Take note of this and help fight this IT IS VERY VERY BAD!!!

BITEME

I've also been hearing from people who believe the low river levels are caused from the water bottling plants as well. Beaver and Bighead are the ones that come to mind. The next time you're by Beautiful Joe Park, there use to be a diving platform back in the day and you can still see the concrete abutment and notice where the water level use to be and what it is now. And on the Beaver, a lot of the shore spots have never been that exposed compared to before.

I hope something can be done before the effects cannot be reversed.

I dont know about you folks, but im 41 years old, I was always taught in school that its our job to protect "the worlds fresh water" what ever happened to that? Why are we depleting said water for profit? Cities with wells so badly polluted that they have to pump water from the great lakes, to this nonsense. Bottled water is like the height of irony. Lets take perfectly clean fresh water put it into toxic plastic bottles and leave them to sit by the skid load in hot trucks and in the sun for weeks before selling them to the end user..Can we just stop it..Enough is enough...

As my profile suggests, I live in the same general area as this, and in fact Nestle has come up with plans to take more water from the area as well. One thing that absolutely enrages me is seeing people in Fergus on garbage day with blue boxes full of water bottles. I grew up on well water from a 200' drilled well and the water in Fergus is just as good. I truly think some people don't see the irony in what they're doing when they're buying bottled water when it's coming from essentially the same aquifer as the water that comes basically free from their tap.

The beer and soda industries take dozens of times more water than the bottled water industry does, I guess they need to stop too. Weather it comes from the ground or from the lake it's all the same watershed. I have no skin in the game but right now my well is dry and the farmers are still irrigating, the golf course is green, the beer is still flowing along with the Coke & Pepsi. The water industry is only a small piece of this puzzle but it seems to draw the attention of some of these so called 'Environmental Groups' like the Wellington Water Watchers who seem to have an agenda. I don't often drink bottled water myself and couldn't care if Nestle's closed or not but there are lots of industries that use way more water that don't seem to be vilified the way the water companies are.

Edited by G.mech

The beer and soda industries take dozens of times more water than the bottled water industry does, I guess they need to stop too. Weather it comes from the ground or from the lake it's all the same watershed. I have no skin in the game but right now my well is dry and the farmers are still irrigating, the golf course is green, the beer is still flowing along with the Coke & Pepsi. The water industry is on a small piece of this puzzle but it seems to draw the attention of some of these so called 'Environmental Groups' like the Wellington Water Watchers who seem to have an agenda....

What's the agenda? I'm all for conspiracy theories.

So the mining companies and the golf courses that take a larger amount of water is o.k.? If you want to save the water make sure it is all of the abusers not the ones selected for you by the people who have agendas.

Art

the amount these water bottling plants are drawing are a proverbial drop in the bucket when you look at the overall daily water usage by the entire province

Well if it's only a drop, then they should leave it in the big bucket. If you're anywhere near any stores, you can't help but trip over bottled water, be it Nestle, Aqua fine or X brand. It has to be one of the worst fads humans ever created. Not to mention the bloody plastic bottles all over the place.

So the mining companies and the golf courses that take a larger amount of water is o.k.? If you want to save the water make sure it is all of the abusers not the ones selected for you by the people who have agendas.

Do you think Trump (or anyone else) will make America great again by doing just 1 thing? The point behind this thread is somewhat the same..We have to start somewhere. Bottled water companies offer nothing other then basic chump change. I agree that we should go after the mines and beer and soda companies. However beer is taxed at a higher rate, soda will soon be. Water is sold for next to nothing, barely taxed and the plastic is piling up in a big way. I say go get em..

I agree lets go get them ALL though. I personally do not use bottled water unless it is to replace the bottle I have been refilling. The legitimate use for bottled water is in disaster situations when the potable water is questionable.The tax on water based products goes into the tax base but is not earmarked for water conservation. I won't even get into mining and the contaminants and high volume of water used that kill miles of rivers because they are "overlooked" as long as they provide jobs and political financial enhancements.

Art

Start a petition at www.change.org and I will sign it.

Nestle isn't a very socially responsible corporation. Not that many are.

http://o.canada.com/news/nestle-bottled-water-cost

http://www.dailydot.com/via/nestle-california-bottled-water/

http://www.mintpressnews.com/nestle-continues-stealing-worlds-water-during-drought/203544/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-kaas-boyle/10-reasons-to-boot-nestle_b_7347358.html

goes on an on......

Of course, it's our own fault for buying bottled water in the first place. The biggest scam of the 20th century and just shows how incredibly naive people are.

Art

Bang on Art.

Local pond here, Little lake and the flow in and out, gets sucked up by 4 golf courses. Come fall, the water is so low.

Edited by Brian B

The dirty little secret of the golf courses is two fold not only the use of the water but the chemicals washed into the watershed causing algae blooms and oxygen deprivation or dead zones.

Art

And this lake gets exactly what you say.

If you've ever driven through this part of the country you'll know that pretty much everything is opposed, from gravel pits to wind turbines, and more often than not by the same people. But I still love the attitude of if we can't fix it 100% we shouldn't bother trying.

I think what bothers most people though is how little they pay vs how much they take, and then leave the government to foot the bill.

Still not sure what the "agenda" is...

If you've ever driven through this part of the country you'll know that pretty much everything is opposed, from gravel pits to wind turbines, and more often than not by the same people. But I still love the attitude of if we can't fix it 100% we shouldn't bother trying.

I think what bothers most people though is how little they pay vs how much they take, and then leave the government to foot the bill.

I don't think people are saying that we shouldn't try. I think they're saying that going after a 25% or 30% user would be more beneficial than targetting a 1% user.

So true... Hamilton is getting a large grant for an LRT in the lower city that will go far east to west end and recently I've started to see "stop the LRT in Hamilton signs" lol

Neither am I, you'd have to ask Wellington Water Watchers why their prime target for over a decade has been Nestle Waters and not any of the dozens of other corporations who draw water under permit in far greater quantities to use for profit. To be clear, I'm not a proponent of Nestle Water or any other bottled water company I'm just pointing out that WWW's focus seems very narrow for some reason when there are plenty of other companies doing essentially the same thing.

Edited by G.mech

Not trying to be a smartass here, but I did try to do a bit of research to see who the biggest water users are and had little success. Basically all I got was national statistics. Interestingly enough, the paper industry drew about 45% of all freshwater drawn in the country, and Ontario and Quebec by far the biggest industrial water users. So I'm asking, in Wellington County, particularly in Aberfoyle and Elora, who are the biggest water takers?

Not trying to be a smartass here, but I did try to do a bit of research to see who the biggest water users are and had little success. Basically all I got was national statistics. Interestingly enough, the paper industry drew about 45% of all freshwater drawn in the country, and Ontario and Quebec by far the biggest industrial water users. So I'm asking, in Wellington County, particularly in Aberfoyle and Elora, who are the biggest water takers?

I found this link which is quite interesting. It is a map showing all the Water Taking Permits in Ontario. If you click on the dots, it tells you the company and the permitted volume/day. Interestingly, Nestle is permitted at 3,600,000 liters/day and right next door the old Dufferin Aggregates (now called CRH Group) plant is permitted over 8,000,000 per day and St Mary's Cement is permitted for 23,000,000. The Victoria Park Golf Club has 3 permits totaling almost 3,000,000 lpd. These are just a couple of examples of the hundreds of permits on the map to look through, I'm sure you'll be surprised how many industries are pulling water from that watershed in huge quantities. This is why I don't understand WWW's focus on only one mid sized user/abuser.

Edit: I just noticed that a large vegetable farm just down the road from me has 7 different permits each over 7,000,000 lpd (total 14 times that of Nestle's) and has been irrigating continuously all summer (for profit) which may have something to do with my well being dry.....hmmm.

https://www.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/map-permits-take-water

Edited by G.mech

as for Hamilton LRT, while the Provincial and Federal (to a lesser degree) want to pump in over $1B in money for Hamilton's proposed LRT, Hamilton itself needs to come up with just under a matching figure.

THAT CANNOT BE DONE IN OUR CITY.

We CANNOT come up with a billion dollars of municipal money for the LRT.

It makes 0 - and I mean ZERO sense.

We need better Go Station access. We need direct trains to Toronto (Union Station) with no stops.

We need more lanes on the 403. We need more lanes on the Redhill.

Our social systems need major funding. Education. Housing. Geez. I can't even imagine putting a billion dollars of municipal tax payer money into a stupid LRT line going from Westdale to Eastgate.

I'm a born, bred, and huge supporter of Hamilton....and always have been.

If they build the LRT, that is the last straw. I will be outta here.

Dumbest move, far surpassing the capping of Randals Reef or the Reconstruction of Ivor Wynne at the existing location - both of which are massive blunders to our city.

as for Hamilton LRT, while the Provincial and Federal (to a lesser degree) want to pump in over $1B in money for Hamilton's proposed LRT, Hamilton itself needs to come up with just under a matching figure.

THAT CANNOT BE DONE IN OUR CITY.

We CANNOT come up with a billion dollars of municipal money for the LRT.

It makes 0 - and I mean ZERO sense.

We need better Go Station access. We need direct trains to Toronto (Union Station) with no stops.

We need more lanes on the 403. We need more lanes on the Redhill.

Our social systems need major funding. Education. Housing. Geez. I can't even imagine putting a billion dollars of municipal tax payer money into a stupid LRT line going from Westdale to Eastgate.

I'm a born, bred, and huge supporter of Hamilton....and always have been.

If they build the LRT, that is the last straw. I will be outta here.

Dumbest move, far surpassing the capping of Randals Reef or the Reconstruction of Ivor Wynne at the existing location - both of which are massive blunders to our city.

I don't disagree with that at all, I think the west harbour was probably the best option for the stadium, we definitely do need a large fix for all highways in and out,and go train access from the downtown core would be huge, just need to figure out the parking, or lack thereof.

But I definitely agree that a lot of choices made by city council make you scratch your head, and a lot of it seems to be the if it ain't broke don't fix it approach where even if it's an outdated idea they'll move ahead with it anyway.

Steve for Mayor! Lol

Edited by Lucas F