Lots of small eyes on Pigeon.

captpierre

this started up last year...sounds like things are staying positive. my buddies have a place at the ganny, up until last year it was rare for them to catch eyes...then all of sudden the population sort of exploded. We were bass fishing for a few days and we ended up boating 6 eyes over the two days.

The pattern has continued this year, they are getting as easy as the bass to catch. Great news. Thats what winter closure does for the population apparently.

Walleye were never open during the winter on Pigeon Lake. I kind of hope it's the slot sizes that were initiated, but they are a cyclic fish when it comes to spawning success, so my thought is they had a good year and that class is showing up now just under the slot.

Walleye were never open during the winter on Pigeon Lake. I kind of hope it's the slot sizes that were initiated, but they are a cyclic fish when it comes to spawning success, so my thought is they had a good year and that class is showing up now just under the slot.

Yup, a good spawn a couple years ago. The tri lakes and sturgeon were hurting for eyes for a few years, but now they are starting to come back. It will get better in time as long as trent severn doesn't mess up any more year classes in the spring water levels.

S.

How deep are you finding them Captain?

I think the average size will increase as fall approaches and the water cools. If the weather continues to be this stupid hot, that could be a ways off.

Anywhere from 8-25 ft off weedy humps mainly.

No apparent colour preference.

Catching the odd mid sized ski too jigging for eyes

So far I'm impressed with the Nonofil I put on in the spring. 10 lb with an 8 lb Vanish leader( 10+ yr old Vanish too).

Putting on crazy glue to secure plastic jigs has helped. Still lose a lot of tails.

No break offs. Even tough snags on the bottom.

Casts real nice.

Peter