Another reminder, water safety

manitoubass2

Many of you might remember I went through the ice on the rainy river this past winter. Thankfully I was wearing my float suit.

Well today nature decided, once again, for whatever reason I needed another wake up call.

The last week water levels dropped over 6ft allowing me to fish my favorite spots best spots for bass.

Well 30 or so minutes in, for whatever reason(I cannot remember exactly) I ended up in the water above the manitou rapids.

Here is what I remember...

2 boats fishing nearby below the rapids for the international falls bass tourny.

Thinking how silly would it look if I fell in?

Well, by the end of that thought I was feet first down the rapids smashing what seemed to be every rock in the vaccinity...

Then im on shore.

Broken and battered, confused. It all took what seemed like 1 second.

Ashore, both boats arrived to make sure I was ok. Good on ya fellas and many thanks!

If I could remember names Id contact the local papers and tell of your good deed.

Im alive, well and no worse for wear other than an undiagnosed knee injury( yeah it hurts falling on and hittin rocks).

But im alive?

Anyhow, all you shore anglers, steelheaders etc. RESPECT THAT CURRENT!

For reference, here is a photo of my brother in law I took two days ago. Where I fell in was about 20 feet east of that location20160824_195612_zpsttspzpaf.jpg

Edited by manitoubass2

You have to tie yourself to a tree when fishing alone. Hope you got your rod back :)

I had a friend step into a 'hole' in Nov fishing steel and all I hear was "save my rod" it got shallow but the wanders filled; we lit a fire took off his clothes and dried him out!

Don't make it three times!

DUDE NO!

Yeppers. Pretty bummed. More importantly I just started a new job as well?

Another mri is needed then probably surgery.

I got my fingers crossed that surgery is not needed and if it is, its a short recovery time.

My dad happened to do this last year playing squash and it was 4 months after surgery then 3 months rehab.

I sincerely hope thats not how my case is

I know the science has improved and ive seen full recovery is as little as 6 weeks

Edited by manitoubass2

I read this earlier but didn't have time to respond. Tell me it ain't so. You know I tore my knee up a few times many moons or decades ago. First my right MCL, when you have enough trauma to tear any knee ligament it is a given you have chewed up the cartilages too. I had a crap repair on my MCL and meniscus cartilage. 2 years later I tore the ACL in a game in Montreal. I hate Montreal and have never been back. Your life isn't going to be the same, sorry just a reality, unless, and a big unless you are willing to put in the hard, long, excruciating pain full work. We call it homework. If you don't rehab it properly you will have a have a replacement in your late 40's. I don't want to scare you, maybe I do. Lose the weight now, work the upper body and when the surgeon says start your rehab you are in the zone at the gym.

I pray you had a bad diagnosis. Get to Toronto if you can, Dr. Jackson if he's still there. Leaf and Argo guy.

I read this earlier but didn't have time to respond. Tell me it ain't so. You know I tore my knee up a few times many moons or decades ago. First my right MCL, when you have enough trauma to tear any knee ligament it is a given you have chewed up the cartilages too. I had a crap repair on my MCL and meniscus cartilage. 2 years later I tore the ACL in a game in Montreal. I hate Montreal and have never been back. Your life isn't going to be the same, sorry just a reality, unless, and a big unless you are willing to put in the hard, long, excruciating pain full work. We call it homework. If you don't rehab it properly you will have a have a replacement in your late 40's. I don't want to scare you, maybe I do. Lose the weight now, work the upper body and when the surgeon says start your rehab you are in the zone at the gym.

I pray you had a bad diagnosis. Get to Toronto if you can, Dr. Jackson if he's still there. Leaf and Argo guy.

Oh its work time buddy! Ive already been back in the gym these past few weeks so im already in the zone(yeah that first week or so sucks)

Its my right knee. Its always been weak from a few knee on knee hits early in my hockey days. The at 20 or so I tore my hamstring. So this knee haa never been 100% since. Alot of built up scar tissue thats for sure.

Im heading to the sports science center in thunderbay tomorrow. Its a fantastic hospital and the drs are great. My dr did my dads acl 3 years back and he was back playing squash in 3 months. These guys dont mess around, pretty much get the "professional athlete" treatment.

Im not happy about it. But the good that comes with the bad is Ill be back in incredible shape much quicker.

Bad news is work and family life. Ill be laid up alot of times and when im not its recovery mode.

Fishing is almost completely off the list till next softwater season(taking the boat out to mainville one last time)

Thanks for the tips OI. If there is one guy on this board I trust with injury talk, its you my friend!

Yeppers. Pretty bummed. More importantly I just started a new job as well?

Another mri is needed then probably surgery.

I got my fingers crossed that surgery is not needed and if it is, its a short recovery time.

My dad happened to do this last year playing squash and it was 4 months after surgery then 3 months rehab.

I sincerely hope thats not how my case is

I know the science has improved and ive seen full recovery is as little as 6 weeks

....... Oh man, I hope the new employers are supportive and help make your recovery as swift and "painless" as possible.

Good luck Rick!

....... Oh man, I hope the new employers are supportive and help make your recovery as swift and "painless" as possible.

Good luck Rick!

Yeah man they are awesome! No worries other than how to adapt for me.

Brian, I hope work is going good man! I miss havin yeah up my way!

When the stars align, give me a call or txt and ill call you

Thanks for all the input OFC! Appreciated as always!