Fishing Lake Temagami for first time

LostAnotherOne

In a couple of weeks my wife and I are heading to Lake Temagami for a week of none stop fishing. We are renting a houseboat and luckily we are able to tow my boat behind it. I have zero experience on this lake and was hoping maybe some of you guys can give me a few pointers. We will be leaving the town of Temagami and I have read that there will be enough gas to get to Sandy inlet and back. The game plan is to mix it up with trolling, jigging, and casting. Love to wipe Lake Trout and Whitefish off my bucket list. Thanks

I have been making trips to Lake Temagami on the regular for 2 years now since I learned downrigging. Hands down one of the best lakes for trout in Ontario (excluding the great lakes). Lots of people helped me along the way so it's good form for me to pass that on...

You will want to put one line around 60-70 feet and one at the thermocline, which should be around 30ft now.

Location is important, focus on open water and try to follow sunken ridges and structures. Look at cross bay on webapp.navionics and you will see what I mean. Also try the southern end of the "bowl" south of cattle Island.

Ripplin' red fins are okay, but my favorite just a medium sized gang troll with a small threaded minnow.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

• 4 weeks later...

You do know that if you guys that seem to be so frequently hitting Temagami stopped by the dock I'd be more than happy to point out some fishing spots and some of the better crown camping spots further up the lake. I may even let you play on the slide!!! :o Home after 4 full months on the lake of what we considered deserved RnR.

Edited by irishfield

• 1 year later...
On 21/09/2016 at 10:54 PM, irishfield said:

You do know that if you guys that seem to be so frequently hitting Temagami stopped by the dock I'd be more than happy to point out some fishing spots and some of the better crown camping spots further up the lake. I may even let you play on the slide!!! :o Home after 4 full months on the lake of what we considered deserved RnR.

Hello Irishfield. No way is your place the one with the massive slide!? The wife absolutely loves it. We stayed at the provincial park twice last year for the first time and fell in love with the lake. Thought I had the smallies down in July but went back mid August and had no luck! We just booked June 22nd for a week this year in hopes to slay some smallies this time! Will you be around during that time or do you have any inlets or islands to point us to or bait set ups... I enjoy the plastics and casting more so than trolling but whatever gets me a chunker!! Would love to talk

Thanks.

Jon 

Yep, that's us at "Wayne's World". Never sure of our schedule as we make it up as we go along with guests and the need to come back home every few weeks to cut 8 acres of grass. The only time that I fish for smallies is casting off my docks and that generally catches me a pike or pickerel instead!

slide.jpg

Edited by irishfield