Johnson 6hp motor dies while in gear

Tjames09

So I bought an old 70s johnson off kijij and it was running fine on the first day but now the motor dies in gear. It will start and idle but once in gear and moving it dies. The boat is in lindsay so if anyone lives in lindsay and can help I'd be happy to feed you offer beer etc. My wife's ready to kill me about this lol

OK, first thing is check the exhaust, make sure it isn't plugged up with anything. (zebra mussels can do a real number on them)

Next is the carb, fuel line, anything to do with the fuel system (fuel filter if there is one).

It doesn't sound like a serious problem if the motor starts and runs at idle it's likely a fuel/air problem!

OK, first thing is check the exhaust, make sure it isn't plugged up with anything. (zebra mussels can do a real number on them)

Next is the carb, fuel line, anything to do with the fuel system (fuel filter if there is one).

It doesn't sound like a serious problem if the motor starts and runs at idle it's likely a fuel/air problem!

Ok I'll be honest. I know next to nothing about outboards. Where is the exhaust on an out board. The motor was going into idle, but now it is not starting. I may have flooded it with gas trying to get it to start.

​Same thing happened to my older Johnson 10 horse motor, changed the fuel line

​and squeeze bulb hose assembly. presto, problem solved.

When you say fuel line do you mean exterior fuel line from tank to motor or interior one

Have you done anything to it ..checked cond of spark plugs etc

The spark plugs are new from previous owner. And they look good, but that's just a visual inspection. I could buy new ones I'm sure from can dian tire for little cost?

He means the tank line from tank,ball to motor.Does the ball look like it is sucked in?

The ball does not look sucked in.

Try some SeaFoam.If it's a fuel issue this may solve it.Are you using a metal or plastic fuel container?Old metal ones can let old crap into the motor.

It's an old metal one. I've used seafoam before on small engines but they had intakes to put the seafoam in like a lawn mower you remove the air intake and pour the seafoam to clear the carb. How do I do that with this engine? There's no air filter to remove to pour seafoam into to clean the carb. Unless you mean just adding it to the fuel.

James - I had a situation like this recently but with a mower. Big Cliff helped me out on this one. Drain your fuel tank to see if there is any water in your gas. If so, discard that old gas, slosh a bit of gas around in the tank to clean out any debris that is possibly in the tank. Buy fresh Shell V power gas, it contains no ethanol. Good luck!

It's an old metal one. I've used seafoam before on small engines but they had intakes to put the seafoam in like a lawn mower you remove the air intake and pour the seafoam to clear the carb. How do I do that with this engine? There's no air filter to remove to pour seafoam into to clean the carb. Unless you mean just adding it to the fuel.

Never a bad idea to use it all year in the gas tank. Also seeing is that is an older metal one you may want to look at a new tank

My exact answer. Edited by Woodsman

Bought a new tank and new line. Engin did the same thing. Got it to idle nicely. Took it out on the lake and it died within 100 yards of starting. Also replaced the spark plugs. I broke down and took it a marina. I don't what I'm doing and it's not a simple fix it seems. Not to mentiom a new tank and line was over $100. I have a fear that by the time it's done at the marina I shoukd have bought a brand new motor as the cost will be the same.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you more but with all my tools in storage until after we move and with my garage packed full of stuff for the pending move, there isn't much I could do. I do suspect the carb is the issue and cleaning it and a simple carb kit should solve the problem. I wouldn't expect the cost to be more than max. $150.00 parts and labor.

Edited by Big Cliff

Did you try the SeaFoam?

Sounds to me like the high speed orifice is clogged.

Idles fine but when you go to speed up the fuels not getting through. Piece of crap from the old tank could do this. Happened to me.

SeaFoam may be a quick/cheap fix.

The new tank will not fix the problem but will stop it from reoccurring.

Edited by Woodsman

Ok, lets do this properly! Ernie had a good point, could be a coil but before we can rule that out we need to know more about the motor. Instead of just offering possible solutions we need to know some facts. How old is the motor? The serial number can help us there, do you have it?

It's so much harder to try to figure out these things when you don't have the item in front of you. Sometimes just the sound can provide you with a clue.

What Cliff means here is make a video and post it ;)

So you aren't just another pretty face LOL.

That would also be a great help but knowing the SN will give us a clue to the age of the motor, from that we can determine the type of ignition system and fuel supply system.

That would also be a great help but knowing the SN will give us a clue to the age of the motor, from that we can determine the type of ignition system and fuel supply system.

Actually with Johnson's it's the model # you want to determine the year & options of the motor. Edited by Woodsman

Thanks guys but I took it to the local marina in Lindsay. It's the mechanic on trent if anyone's had experience there

. To my best knowledge it's a 1970s Johnson. And I can't start the motor anymore as I broke the spring inside the starter trying to start it so many times ha.