Vanish should vanish

wkrp

I switched to Seaguar for chrome and have found it to be a lot more abrasive resistant than Vanish. One downside though is for some reason I find it a lot harder to see to tie properly.... Overall though I like it better it also seems to stay more limber in freezing temps.

For my leaders, I have been using P-Line floro clear since I came apon it. Thats years ago. Still do. 10-8 pd for my bass needs.

I really like Sufix floro in the 6 pd for my steel heading. Been using it now for the past 3 years. Very strong . And yes, hard to see to tie, for me anyways, but worth it. ;)

Edited by Brian B

Berkley Vanish is a horrible, horrible product. I've never experienced as many unexplained line breaks as I've had with Berkley Vanish.

For worm harnesses, I've used mono and fluorocarbon in 10-12lb. Both work and couldn't really tell the difference in catch rates.

Mono I've used: Trilene XT, Excalibur Silverthread and P-Line Floroclear (blend of both mono/fluorocarbon)

Fluoro I've used: Seaguar AbrazX

12 or 15 lb test Berkley Big Game.

Works for me. I even used 20lb test. I also use Stren Heavy Cover that I picked up in a discount bin, but not sure they even make that anymore.

It's stiff and doesn't have a ton of stretch so it's great for harnesses. It's also inexpensive.

Leave fluoro for your leader.

If you must use 8lb fluoro, just go with whatever Seaguar you can afford. I found the STS Steelhead series to be reasonably priced and have been using that for my leaders.

Edited by adempsey

Just use mono. I out fish almost everyone who fishes with me using it against fluoro. I dont see any advantage at all.

Trilene xt.

S.

Same for me. Love the Trilene XT. It is also the line spooled in 4LB test on all my panfish reels. IMHO it is the best 4 LB line for my needs.

Edit to add....Vanish is complete junk. I really can't believe it is still on the market.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I hate fluorocarbon line. The worst was Vanish and the second worst was Seagar. I've tried many and I just can't trust any of them. I am a light line fisherman. For fly fishing, I have even gone down to 3/4 lb tippets with size 26 flies. I have been using 2 to 4 lb mono for decades and I know light line. When shore fishing, I have pulled out logs with 4 lb test mono that had all kinds of lures and other goodies stuck to them. Right now, Berkley Sensation is my favourite. It's a co-polymer line with great characteristics. You want to catch fish.....finesse is the trick. A thick fluorocarbon line gives off more vibrations than a fine mono. Try using a small high quality hook baited with the head of a big nightcrawler on 2 to 4 lb mono with nothing else on the line. That's right.....nothing else on the line. I can tell you all this because none of you fish in my region. I don't tell anyone in my region this. I especially like 3 lb mono but I have to order it from Europe where finesse fishing is a must.

Just use mono. I out fish almost everyone who fishes with me using it against fluoro. I dont see any advantage at all.

Trilene xt.

S.

Pulling worm harnesses over rock piles on Lake Erie that are covered with zebra mussels is where fluoro carbon shines. I went from 12 lb mono to 20 lb FC because I was loosing to many rigs because of the sharp edges the mussels have.

Vanish isn't meant as leader line. Use flouro that is meant for leaders.

It's still insanely weak, no excuse for that. I use main line mono usually (can't justify the extra cost for fluorocarbon) and it works perfect, it's not rocket science. If you insist on using fluorocarbon, then Seaguar is where it's at.

After all of your recommendations it seems that seaguar is the choice, but where the heck do you buy this brand in an 8lb test. The floro line is readily available but not the leader material.

After all of your recommendations it seems that seaguar is the choice, but where the heck do you buy this brand in an 8lb test. The floro line is readily available but not the leader material.

If you must have 8, then look for a shop that sells seaguar STS. It comes in 100 yard spools for a reasonable price. Lebaron sells it. I've been using regular seaguar yellow box in 200 yard spools as leaders for steelhead fishing for years though. It works pretty well and I've used it for pics as well. Reason I switched to STS is that it comes on a smaller spool and I find it's handier both in the boat and in my stream bag.

Pulling worm harnesses over rock piles on Lake Erie that are covered with zebra mussels is where fluoro carbon shines. I went from 12 lb mono to 20 lb FC because I was loosing to many rigs because of the sharp edges the mussels have.

There are other alternatives. In such a situation, I would use a very thin titanium leader or why not a bottom bouncer.