Wormharness to weight, distance

misfish

What distance do you guys use from your drag weight to your harness?( Im sure I,ll get lots of preferences)Also, has anyone ever tried running two of them? I mean like say one is 2 ft up from the wieght,the other like 4 or 5 above that.

Thanks

Edited by Brian B

I mostly use a 1/4 oz egg weight above my harness. I make my harnesses about 2ft. This will run no problem up to 14 or so feet. Deeper than that i use a bigger weight.

For bottom bouncers i tie my harnesses about 4ft. I dont use bouncers unless its deeper than 15ft, or the bottom has steep structure.

Never tried 2...wheels are turning now...lol

S.

I,ll be tying a bell sinker on the bottom and just be slow rolling the baldes ( using the toon, but I can get a good speed going using the flippers, even much more using the oars, just ask Terry) LOL

Never tried 2...wheels are turning now...lol

S.

I,ll let ya know how it works bud. I just thought of covering more water colume. Im sure it would be effective. That would be a total of 4 hooks for my set up.

Trolling in a Toon. Man those feet must just be pumping along. I used to dive and have U.S. Diver fins, what type of fin do you use Brian? As far as harnesses it depends on the length of harness. 3 feet behind a Dipsy Diver or Jet Diver. For bottom bouncing no more than 24". Since I moved out here shallow is 40 feet.

Trolling in a Toon. Man those feet must just be pumping along. I used to dive and have U.S. Diver fins, what type of fin do you use Brian? As far as harnesses it depends on the length of harness. 3 feet behind a Dipsy Diver or Jet Diver. For bottom bouncing no more than 24". Since I moved out here shallow is 40 feet.

You would be surprised how good I can move. I bought a set of deep divers this year at a garage sale. They get me moving pretty well. If I want to use the oars, I can get a good 12-14 ft between strokes. And thats not pushing it hard.The toon glides with ease.

Edited by Brian B

The fish will tell u. Use rubber core sinkers in weights up to 3/8 and bottom.bouncers from 3/4 1.5 all depends on blades lead where u want the harness.in the column or it its a floater harness.

Most common 1/4 rubber core 24 inches ahead of blades for me or 15 ft use bottom boincer on 3/4 and water over 20use 1.5

I,ll be tying a bell sinker on the bottom and just be slow rolling the baldes ( using the toon, but I can get a good speed going using the flippers, even much more using the oars, just ask Terry) LOL

So, like a 3 way rig? Sounds like a tangle waiting to happen lol

I find they slide through weeds better with an egg weight or worm weight in line with the harness about 2ft above.

If not that way, I'm using a bottom bouncer with a 4 ft harness. 1 ounce per 10ft of depth minimum.

S.

trial and error for me usually. I believe most of my harnesses are 36" and I just put weight on until I can feel bottom or I'm tickling to tops of the weeds. I usually like to let out at least 50' of line, and put the weight, usually split shot, just above the swivel where I attach the harness. I've never been a fan of bottom bouncers either.

two harnesses just sounds like a nasty mess waiting to happen, but try it and tell us how it works!

Edited by netminder

I almost always use a lead on my harnesses of 3 to 2 feet. The type of bottom cover will factor in as well as how heavy your rig is, how fast you're moving and how much lift your blade (or blades) give the harness. The general rule of thumb is an ounce of weight for every 10 feet of depth.

You would be surprised how good I can move. I bought a set of deep divers this year at a garage sale. They get me moving pretty well. If I want to use the oars, I can get a good 12-14 ft between strokes. And thats not pushing it hard.The toon glides with ease.

If you want I have a pair of professional U.S. Diver fins for you. Let me know. Size large, 10 to 13. I have 2 pair.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I almost always use a lead on my harnesses of 3 to 2 feet. The type of bottom cover will factor in as well as how heavy your rig is, how fast you're moving and how much lift your blade (or blades) give the harness. The general rule of thumb is an ounce of weight for every 10 feet of depth.

In current double that

I,ll just be dragging along weed lines. Should be good with my planned set up. The double set up of the harness was just a thought to try, and try I will. If it get all screwwed up, I,ll just cut it,bag it, and go single. No harm in trying. Like I said, it would be a 4 hook set up, so legal.

Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a 1.5oz bouncer in the Ottawa river which had lots of current up to 30ft with no problems keep the angle and slow down till you feel the bottom .... Been using them for over 20yrs ...... Sometimes in the fall will go to a 2oz but never more than that .... It works just have to refine it and deadly way to catch bottom hugging eyes as well as Muskies you name it .... ???