My trip to Ear Falls

wormdunker

I recently returned from Ear Falls from one of my most memorable fishing trips ever! It all started May 16 when I received a call from the operators union hall for a crane operator at the New Gold mine site near Rainy River On. I departed home May 18 to start work May 20. It's a 22 hour drive from Fonthill to Rainy River. I was driving along in great anticipation of starting the new job but, more importantly I had packed a lot of my fishing gear. I arrived in the town of Emo which is very close to the job site but also home of one of our more popular members -Manitoubass. I phoned Rick enroute & was fortunate to meet up with him prior to heading to the job site. We met up in the parking lot of the Emo Inn - the only motel/bar in town. I departed shortly after with an agreement to meet up to wet a line. Awesome! My work schedule was 14/7, 14 days working 10 hour shifts, then 7 days off. My first week off I flew home to Niagara via Thunder Bay to Toronto. My plan was to fish near Lake of the Woods/ Kenora area upon my return. I worked another 14 days straight & during that time I made plans to fish Ear Falls. I found Kenora to be extremely expensive to rent a camp & rent a boat & motor. Some prices quoted were in the $1500.00 - $2,000.00 range & up from there. I was advised to try the Ear Falls area & was pleasantly surprised to find a nice lodge, good cabins, 17' Lund boats equipped with 40 hp Yammys, padded, swivel seats fully equipped with fish finders for $630.00 for 1 week! Woo Hoo! I checked in to the camp June 25, & departed Saturday July 2. I previously invited Manitoubass to join me for a couple of days to fish the famous English river. His work schedule was a little tight coupled with a last minute health issue caused this meeting to not happen. While I was fishing the English River I realised in short order this place was a walleye factory. First morning 8 walleye in the range of 16 -18" were landed. I kept 2 for the frying pan. Every morning & every evening I was very fortunate to land 8 - 15 walleye! Another Woo Hoo!! Most walleye are nice healthy chunky fish measuring 16- 20" with a few up to 24". I was able to land a couple 22" & 1 @ 23". I consumed walleye at least once per day during my stay. The choice of bait was a simple 3/8 oz jig with either a live leech of a yellow twister tail. My favourite bait on the northern lakes is a perch colored "go getter" tipped with a leech. This presentation did land many walleye. My final evening of fishing I decided to try one of the original floatin rapalas black/silver. Wow! This proved to be a very good move. Nice 20" chunky walleye each pass near the dam. I landed 10 nice specimens in less than 2 hours. As I released the last fish, kissed it, & thanked him for all the fun! I think I landed at least 60 - 75 walleye while fish the great English River. Many photos shown down a few posts courtesy of Manitoubass.

Edited by wormdunker

I have regrets man. What a literal kick in the balls.

It truly was my pleasure meeting ya and hanging out a few times!!! Your a great dood!

And for the record, Brian sent me a walleye pic a beer pic and a supper pic numerous times daily while I was at work???

I found that hilarious but im just glad you had a great stay, got on some fish and found a great place to do it!!!

Hopefully "next time" comes sooner rather than later?

A great report Brian. I even believe you without fotos. Where's the HD pics? That would be Heaven after all that waiting time reading the paper to make a lift a few times a day, maybe. I used to say I think it would be cheaper to have the Hoisting Engineer to standby at the Airport and fly him up for each lift!!!!

Re: rentals. I rented a cottage 25 years ago on Nippising and they charged us $800.00 for the week and $750.00 for an 17'aluminum with a 15HP elec start. Very nice place and a great boat, Cozy Cove Cottages, and great Walleye then. On the way back I told Ticha " we are buying a cottage and a boat next year" and I did, so the price wasn't really that crazy 25 years latter. It took a few years to get the right boat though, 18 actually.

I know of this Manitou guy, he has been known to be a no show. Like last summers visit to the Hammer, no show, eh Richard?

Manitoubass is going to post some pix for me - I'm computer challenged! Might be tomorrow, he had a busy day of golf today!! LOL!

Nah i went for a lil fish and caught a second wind. Also went and looked at a new house!

Pics will be up soon. Uploading to photobucket now!

Edited by manitoubass2

First met Brian quickly at the Emo in for a quick chat as soon as he arrived

20160519_152234_zpsda06nb02.jpg

A few days later we both had enough time for a quick chat over some cold ones, again, at the Emo inn

20160527_191522_zpsrxyddq8j.jpg

Apperently we think alike. Brian shows at my place for a visit and like any gentleman, brings a 6 pack of cold ones! Little did he know, I was already prepared and had bought us a 6 pack???

20160522_172848_zpsxywbzk8z.jpg

Brians arrives and we take a drive in the Ford to Rainy River First Nations (Manitou) and snap a quick pic to prove it. Time for a walk to the rapids and show him my bass spot?

20160522_155809_zpsw5paabo1.jpg

Apon arrival we see our first fish! The might aurora!!! The timing couldnt be better...

FB_IMG_1448161567034_zpsiod0gh1q.jpg

???

This is a very sacred place. Posing at the "turtlehead" rock

20160522_153540_zpsefilxno9.jpg

The manitou rapids...

20160522_154549_zpslrw3djc4.jpg

I had brought in a few lbs of smoked sturgeon for the boys at work. Since brian was staying at camp and met my driller, Walter, I sent some for Brian to try

20160529_153157_zpsdavk4kpz.jpg

Cont'd

So apperently Brian has had enough of work and tells his boss were to stick a jig...

He arrives in Ear Falls for the week.

These are the txts I receive while im at work, which made me jealous and very happy for him at the same time.

But first, His first LOTWs walleye! Scratched off the bucket list!

IMG_1139_zpsl01fc4ds.jpg

Brian isnt much of a photographer???

So enjoy the boat floor and some fish pics!

Nice healthy northern

IMG_1147_zps8itpoyas.jpg

Then I get these when im working in the scorching heat (kinda wanted to kill you)

IMG_1149_zps3u72jhfv.jpg

IMG_1151_zpswwcx1itz.jpg

Chunky walleye, cleaned in what Brian flaunted as one of the best cleaning stations hes seen

IMG_1163_zpsvlwlsoy3.jpg

3 fish in the am! A guys gotta eat!

IMG_1175_zpsnpbwkc9a.jpg

Perfect stringer!

IMG_1176_zpslybechnn.jpg

IMG_1180_zpszpjdopgk.jpg

Chunky gal!

IMG_1182_zpslcggzy1q.jpg

IMG_1183_zps6xshvqq0.jpg

And more!

IMG_1185_zpsgsoskkjm.jpg

A rare glimpse of the "wormdunker"

IMG_1189_zpsfak6s6of.jpg

Back to the fish!

IMG_1190_zpsuusu4evj.jpg

World class cleaning station

IMG_1192_zpsowddqc7f.jpg

World class eaters

IMG_1200_zpsdend16gf.jpg

Mmmmmm food

IMG_1201_zpsbwqeqxku.jpg

The boat floor???

IMG_1202_zpsdrus4kwm.jpg

IMG_1203_zpsocvz3pbw.jpg

Refueling....

IMG_1204_zps6w0vjjj3.jpg

IMG_1213_zpshgjs3tzo.jpg

Lil fatty! Gorgeous walleye?

IMG_1214_zpskhle03su.jpg

At this point I fired back with this...???

20160630_185500_zpsyuo0z9nl.jpeg

IMG_1215_zpsm642tsug.jpg

Catchin fish is hard work, like golfing. Sometimes ya just need a cold one...

IMG_1216_zpshllsckgm.jpg

I hope ya all enjoy? Id say ya did just dandy bud!!!

Thanx Rick for posting pix of my trip. You did a great job! I have to practice selfies with my fish. I was solo on this trip so I chose the boat floor as my background. LOL! In many cases it was a quick photo & a quick release. At this camp they promote C & R. Any walleye over 18" must be released. On Long Bow Lake near Kenora you must release pike over 26".

There is a good reason this area sees 1000's of American fishermen every year,the fishing just gets better & better.I spend a couple days a week at a tackle shop & on any given saturday we will licence well over 100 fishermen heading up Hwy 105 to the Ear Falls/Lac Seul area.Yesterday I met guys from Texas,Arizona,California and lots of states in between.

I rarely see anybody from southern ont & find it hard to believe that more of them don't visit this scenic fishing meca.

Wow! Amazing report Blue Lk. It is truly a scenic paradise with so many fishing opportunities. The owner of the lodge I was at states - only 2% of his clients are from southern Ont. While I was there license plates from Iowa, Michigan & Wisconsin. The guys from Michigan travelled 17 hours to Ear Falls! There must be at least 50 lodges/camps with billboards advertising their camp along hwy 105.

one of our more popular members -Manitoubass.

I don't know if "popular" is the right word :)

Great story and great little hook up guys. Walleye city up there.

What's the story with the mighty Aurora pic?

Edited by chris.brock

Ear Falls area is a awesome place to go fishing . I have taken my family there several times. We always stay at Women River Camp . The owner are great . Paul is from Southwestern Ontario. I can't believe that more people from Ontario don't take advantage of this resource we have here . Most times we our the only Canadians in the camp. Glad you enjoyed it .

I'm a believer in the old original rapalas, gold/black & the silver/black. After this recent trip you can bet I'll be using them more often. I'm heading out on Erie today. Gonna give the Rapalas a try. I've always used harnesses on Erie & sometimes a Live Target smelt, jointed with great success.

Chris - I'm not sure of the Aurora trout pic.

I don't know if "popular" is the right word :)

Great story and great little hook up guys. Walleye city up there.

What's the story with the mighty Aurora pic?

Hahahahah so true.

Chris, the aurora is just a random pic I threw in cause I thought it was funny and made no sense. All we have here is splake and lakers(for trout)

Edited by manitoubass2

Looks like an awesome place... a lot of southern Ontario guys think that Nipissing is the far North so I'm not surprised there aren't many that go up there. Tonight at work I told the guys I traveled 8 hours north to fish and not one of them has ever been that far. More fish for us I guess..

Spincast - What camp did you stay at? I was at Little Canada Camp right near the dam on the English River. Collin & his son Cole were very friendly & helpful. I would definitely stay at their camp again. I fished mostly around the dam but others in the camp were heading downstream somewhere & returning with very nice catches of fish.

I tried the quote feature but it didn't work.