NF Flies & bugs on truck grill

wormdunker

I recently returned from northern Ontario to find the front of my truck absolutely covered with bugs, flies, mosquitos. I spent great effort to remove them with hot water & car wash soap. I was able to remove quite a few but there are still many marks on the bumper & grill. Is there a product you guys use to remove these insects without damaging the paint? I'm planning another northern trip soon & I'm considering a bug screen for the front of my truck. Perhaps a bra? Advice on a screen would be appreciated. Thanx

Mine is the same right now. Bug and tar remover is what my detail buddy says, but I haven't tried it. Either way, it takes some elbow grease. I have a 5000km road trip coming up in 8 days, so I'm not going to get into it with mine until after that LOL.....interested in any replies though.

S.

I came back from up North and found my truck front, mirrors and radiators covered with bug bits and pieces. I used a towel soaked in hot water and dish soap and placed it on the bug surfaces for a few minutes then hit it with the pressure washer. What was left was fairly easy to hand wash off. I also have had success using just a spray bottle with soapy water and keeping it wet for 5 minutes or so. You can get them off the radiator with vinegar and a spray bottle but make sure you clean off all of the vinegar it is an acid and can etch the aluminum.

Art

Brian, you know where I live and the bugs are so bad here in the spring it looks like smoke along Lakeshore Rd. Bring a can of Pam spray oil with you. Spray the front of that thing you drive (Ford) with the veggie oil spray. The bugs will wipe right off with a soft cloth, no damage. I've been doing it for a few years.

I would have suggested vinegar and a spray bottle too and rinse it off with hot water.

Anyone try baking soda and some water? I've had some great success removing stains on the seat when stain remover products, from Canadian Tire, didn't work.

Baking soda is cheap and Au naturelle, so maybe that will be easier on the paint job.

Fleecy Fabric softener sheets soaked with water will do the job. Heard about it in Florida where the "love bugs" make a terrible mess of the front of a car.

100% on all those dryer sheets. My father has a 5th wheel trailer and that is how he cleans his trailer and truck. I don't wash my truck... HAHA

Mine is the same right now. Bug and tar remover is what my detail buddy says, but I haven't tried it. Either way, it takes some elbow grease. I have a 5000km road trip coming up in 8 days, so I'm not going to get into it with mine until after that LOL.....interested in any replies though.

S.

YUP!!!

This stuff!!!

Turtle%20Wax-Bug%20and%20Tar%20Remover-T

Thanx for all the replies. Some good suggestions here! I'm definitely going to try the fabric softener sheets. If that doesn't do the job I'll try the turtle wax bug remover. Ironmaker - I thought of spraying a thin coat of oil on the front but that is also going to cause dust to collect on the front of my truck. Worth a try for sure then wash it right away. I'm heading out on Erie today near Port Colborne. I'll let you know about tomorrow.

I washed my truck after returning from my trip to Ear Falls. There is still some residue left from the bugs. Today I'll attack them with dryer sheets. See how well it works. After it's clean I want to apply a good quality wax. I've been using Lucas spray mist wax, it does a good job, easy to apply, with nice shiny results. What brand of wax do you guys use?

I use a product called TOUGHGUY 9500 degreaser, it gets everything off of the vehicle and is available through Acklands Grainger ... I think Wal-Mart carries a different version (a less concentrated version) ... mix it with water (25% product), spray it on the vehicle and then pressure wash it off. Acklands is a little over priced unless you have access to a corporate discount though. Careful on how long you let it sit as it will make some things look not as nice (such as rims) but it does the job for me on the work vehicle which is often caked in mud and bugs.

Castrol Super Clean.

When I ran the full serve gas station; that's what I used in the windshield washer buckets.

Wet the windshield with the squeegee, finish the gas fill; then a light scrub and the bugs came easily off the windshield. Do the same on the paint; but with a worn scrub pad.

Dan.

Thanx for all the replies. I used fleecy dryer sheets, wet them with water, light rubbing & the bugs came right off! I'm impressed!

It's a little known thing how good it/they work but it should be shared by the masses that those sheets are more then effective just making clothing smell nice. However a used one from the dryer doesn't work as well cause the chemical is gone.