Lake Muskoka - Fishing Report

hutch4113

Been a while since I have posted anything - pretty much since it has been a while since I did any fishing (I did catch one fish out of season - not on purpose, but figured I wouldn't post it).

The family cottage week this year was July 2nd to 9th, on lovely Lake Muskoka. Unfortunately the report will not contain any Lunkers - due in part mostly to me. Normally before I go to any new Lake, I do a lot of research, usually involving:

• Looking at Nautical Maps and marking potential areas to try.
  • Searching forums for other fishing reports and possibly spots to try. This would also include colours to use, etc.
  • Pestering people on OFC to give me their honey holes <grin>.
  • For some reason this year - I could not be bothered - and it showed up in my decision making through the week (more on that later).

The other thing that impacted - I had no idea how big Lake Muskoka was. I mean sure, I looked at it on a Map, but when I was tooling around the size really hit me. This probably meant I was fishing in the wrong part of the Lake, at the wrong time - but hey - live and learn (I know where the fish are not now).

The start did not go well. I use an App to show Sun/Moon phases (two of them actually) and the week should have been awesome. But after fishing Sunday/Monday/Tuesday with nothing to show for it (big anyway), I was getting really discouraged. (ok - I did not get totally skunked, but the fish were tiny). To make it worse, while trolling on Tuesday evening for Walleye - something big hit and I lost it. Pretty sure my knot let go - > which goes back to my earlier point on decision making/focus. At any rate, I think it was a big Pike, but never got to see it, which quite frankly was agony (took me a day to let it go).

Here is the Monday report:

20160704_082234.jpg

I call this picture - Fish Mustache. That is what you get for doing selfies in a boat. What made me excited was I caught this guy using Top Water, and while he was thrashing around a bunch of his buddies (much bigger buddies) came in to look - so got him in the live well so as not to spoke the others and tried again - and NOTHING. Sat over the spot for another hour trying all sorts of stuff - but that was it for the day.

At least I had awesome water conditions (I love it when it is like glass - of course does not always help in the catching of Fish)

20160704_100044.jpg

20160704_100053.jpg

Moving on to Wednesday (I have already described the Tuesday agony)

20160706_092445.jpg

Things finally started to look better on Thursday (sorta). First I had a friend up fishing with me for the day, so went to a spot I had tried earlier in the week but stopped going due to boat traffic on the weekend (big mistake). I had two Pike follow my spoon - the 1st was 30+ no question - scars all down the back. He is sitting there looking at my lure, as I am jigging it like a mad man trying to get him to take it - and then off he goes. 2nd follower was about 10 minutes later - smaller, but still picture worthy. But again just followed it to the boat. I am of course thinking - here we go again.

Anyway moved on after about 3 hours of casting, jigging, trolling (and maybe a little crying). Found some more Bass:

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Friday was my last day on the water, and Sun/Moon phase said it was going to be the worst. Went back to the Pike Spot - and spent another 3 hours with nothing. Managed to spook a 5 pound Large Mouth, while trolling through a shallow spot (why oh why did I not cast in front of me while moving - which I normally do) - but hey at least my Polarized Glasses were letting me see below the surface (more crying).

20160708_104249.jpg

20160708_113839.jpg

But over all it was a good week. Away with family, awesome weather, the boat ran great (including my trolling motor which had some issues last year).

Edited by Tupelo