IP Blockers NF

Big Cliff

For the last couple of years I have been downloading tv shows that we want to watch, we just find it more convenient to be able to watch things when WE want to watch them. Lately though I have been getting emails from our ISP about they have been advised that our IP has been associated with the sharing of copy write materials Bla Bla Bla!

Is this something I need to worry about? Should I be using an IP blocker? If so, which one and how does do I do it?

We aren't trying to do anything illegal, we just want to watch things at our convenience. We are also thinking of getting a TV box when we move. Can anyone give me an idea of : what is a reasonable price, what ones work the best, are they any good?

Sorry to have to keep relying on you all but when I need help you are always the best source!

Old Big Cliff.

For the last couple of years I have been downloading tv shows that we want to watch, we just find it more convenient to be able to watch things when WE want to watch them. Lately though I have been getting emails from our ISP about they have been advised that our IP has been associated with the sharing of copy write materials Bla Bla Bla!

Is this something I need to worry about? Should I be using an IP blocker? If so, which one and how does do I do it?

We aren't trying to do anything illegal, we just want to watch things at our convenience. We are also thinking of getting a TV box when we move. Can anyone give me an idea of : what is a reasonable price, what ones work the best, are they any good?

Sorry to have to keep relying on you all but when I need help you are always the best source!

Old Big Cliff.

What's with this "old" Big Cliff ??? Cripes, what will you be when you reach my age...Ancient ?

It is illegal to distribute copyright material, which includes TV shows. When you do so, the ISPs are obligated to send you warning letters. Eventually, you can get fined. Some people just ignore it all though saying it's not worth if for the copyright owners taking you to court and are counting on people to just pay the ~$500 fines. I haven't really been following any of it, so I am not sure of what the outcomes have been.

It is currently "not illegal" to simply download things. However, when you share a file, it becomes illegal. All torrents work by sharing. There are ways to access streamed content, which just sends data to you without sharing, but if you're not technical, you will probably just get frustrated with it all.

To protect yourself from disclosing your IP address and maintain your privacy, you need to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). Which is basically a remote computer system you pass all the data through and makes it impossible to know what data is being sent/received to which IP address. There are free ones, but they are terrible. You have to pay for a reasonable VPN service. You can find some decent ones that cost $30 to $50US per year.

It's probably better to just look into subscribing to Netflix than bothering with downloading and VPNs etc..

What's a TV box? A media centre like Apple TV or Roku?

I'm guessing the TV box is an illegal box that streams to your TV. Guys at my work sell them for $150. Guys that have them, praise them. They say you can watch absolutely anything you want, from all the brand new stuff to Leave it to Beaver and Gilligan's Island.

you want a VPN to mask your IP when you download movies / tv shows. there are tons of providers out there - private internet access seems to be a popular one

as for the box, it's quickly evolving -- ask this question when you are ready to buy. you should be able to get one sub $100. i have two rasberry pi's running in our house for this purpose.

Edited by Raf

Instead of one of the android boxes, just install Kodi on your PC, laptop , tablet or I even have it on my phone, then you can use a hdmi cable to your TV or if you have a smart TV or a miracast capable device attached to the TV , then wirelessly cast or project it to the TV for better viewing. Anyone have a good cheap VPN they want to recommend?

I'm guessing the TV box is an illegal box that streams to your TV. Guys at my work sell them for $150. Guys that have them, praise them. They say you can watch absolutely anything you want, from all the brand new stuff to Leave it to Beaver and Gilligan's Island.

The CRTC did just pass a law that you can no longer buy a unit with the software on it (kodi basically) but you can still buy the units.

I picked one up for $60 after tax and shipping and because I don't have a 45' network cable I don't use it. Too much buffering over the wifi for me to enjoy a movie or show.

the box is not illegal

however some things you stream could be breaking a minor law or 2 ..lol

many things you could stream are not illegal

Yup. Ton of new movies, shows and every international channel you can think of are out there if you look for it.

It's not the ISP that is sending you the warnings initially, they are just passing it on after they get those threatening letters from the big corps like Disney and Sony etc. It happened to my local provider last year so he blocked all torrents with his firewalls. Simple fix, and many isp's will tell you this, is to use a vpn as has been mentioned. That way all packets are encrypted and no one can see the content of your data.

I did my research, And Private Internet Access consistently was at the top of best providers. They keep absolutely no logs, which is key. That way if they do get a request to turn over any info they may have on their servers about users they just say sure, we're happy to comply, but unfortunately we have no log data, so we have nothing to turn over. :)

I use PIA Cliff. It's $40/year and it works great. It doesn't really slow things down at all and I can pick whichever country I want to go through. https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/

For more info check this out. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403388,00.asp

Cheers

It's not the ISP that is sending you the warnings initially, they are just passing it on after they get those threatening letters from the big corps like Disney and Sony etc. It happened to my local provider last year so he blocked all torrents with his firewalls. Simple fix, and many isp's will tell you this, is to use a vpn as has been mentioned. That way all packets are encrypted and no one can see the content of your data.

I did my research, And Private Internet Access consistently was at the top of best providers. They keep absolutely no logs, which is key. That way if they do get a request to turn over any info they may have on their servers about users they just say sure, we're happy to comply, but unfortunately we have no log data, so we have nothing to turn over. :)

I use PIA Cliff. It's $40/year and it works great. It doesn't really slow things down at all and I can pick whichever country I want to go through. https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/

For more info check this out. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403388,00.asp

Cheers

Thank you so much, that really does help!

This article is informative.

https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/

Make note of which VPNs operate their own servers and don't use third party companies. The VPN will have no control over what the third party companies do with the servers. The location country of the servers is also important.

If you want complete privacy, use a burner email account and a Visa gift card to set it up.

Edited by adempsey

Cheers

Thankyou, one question though , does this cover all computers and devices behind your router on your network or would you have to purchase it separately for each device ?

Edited by dave524