OK this is going on the Christmas list, dry aged steaks at home

leaf4

I don't know about this gadget. We only have 1 fridge we wouldn't have room for a microwave in the fridge with the cord taped to the side of it. My wife wouldn't have it. My butcher will dry age beef for us. No not cheap. I do know I want to punch this guy in the snout.

Haha, for $200 though and when I already have a mini fridge I can use, this thing will pay for itself in a few uses, you can take a $40 roast and turn it into how many steaks worth $40 a piece?

And yeah that guy is annoying but it's a good show of what it will do

I've been using the Umai "drybag" for aging my roasts/steaks.

http://www.drybagsteak.com/shop-drybag-steak-in-house.php

Works great; put the meat in one of these bags, vacuum seal it and put it in a frost free fridge.

When its lost approx 35-40% of its weight; you're ready to go and enjoy.

There's no cross contamination of smells or tastes, in the meat you're aging or in the fridge itself.

I've made Capicola (Italian Beacon) in these bags and I couldn't tell it from deli store for taste and texture.

3 bags (16" X 28") for $25.00 and you can easily fit a 12 - 14lb ribeye roast in one of the bags.

Dan.

I've been using the Umai "drybag" for aging my roasts/steaks.

http://www.drybagsteak.com/shop-drybag-steak-in-house.php

Works great; put the meat in one of these bags, vacuum seal it and put it in a frost free fridge.

When its lost approx 35-40% of its weight; you're ready to go and enjoy.

There's no cross contamination of smells or tastes, in the meat you're aging or in the fridge itself.

I've made Capicola (Italian Beacon) in these bags and I couldn't tell it from deli store for taste and texture.

3 bags (16" X 28") for $25.00 and you can easily fit a 12 - 14lb ribeye roast in one of the bags.

Dan.

I have a friend who uses those and loves it, but he will be getting the steak ager because it's more of a hobby thing for him rather than a once in a while from what I recall the bags are a one time use thing, so it adds up if you have to add an 8$ bag to the mix every time

I found a place called The Trading Post on Simco St. just North of Port Perry. All of their beef is aged a minimum of 28 days and boy is it good! Prices are as good or better than local butcher shops (Rib Eyes typically $11.99 a lb).

They will vacuum pack roasts, steaks, they even vacuum pack my bacon for me in 1/2 lb packs all at no extra charge. I have been making my own bacon for about two years now, theirs is just as good or better and @ $3.99 a lb and vacpacked 7 slices to the package, well I can't even buy the pork bellies for that price.

I have even been buying my salmon from them when I want to make smoked salmon. Fresh Atlantic salmon typically $6.99/lb. Cure, smoke, eat and it's as good as or better than the $19.00/ little package that you buy in the stores.

I found a place called The Trading Post on Simco St. just North of Port Perry. All of their beef is aged a minimum of 28 days and boy is it good! Prices are as good or better than local butcher shops (Rib Eyes typically $11.99 a lb).

They will vacuum pack roasts, steaks, they even vacuum pack my bacon for me in 1/2 lb packs all at no extra charge. I have been making my own bacon for about two years now, theirs is just as good or better and @ $3.99 a lb and vacpacked 7 slices to the package, well I can't even buy the pork bellies for that price.

I have even been buying my salmon from them when I want to make smoked salmon. Fresh Atlantic salmon typically $6.99/lb. Cure, smoke, eat and it's as good as or better than the $19.00/ little package that you buy in the stores.

Like Cliff says, a great store

We buy their frozen unbaked cinnamon buns.

To die for.

Edited by captpierre

Like Cliff says, a great store

We buy their frozen unbaked cinnamon buns.

To die for.

Ok got to try those next trip. Got some special friends coming for a visit July 23, Steaks were already on the menu now I'm going to add some of those cinnamon buns to go with breakfast the next morning! Thanks!

Ok got to try those next trip. Got some special friends coming for a visit July 23, Steaks were already on the menu now I'm going to add some of those cinnamon buns to go with breakfast the next morning! Thanks!

Can't wait for dinner ;) See ya soon :)

Aint no way a piece of meat like that is going to stare me in the face for 51 days!....that sucker wouldn't last a week without hitting the BBQ.

Ever had a dry aged steak!? Totally worth the wait, plus you could do 2 big ones to your liking, cut seal and freeze them and pull them out as you please, probably get at a minimum $300 worth of steaks out of $50-100

Edited by Lucas F

I have been aging all our prime rib roasts in our fridge for maybe 7 years now. Can't remember where I got the info....on the internet somewhere. Just put the bare prime rib roast on a baking rack in the fridge and leave it. I usually do 5-7 days. Have always been afraid to try longer. It really does effect the taste and the texture of the meat...and we all love it. It does get a little waxy and tough on the outside so sometimes you have to trim the outside off...but most of the time I don't have to.

Give it a go first before you throw any money at this gizmo. I think you will be happy with the results.

I have been aging all our prime rib roasts in our fridge for maybe 7 years now. Can't remember where I got the info....on the internet somewhere. Just put the bare prime rib roast on a baking rack in the fridge and leave it. I usually do 5-7 days. Have always been afraid to try longer. It really does effect the taste and the texture of the meat...and we all love it. It does get a little waxy and tough on the outside so sometimes you have to trim the outside off...but most of the time I don't have to.

Give it a go first before you throw any money at this gizmo. I think you will be happy with the results.

The next time you try this, put about a 1/2" layer of sea salt in a pyrex dish and then the baking rack on top of the pyrex; not in the salt. The salt will help pull the moisture out of the roast. Not sure why; but they recommend Hymalayn pink sea salt; maybe because of its purity?

The last one I did (14 days), I had to soak the salt dish in water; the salt had gone rock hard. But the meat, after trimming off the outer layer, had a great colour and the aroma was amazing.

Dan.

The next time you try this, put about a 1/2" layer of sea salt in a pyrex dish and then the baking rack on top of the pyrex; not in the salt. The salt will help pull the moisture out of the roast. Not sure why; but they recommend Hymalayn pink sea salt; maybe because of its purity?

The last one I did (14 days), I had to soak the salt dish in water; the salt had gone rock hard. But the meat, after trimming off the outer layer, had a great colour and the aroma was amazing.

Dan.

Thx Dan. I'm real happy with how the roasts turn out now. Not sure if I'll change my routine or not....but I appreciate the input. When you did this for 14 days was the bare roast just sitting on the rack in the open air the whole time? I have always been hesitant to try for longer then my 5-7 days because I have always been worried about the meat going bad. Also have you tried the same process without the salt?

No I have not tried this without the salt and yes the roast is sitting in the open; but I'm using a second fridge that doesn't get opened anywhere near as much as the kitchen one is.

Once that dried skin forms on the outside of the meat, I think you're safe. It kind of self seals stopping bacteria from growing.

Not to worry, if the meat has gone bad, you'll know once you cut into it. It'll have a funky smell and the meat will be squishy.

Dan

I have been aging all our prime rib roasts in our fridge for maybe 7 years now. have to.

I don't know if I want to eat a piece of beef after sitting for 7 years. OK wise ass has to go now.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Im not a big steak eater. I like one once in a while. Would an eye of the round work with this Steve? Would it get more tender? Or would it be best to have fat content in the meat?

Cant say Im a fan of that contraption. That meat kind of turned me off. Oh Im sure it,s good. LOL

come down and see me, literally 20 minutes down simcoe st from there, all ontario, no added growth hormones, no anti biotics, free range, 28 days age, AAA or better only.

ps, vacuum sealing isn't great for keeping meat, the seal will break if the package gets knocked around while frozen, and then freezer burn. we use a freezer paper, same as traditional butcher wrap, but its coated on the inside with a food grade polyurethane coating. will keep meat frozen up to a year and half with issues, you can knock it around, have it fall out of the freezer, and not have to worry about the seal breaking

IMHO a rib eye is going to be the best steak you can get for flavor, tenderness, and quality. I have had many other cuts, some excellent, but a rib eye for me anyway is king!

some prime grade (above AAA) rib eye aka Delmonico steaks that we cut

20150924_112305_zpsd51245ay.jpg