V hull vs flat bottom

pike slayer

I just picked up a brand new 3.5hp mercury and it's a beauty little motor. I currently have a friends 12' that he never uses(wife is against fishing lol poor guy) but I want a boat to call my own. I see Jon boats are very cheap brand new and I like the idea of a flat bottom but I read they are horrible in chop. I fish only inland lakes in the sault area and probably the biggest lake I'll fish is wakami. Are Jons fine if I get into a bit of wind? Or just get a vhull? If I go the vhull route I want a light weight one I can use as a "car topper" and for a decent price. What are your recommendations

I decided to buy a deep V boat after renting a 14" Jon boat with a 9.9 on it 9 years ago. I was fishing an inland lake in upper NY state solo. Hardly and wind and zero chop. I came around a bend and a gust of wind nearly flipped the boat over. Water started coming over the transom. I turned it around and went to the shore to load some rocks into it and drain the boat. I paid for 3 days and it sat there for 2, I swore never again. I know there are many people that have and enjoy flat bottom boats, not this guy ever again.

That's kinda what I was thinking. If anything won't I be able to go faster since it'll glade on top of the water inside of cut through the water?

as others posted, load balance and keeping it stable either way. Never fished from a jon type boat and don't care to as I want stable either way. I just know I can take a V and throw a sheet of plywood in it for a flat floor and feel more at ease when at speed with something cutting into the water vs skipping on top.

are you a bigger guy? I'd probably take a car topper vhull over a jon boat myself, but I'm just not a fan of narrow jon boats, ie the 1032 most common size....if you're buying new then check out lowe, they make a 1040, widest I'm aware of on the market, fished out of one earlier this year and was noticeably more stable and comfortable than my 1032 which I didn't keep very long

I agree with Old Ironmaker, buy your self a nice deep V hull. There is a lot of upsides and very few down sides, in fact the only thing that I can think of for benefit of the jon boat over a deep V would be the ability to go in extremely shallow water. But once you factor a motor in it starts to become less of an advantage as the motor will be the common bottom hitter. I had my deep V out on Erie this weekend and trolled the mudline. 2 guys ( 175 lbs and 210lbs) plus my 25 Evinrude and 50lbs Minn kota plus gear. The boat held up quite well but the chop was minimal. I wouldn't venture too far out but it was nice that I could get out on Erie with my 14' Tinny.

With a 3.5hp I really can't see it making much difference...

Not like your hitting waves at 30mph

Yep. You won't be able to fish in anything other than almost completely calm waters anyway, so get whatever you like or is the best deal.

I just sold my 14 foot Espadon Cartopper. Yes, it was a good 48 inches wide and exactly 14 feet long. Maximum size motor was 10 h.p. and it ran a good 30 km/h with only me and a bit of equipment. I used it for about 6 years and it was great. However, too small for more than 2 fishermen and their equipment. Difficult to stand up in but 2 guys could carry it a pretty good distance. Not recommended when the waves have white caps. Since I already have a 14 foot Sportspal canoe, I decided to buy a larger wider aluminum boat. Now I have a 15 foot Princecraft Resorter and 30 h.p. motor. Big difference in comfort , interior space and ability to navigate when the waves have white caps. Lots less rocking motion too.