New PB Musky

mike rousseau

Hey gang

So I've had a tough start to my musky year... So I decided the other day to take a break and fish walleye for a few weeks to get ready for a couple tournaments... And wouldn't you know it second day walleye fishing I get the biggest musky of my life... Go figure...

I was trolling for walleye when she hit... It wasn't long before I realized it wasn't a walleye... Then when I got my first look at her I almost puked... After a few good runs she behaved herself and settled down boat side.... I had to hand bomb her so I put some gloves on (anyone who thinks I'm a sissy hasn't hand bombed a 50" fish)... First attempt she did a big shake and bumped the boat shifting the small walleye crank to the inside of her mouth... I almost puked again... I thought it was over... We got her close again and I grabbed the line to position her and she did another head shake breaking the walleye crank at the lip breaking her connection between me and her... I was left holding the line attached to nothing but the lip of a taildancer... A second seamed like an hour while I looked at the fish of a lifetime swim away... NOT ON MY WATCH... I dive nearly falling out of the boat and managed to grab her by the tail and miraculously she didn't run... I quickly got another hand under the gill plate and slid her over the side of the boat...

If I had this happen another hundred times I'd bet against the tail grab every time but I got lucky today

And here she is... 56 glorious inches of accidental, hand landed, lure breaking Musky

C6012CD3-2CB2-4F2D-94A5-A04569C5EF95.jpg

she got to be a 56" by learning how to bust a bait I guess... NICE FISH!!! and congrats on the PB too!!!

who cares about the gloves too... I know bass guys who want to avoid bass thumb and use a golf glove all day...

Edited by GBW

between the hooks stuck in my hand with all size fish and teeth i'm fine with a glove. in fact I think I'll be packing one for my next trip!

Man my hands are cut right up.

Doesnt bother me but yeah, a big fish makes you recalculate lol.

No problems with those using gloves at all

Sorry mike...

May the thread go on!

Edited by manitoubass2

AttaBoy Mike, outstanding fish and a great tale to go with it, congrats on the PB.

Don't worry about what anyone thinks about you putting on that glove, I once got my thumb sliced open for 8 stitches from a dopey little 30"er.