Fly In Trip Report - Hearst Air Martison Lake. Lots of Pictures!

James77

Wicked trip,thanks for the report. I need to do a fly in one of these years.

Thanks! You definitely should, it's amazing. Hit Hearst up- surprisingly affordable.

Excellent report, thx for posting

Thanks!

Great fishing report. Great pictures. Great time. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Thank you for the kind words!

thanks, that was a great read, loved all the pics

Thanks, glad you liked it!

• 4 months later...

Excellent report. Been with Hearst more times than I can count. Try to get there every other year. Just booked Wanzatika for 2017. We did Martison last year for the first time! Yes it can get difficult but they do turn on, beauty place! We found numerous large pike once it was on.
Did you get over to the other lake? We had amazing luck over there with nice chunker walleyes.

Caught a great show of the nothern lights while we were there too!northern lights Martison.jpg

I've been to many of Hearst Air camps over the years. Great operator and great equipment. As for Mike the pilot, I flew with him before he was shaving and he was excellent then and more skilled even now. George and Mike are renowned bush plane pilots. They are often featured on stories of the north.

• 1 year later...
On 7/31/2016 at 10:11 PM, GBW said:

i finally had time to read it all and I must say I let out a laugh when "the clam bite picked up" part came in. Great report and keep em coming!!

Thanks, the clams are aggressive up there. Need to catch at least one for a successful trip.

On 7/31/2016 at 10:15 PM, MJL said:

Great report. Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for the kind words! 

On 12/17/2016 at 9:42 PM, freddyp said:

Excellent report. Been with Hearst more times than I can count. Try to get there every other year. Just booked Wanzatika for 2017. We did Martison last year for the first time! Yes it can get difficult but they do turn on, beauty place! We found numerous large pike once it was on.
Did you get over to the other lake? We had amazing luck over there with nice chunker walleyes.

Caught a great show of the nothern lights while we were there too!northern lights Martison.jpg

We didn't end up getting to the other lake. We couldn't seem to find the trail to it. In hindsight we really should have tried to earlier. Super jealous about the northern lights. What time of year was it? 

On 12/17/2016 at 10:59 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

I enjoyed it more than the 1st time. Magazine quality photos. Thanks again.

May I ask what camera and filters if any did you use for those fantastic landscape pics?

Thanks so much! This was shot with a Nikon D5300 DSLR and a combo of a 18-55mm Lens and a 70-300mm Lens. 

Most the landscape pics were the first lens listed.

On 12/18/2016 at 8:24 AM, fisherman7 said:

I've been to many of Hearst Air camps over the years. Great operator and great equipment. As for Mike the pilot, I flew with him before he was shaving and he was excellent then and more skilled even now. George and Mike are renowned bush plane pilots. They are often featured on stories of the north.

I've now flown with both of them and they're great. Super comforting.

On 12/18/2016 at 11:05 AM, stasbrute said:

Loved your report James, I was at Hillmer Lake in September, I agree Hearst Air does an awesome job !, everything was great, Andre's fishing tips payed off big time.

Thanks! Hearst is top notch. We booked Hilmer for this year so we'll see how it goes! Any tips for me? 

James