Would these be safe conditions?

Rizzo

Was hoping to fish Lake O tomorrow launching under skyway bridge. Plan was to fish from 6 am to 9:30, but I see winds in the 15-20 k range out of the east. Since I have only fished Lake O twice not sure what effect this would have. I would think not great...hence my question. I am in a 16 8 foot alumacraft full windshield. For those who know these waters...is this suitable to go out in or best to keep the boat in the garage?

West end of the lake with a sustained east wind is a big NOPE for me.

It screws up the fishing even after the waves subside, cause it pushes all the warm water to this end of the lake, fishing is none too good when you are getting 60F temps at 80 feet down.

it didn't take much...a lot like when I got that first musky...sold. So close to home, big fighting fish what 's not to like! Not sure i will ever get downriggers but I have 3 dipseys now...one of em gets down 100 feet! I am afraid to see what lives deeper than 100 feet (giant squid?) so dipsey's should be fine

East or north east winds and I stayed off of Lake Erie.

That's an offshore wind for us over this side, usually not bad if close to shore, if you are ten miles out it don't really much matter which direction on Erie. I've had white knuckle days when it kicked up suddenly coming in with the breakers and also coming in against them.

crossed the skyway bridge this morning in Hamilton...no boats out and at least four foot waves from the East.

I was out today's from Hamilton , there were about 50 boats off Bronte, no way those were 4 ft. 2.5 maybe . Nice day to be out but the water was bathtub warm even a 100 ft down in 225 fow. Fishing sucked. Nice day for a boatride though.

I was out today's from Hamilton , there were about 50 boats off Bronte, no way those were 4 ft. 2.5 maybe . Nice day to be out but the water was bathtub warm even a 100 ft down in 225 fow. Fishing sucked. Nice day for a boatride though.

see my post #7 in this thread

From my experience with east winds, I never bothered going out in them. Learned very early the fish aren't interested, the passengers get sick quickly, and it's just a waste of time.

Dave had it pegged at post #7!

As soon as there are a couple of days of west winds, things will start improving IMO

That's an offshore wind for us over this side, usually not bad if close to shore, if you are ten miles out it don't really much matter which direction on Erie. I've had white knuckle days when it kicked up suddenly coming in with the breakers and also coming in against them.

That was the nice thing about fishing this side of the lake, the change in the prevailing winds. Late spring and summer usually meant south-southwest-west- or southeast winds, for smallies here most of the time I was never more than a mile offshore. I can imagine some days that look good on this side seem a bit risky on the north side!