My reel is clicking. Not working properly.

rhymobot

Hi guys.

Just wondering if you think this reel is toast. Some serious clicking/grinding. Considering my two mithcell avocets cost 30 or 35 bucks, I am probably better off junking them and buying something else on sale for $30 to $35 since I'm not a hardcore angler.

I have these two:

https://www.sail.ca/en/fishing/reels/spinning/mitchell-avocet-iv-silver-110-4-5-4-1-175030

https://www.sail.ca/en/fishing/reels/spinning/mitchell-avocet-rz-500-moulinet-110-4-5-4-1-124510

They silver one much worse than the black one.

Both of them within weeks of buying them a year ago started to click when reeling in but only with a fish on. And I landed those fish. And I was using these reels as my 2nd and 3rd options. My Tactik, also for a similar price, was my #1 is still incredibly smooth and works great after 14 months.

My old rapala from like 8 years ago from a cheap combo also works amazingly after all these years.

But back to these two mitchells, after watching this vid, do you think I could somehow fix myself? No point in getting someone to fix them because it'll probably cost the same as buying.

In this video I'm reeling in barely touching weeds. When I'm reeling through a thick weed bed it's worse. And when I had two fish on this past weekend the clicking was much worse than what you hear and I could not reel in smoothly at all and lost both fish. Both probably 1.5 to 2 lb bass.

https://vimeo.com/177246412

Thanks guys.

Edited by rhymobot

Ya, personally, I'd allocate money to buying a new reel, instead of fixing the Mitchell, especially in that price range. There are some clearance items under the $50 mark that probably just takes a few minutes of browsing, instead of spending an hour trying to fix the reel.

Daiwa or Shimano would certainly have smaller reel sizes to replace your Mitchells. Sienna or Sonora both come in 1000 sizes and would be a decent upgrade. It's never fun to have equipment failing on you when you try to land that biggun'.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

to be honest...you get what you pay for for the most part...

buy 5 30 dollar reels...or buy 1 200 dollar reel and it will last a lifetime.

Lots of guys would disagree, but the only reels ive ever had completely fall apart on me or fail were 50 or less.

Im a big fan of the sienna...its a nice feeling cheap spinning reel...but if you fish it too much it too will fail. Ive had mine a couple of years and the bearings inevitably started to fail.

Edited by AKRISONER

it almost looked like the side plate was loose in the video? I'd start with taking them apart and seeing what's going on, might just need some light grease/lube

they reel fine if you play with them, but start clicking under load? does the rotor slip when this happens?

It's pretty much $30 to diagnose and fix an easy issue on a reel. On a cheaper reel, it's very hard to diagnose what the symptom is without seeing it. Does it tick with the spool off reeling in fast with no tension? Bearings can tick hardcore if the reels have tweaked out of alignment too....

Honestly tho u should buy a new reel(s) that are meant to come apart and be serviced annually. Great examples include saros and up quality. Sienna to Symetre is good, but I've noticed weird qc issues below saros (more so on avg then saros and up models).

Kick it to the curb and give it to guests who don't know what's good

I use what is considered pretty crappy reels when I shorefish because they get beat to hell and back.

One reel that has proven beyond its worth is the Okuma Avenger(bout $45 if they still make it???) The 2500 size is perfect. I own 4 and all are in perfect working order after 7 years.

I just bought a daiwa revros($65) and after a week its still a great reel??? but a lil heavier.

On the lake I only use stradics(absolutely worth the price).

Those 1000 series mitchel avocets? Are good for the ice, if ya get out like 3x a year for walleye or panfish.

Edited by manitoubass2

I would visually check the reels and tighten all the screws. There should be no wobble in the spool or handle. Take the side piece off the reel and apply reel grease to the interior. Don't spend any money on them. If they still make noise, throw them away. You can buy a Phleuger President 2000 for 80 dollars. You will be pleasantly surprised. Keep your eyes open for good deals. There are lots of them. I recently bought a Stradic 1000 FJ for 120 dollars the other day. I've tried many 50 dollar reels that I paid 20 or 25 dollars on sale and they do not last long or they are not smooth or the braking system is faulty. However, I do have some more expensive reels that are still working like new after 20 years. I don't have the budget for 200 dollar reels but 80 to 100 dollars will buy you a great reel. Baitcasting reels is another matter. You will have to spend more for a decent one.

it's definitely clicking and grinding more and more the heavier the load. so weeds makes it worse and with a fish on i'm not only fighting the fish but i'm fighting the reel because it's bad.

but it doesn't feel like line is slipping.

anyway, thanks for the suggestions. i will maybe try and open it up one day and play around with it.

• 1 month later...

Just seen this posted online at the SAIL stores. The Rapala Kaos spinning reels on sale from $70 to $35. So there is a reel to look at in the "value" price range.

Yup. Saw that one. Definitely good value.

I bought the 3500 from Sail in Burlington. They didn't have the 2500 there, which I wanted for bass, but the 3500 works well for pike and trolling.

After using it several times now, it is silky smooth. Best reel I've ever had. Landed my PB smallie on it last week on G-bay and that bronze bugger just didn't want to be netted. Literally took over a minute to land it and the reel held up incredibly well. Had 20 lb braid on it.

I don't own a Shimano reel!

The OP suggested that he is not currently an avid fisherman, which to me means that he will not be using the reel every day or weekend. His budget is somewhat restricted, so I suggested a reel that has performed flawlessly for me for a few years.

Are they the best reel on the market, obviously not, but for limited use they have been just fine.

I don't need a Lexus to go to the grocery store.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

I don't own a Shimano reel!

The OP suggested that he is not currently an avid fisherman, which to me means that he will not be using the reel every day or weekend. His budget is somewhat restricted, so I suggested a reel that has performed flawlessly for me for a few years.

Are they the best reel on the market, obviously not, but for limited use they have been just fine.

I don't need a Lexus to go to the grocery store.

HH

I get that Joe (as I'm sure others do too) but I take it he got the Rapala I told him about on sale and likes it. Me, I can pick up a Shimano for $50 or less and have zero issues with it. I like how they feel and that I can go get warranty work done close to home is all. If AUB or others had a local warranty place to me then I'd give those brands a try too (and I have in the past and not been happy with the product after a short time).