lost a trailer plate

kickingfrog

I lost my boat trailer plate on a terrible private road. Picked up a new one but I'm trying to think on a better way to attached it to the trailer now. The plate mount that I had has the licence plate below the break/signal light and is going to come off again if I don't do something different.

Is there any reason I can't just mount it to the back frame of the trailer with zip ties or wire?

I lost my boat trailer plate on a terrible private road. Picked up a new one but I'm trying to think on a better way to attached it to the trailer now. The plate mount that I had has the licence plate below the break/signal light and is going to come off again if I don't do something different.

Is there any reason I can't just mount it to the back frame of the trailer with zip ties or wire?

simple answer...no not at all...if the plate is displayed prominently it does not matter how you attach it to the vehicle. (restricting safety concerns)

As a guy into the modified car scene for years many of us mounted our front license plates in interesting ways...it is never an issue until the police cannot see it.

You can definitely zip tie it onto the trailer.

I get the light thing, just like a rear plate on vehicles but it's not lit now. The only "light" is the red tail light and we know that that doesn't light spit.

The light on plates is a dated law that serves no purpose now but to write someone up for it.

Currently replacing a plate ($35) is far cheaper than a ticket so back it goes.

I get the light thing, just like a rear plate on vehicles but it's not lit now. The only "light" is the red tail light and we know that that doesn't light spit.

The light on plates is a dated law that serves no purpose now but to write someone up for it.

Currently replacing a plate ($35) is far cheaper than a ticket so back it goes.

Yep, my trailer doesn't have a light on the plate either.

Came that way from factory.

Never had an issue with the cops over it.

I need to move mine as it's getting beat up and could easily suffer the same fate as the OP's.

My first boat I used a flat bed trailer to haul it around.

It was hard to see the plate so I hung it on a chain around the OB so the cops could see it.

Got pulled over and they said it needs to be on the trailer and that it didn't matter if they couldn't see it. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

I'm pretty sure legally all that is required on a trailer is one red light (lamp),

No signals, break lights, reflectors or plate lights are required in the Highway Traffic Act. They make the trailer manufacturers put that stuff on though.

Did the plate break off or did the screws-bolts vibrate loose? I always used 1/4 - 20 stainless bolts with nylock fasteners on mine, never lost a plate or bolt. You can drill a couple of extra holes in the plate and use cable ties for added protection?

Wow....only 1 red light in Ontario. Here in Quebec, trailers must have 2 red running lights with brake lights and signal lights.

Yea that seems strange to me?

We really arent required to have signal lights on a trailer?

My right tail light is out and i was going to re-wire the whole trailer, but do i even need to legally? Doesn't make sense to me

Wow....only 1 red light in Ontario. Here in Quebec, trailers must have 2 red running lights with brake lights and signal lights.

If your trailer is less than 30" wide you are allowed only 1 red tail light plus 2 reflectors either side.... over 30" 2 red tail brake lights and signal lights ... your signal lights do not need to be red.. can be amber for your signals only .... you need to dig deeper into the laws....

Edited by Loonietoon

If your trailer is less than 30" wide you are allowed only 1 red tail light plus 2 reflectors either side.... over 30" 2 red tail brake lights and signal lights ... your signal lights do not need to be red.. can be amber for your signals only .... you need to dig deeper into the laws....

I'de like to be shown where this is written, i cant find it

I'de like to be shown where this is written, i cant find it

If you go into www.etrailer.com/faq-trailerlighting-info-and-regulations.aspx you will find it. I have been in transportation Safety for over 10 yrs and also a driver for 40yrs and if you think about it... every trailer on the road is required by law to have 2 stop,signal and brake lights and trailers over 80" are required to have marker lights

Edited by Loonietoon

If you go into www.etrailer.com/faq-trailerlighting-info-and-regulations.aspx you will find it. I have been in transportation Safety for over 10 yrs and also a driver for 40yrs and if you think about it... every trailer on the road is required by law to have 2 stop,signal and brake lights and trailers over 80" are required to have marker lights

Thanks

Think about it... if you came upon a trailer with only 1 light and you could not see the vehicle pulling the trailer... how would you know if said vehicle was turning right or left if you could not see the the lights on towing vehicle :rolleyes::w00t::whistling: something to think about when it comes to LOGIC

Think about it... if you came upon a trailer with only 1 light and you could not see the vehicle pulling the trailer... how would you know if said vehicle was turning right or left if you could not see the the lights on towing vehicle :rolleyes::w00t::whistling: something to think about when it comes to LOGIC

That's exactly why i asked....because another site linked said otherwise. Didn't believe it to be true but i wanted to see the writing that proved it wrong.

The link you provided didn't work, but it did direct me to a site that seems to have some nice light kits i am going to order now.