More Backwoods Brookie Action

ckewley

Well the list of lakes was pulled out again & this time we were going to step up to something a little more challenging. 4am rolls & I'm off to pack the canoe then off to pick up my bud, we make great time getting up to the Haliburton Highlands but the trek into the first lake was long & slow. After taking it easy the first time out with the new canoe we wanted to put some KMs under the her belt so the first lake is a rather long lake with a lot of sheltered bays that we were going to hit on the way out, time permitting, for Bass, as there is supposed to be some decent ones in there if you can find them, but we were on mission fish'n for Brookies! 5km in we find the right bay for the first portage.

028_zpsdk24bswp.jpg

Just love the scenery in these Shield lakes

027_zps03zdglcf.jpg

The first portage while still in the easily doable range was a lot more challenging than the last outing. There was signs of bears all over the place so was on higher alert.

019_zpsk9mpi4om.jpg

Arrive at the second lake & was met with this sight

002_zpso9hkyqzz.jpg

The action here would be fast & furious. Nothing of size but tons of action.

008_zpshmcuyeti.jpg

005_zpsfi7cpfrw.jpg

So after running the clock at this lake, but who could you blame with more double headers than I ever witnessed, it was time to move on to the real destination. Another decent trek through the bush put us on the beautiful lake.

010_zpsogmltroi.jpg

The day would just melt here. 4-5-6 times the size of the last little lake, but man what a lake. We would wrap this lake catching a few here & there. Then something strange happened, started hearing a seagull squawking overhead, this MF started dive bombing us. One pass nearly making us tip over. We B-line for the shore away from it thinking maybe it's protecting a nest but no matter where we went this dude was still at us. Once on shore he would still hover about but stay well above paddle swinging distance, so we turn to shore fishing. Now maybe this bird was trying to guide us to a spot or it was just luck but man fishing from this spot was spectacular. Again nothing to big, maybe 3/4lb being the biggest we'd land this day but numbers. They were hitting any & everything we threw out there. The Spinner bite was by far the best.

013_zpsxx13ikla.jpg

My battery died shortly after this picture was taken but ended our day on a seriously good note. A ton of Brookies caught, a few beers were drank, whisky that burns you in a good way (66%) a few more KM added to the list & time shared with good folks.

017_zps2uhoo3yv.jpg