A tough week for our friends down south

BassMan11

It seems to be everywhere, even the small city near me has problems with it.

we have those very problems here in Lindsay ON but never hear the OD's in the news. Mind you I don't watch TV for I do check the weekly paper. It's DAMN SCARY that the "home chemists" are mixing all this crazy stuff (since the show breaking bad it's gotten way worse I think). Sorry for the sidetrack of the OP post folks!

Joe PA You may decline to incriminate yourself but you have to inform an officer if you have a weapon or item that can hurt him. If you don't then additional charges can be levied. Who wants to go from a broken tail light to endangerment of a police officer or not declaring a concealed weapon on questioning. The legal issue of declining to talk to a officer you will be handcuffed and placed in the cruiser. A trip to booking and an over night stay till you can declare to the judge that you wish to go to trial. Just to use your 5th amendment ???? You use it only when you need it trying to intimidate or instigate the legal system is asinine unless you are trying to hide something that you did wrong. Stop it people it is not a game do as you are told if it does not involve bodily harm to yourself. If you feel it is wrong save it for when the officer is not in a stressful state of mind. You will get a chance to prove that you are innocent and how you where mistreated. Defusing a situation is the first rule of negotiation then work for a solution or negating damages. I wish this was a class taught to the average citizen it would teach not only how to act but how to respond as well.

Art

Lets see what happens with a young native fella.

Posts last night on facebook he wants to have a shootout with police.

Now I see there is reported to be 100 "swat" officers involved.

This is all in my backyard as we speak(couchiching first nations)

Kid looks like hes 13 or 14 and no reported hostages or even reports of a weapon

Many families are evacuated to the gymnasium area of the reserve

Edited by manitoubass2

Joe PA You may decline to incriminate yourself but you have to inform an officer if you have a weapon or item that can hurt him. If you don't then additional charges can be levied. Who wants to go from a broken tail light to endangerment of a police officer or not declaring a concealed weapon on questioning. The legal issue of declining to talk to a officer you will be handcuffed and placed in the cruiser. A trip to booking and an over night stay till you can declare to the judge that you wish to go to trial. Just to use your 5th amendment ???? You use it only when you need it trying to intimidate or instigate the legal system is asinine unless you are trying to hide something that you did wrong. Stop it people it is not a game do as you are told if it does not involve bodily harm to yourself. If you feel it is wrong save it for when the officer is not in a stressful state of mind. You will get a chance to prove that you are innocent and how you where mistreated. Defusing a situation is the first rule of negotiation then work for a solution or negating damages. I wish this was a class taught to the average citizen it would teach not only how to act but how to respond as well.

Art

Thank you,,maybe the basics of respect regarding those in authority should be taught again in school, God only knows other hogwash is being part of the ciriculum,,,,,,,,it is utterly stupid that you go on face book while you are the recipient of a high risk take down, the people who continue to harp on the police in Canada and the States would have nothing to whine about if they lived in some other countries,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,appreciate what u have and dont take it for granted,, because if u do we might have the situation that many other countries are in,,,,,start saving your money

Oh if only ALL of our daily incidents at work could be broadcast on the National News, might change things a bit eh, we could all criticize each other even though we do not have training in your field

Edited by mr blizzard

Not related directly, but how times have changed.

When caught stealing a candy, a kid would get his ear half pulled off by the cop on the beat.

Threaten to tell his parents.

That would be the end of it.

You dont even need to go far back either.

As a teen, cops would arrive to a call about a fight. Pat em down, no weapons, go at er. One guy drops they stepped in like nhl referees. Walk away no charges filed

Art - I guess we don't see things the same way - first off if a cop arrests me for refusing to answer any of his questions he and the horse he rode in on is going to get sued big time - he has denied me of my constitutional right to remain silent - at a traffic stop I need to show my insurance, drivers license and vehicle registration - if he asks me to step out of the car I must comply - If he asks me any questions I tell him I am exercising my rights to remain silent - I also tell him that I don't consent to any searches of my vehicle or me - my 4th amendment right - and I will be recording him on my GoPro camera - my 1st amendment right to do so -

He would have to have probable cause to search my car which he wouldn't have if I was only pulled over because of a traffic violation - now you may say - Joe why don't you just cooperate with the cop and give him what he asks and do what he says even if it violates your rights - well Art - many guys have fought and died for the rights I have as an American citizen and if we don't exercise those rights it won't be long and we will lose them

I record any encounters I have with cops - and so are more and more people - search - Police Brutality You Tube - and see why this is being done -

Art - I guess we don't see things the same way - first off if a cop arrests me for refusing to answer any of his questions he and the horse he rode in on is going to get sued big time - he has denied me of my constitutional right to remain silent - at a traffic stop I need to show my insurance, drivers license and vehicle registration - if he asks me to step out of the car I must comply - If he asks me any questions I tell him I am exercising my rights to remain silent - I also tell him that I don't consent to any searches of my vehicle or me - my 4th amendment right - and I will be recording him on my GoPro camera - my 1st amendment right to do so -

He would have to have probable cause to search my car which he wouldn't have if I was only pulled over because of a traffic violation - now you may say - Joe why don't you just cooperate with the cop and give him what he asks and do what he says even if it violates your rights - well Art - many guys have fought and died for the rights I have as an American citizen and if we don't exercise those rights it won't be long and we will lose them

I record any encounters I have with cops - and so are more and more people - search - Police Brutality You Tube - and see why this is being done -

Media loves the brutality. Im not agreeing or disagreeing, but your not getting too many youtube views filming an officer of the law giving you a warning for speeding.

How iften have you been pulled over joe? Im assuming, maybe incorrectly, lots if you intentionally have a gopro at reach to film an interaction.

Also, remember "probable cause" is very loosely worded.

If im an officer approaching your vehicle and i see you shuffling to find your gopro, that might be all I need to believe your concealing something or may be in voilation of a law(s).

Imo just be friendly and approachable. Nothing wrong with using your rights either.

Police can be stupid/violent or nice, as can your average person.

I'm sorry, but this is total CRAP! If I was a cop and pulled you over and you started acting cagey like that I would be putting you in cuffs. You are giving them reason to believe you are up to something. Why not just be nice to each other? I don't know why people have to be such dicks these days. Your amendment rights are there so that you have recourse if you are treated badly. If your not treated badly, there is no need to use them. By acting the way you describe, it gives an officer reason to believe you have something to hide, and maybe cause him or her to investigate further.

Your attitude is EXACTLY the reason these mass killings happen.

For the record, I am 100% pro guns, but a lot of people need to give their heads a shake south of the border. You should take some advice from Art.

S.

Sorry Sinker - it's not my attitude - these mass killings happen because cops have for years mistreated citizens - if cops respect each citizen's rights then there would not be any of these type killings - if I have the right to remain silent - then why doesn't the cop respect that and give me a ticket if I broke some traffic law and let it go at that - its when the cop starts pushing his weight around beyond the law that makes things go south -

Even respectable former judges are now advocating that citizens record any encounter they have with police - people just don't start mistrusting cops because they have nothing better to do - there is a reason for it - people are sick and tired of cops acting like storm troopers -

I have a GoPro camera attached to my dash - if I get pulled over I would turn the camera so that it faces the driver's side window - you would be surprised how cops change their attitude once they see that they are being recorded - I'll tell you one thing - they hate being filmed - but then if they are doing nothing wrong why should they care - after all their dash cam is recording me -

They are not nice for a reason. Too many dicks with the same attitude as JP. I would be on guard all the time too if I had to deal with people like that every day. My life is worth more than that.

S.

Right on Shane. Right on.

They are not nice for a reason. Too many dicks with the same attitude as JP. I would be on guard all the time too if I had to deal with people like that every day. My life is worth more than that.

S.

Well they are in the wrong profession if they cant deal with some attitude

They are a hazard to the public they supposedly serve

JP is exercising his legal rights...while i wouldn't try that, as it would get me killed in the US, it is his legal right and it is against the law for a cop to violate them

So many of you say "just do as your told, and obey the law"...well if the cops obey the laws, and rights of the people many of these situations could be avoided

So many of you say "just do as your told, and obey the law"...well if the cops obey the laws, and rights of the people many of these situations could be avoided

Come on up to Barrie and walk the streets after the bars close. You will see why the cops here, get an ATTITUDE. They play nice, then hell breaks loose. Im sure you know the story. This is why they act first at times. Is it right, maybe not, but like Shane said, thier lives are woth just that. Thier lives. The last thing they want to do is TURN thier back.

It plays both ways.

Not arguing your post, just looking at it from the otherside.

If you are pulled over he has probable cause to inspect your vehicle for violations, see your license and registration and ask if you know why he has pulled you over. An answer of yes or no is all that you legally have to say. He will then inform you what your violation is and then do a back round check with his computer. A ticket is issued and if there is no other issues to deal with then you may sign and leave. If you get cocky then he will change his formate to mirror yours. Are there bad cops the answer is yes and i have been interviewed by a few over the years (bodyguarding) and it is something that I addressed later with their commander. The flexing of someones constitutional rights is a guarantee not a toy to play with. It is never a good idea in the real world to dig a hole you have to get out of when you can walk around the edge. I won't change your mind and I am good with that but if we both are in the same situation I am sure my path will have less bumps than yours during the journey.

Art