Land Clearing

FLEX ROD

After almost a year of looking at " houses / cottages " around Lake Eugina we finally realized that for what was available in the range that we wanted to spend that we would be better off just buying a lot and building, because 90% of what was available would have to be demolished and re built so we just said lets start with a clean slate.

Well, we found a 1/2 acre treed lot 2 minute walk from the Lake and we should even have a bit of a lake view when the trees are bare :) .

The lot is treed so our first step is to clear it so that I can put up some kind of temporary bunkie / shack up so that we can start to use it, hence my question...... I have chain saw no stranger to hard work when land clearing how low do you cut so that when it comes time to remove the stumps you don't create more work by either cutting too much or leaving too much behind?

Are there any members here that do this, if so I would really like to speak with you as we close on July 26 yes 3 weeks away and I really want to get a running start as soon as I can.

The reason for this property was very simple the Dundac, Flesherton, Euginia have the highest elevation in the Ontario and due to my miserable health condition I have found out that the higher elevation makes a huge difference for me, and to boot I am now much closer to some great water to fish.

As I said any info would be really appreciated,

Thanks, FLEX

Are you sure you can get a permit to clear the land and build there? Better be sure before that chainsaw starts up. Could be some serious fines otherwise.

If you have the permits, the height of stump really depends what your end goal is, and the size of the tree. If they are small, cut them as low as you can. Larger trees its always easier to pull the stumps with a machine, so leaving the stump high enough to grab onto is important.

Talk with the conservation authority about permits first. I dont know about your area, but i know around here there are a lot of vacant lots you cant build on and you require a permit to cut trees.

S.

Thank you for the reply Sinker, yes you are correct some interesting stuff in that area due to Hydro owning a lot of the area.

In our situation we can build away so we have no issues, at least from that point.

I sent you a PM,

FLEX

Which area of the lake are you near? I grew up on that lake, causeway side.

We are down in the South West corner by the boat ramp and the damn. Right in town by the water fall.

Would love to get some info from you when you have a chance as a boat will be on the menu very quickly. :D

Look at all of the trees and figure out which are junk trees (soft wood) and which will be an asset to keep. Thin them out as needed but leave as many as you can for shade and wind barriers. Check out the placement of the house, well and septic before you start to remove trees. Some septic fields need to be root free and not compacted by vehicles. The well needs to be a certain distance and a certain elevation in comparison to the septic field. The house needs to be faced not only for view but for weather resistance.

Best of luck

Art

We are down in the South West corner by the boat ramp and the damn. Right in town by the water fall.

Would love to get some info from you when you have a chance as a boat will be on the menu very quickly. :D

Good investment. Properties skyrocketed on/near the lake quite a few years ago.

Look at all of the trees and figure out which are junk trees (soft wood) and which will be an asset to keep. Thin them out as needed but leave as many as you can for shade and wind barriers. Check out the placement of the house, well and septic before you start to remove trees. Some septic fields need to be root free and not compacted by vehicles. The well needs to be a certain distance and a certain elevation in comparison to the septic field. The house needs to be faced not only for view but for weather resistance.

Best of luck

Art

Great feedback folks, and thanks Art, the heads up about the septic fields as this is a area that I really have zero knowledge about but I am learning quickly.

FLEX

Being that this is your first kick at the can, of property development; maybe it wouldn't hurt to approach a professional firm for a consultation?

With a quick google search, I found this firm.

http://www.planscape.ca/

No Idea who they are or what their fees would be?

It's just to show that there are people out there, that might be good to talk too and if need be spend a few bucks with.

May save you $$$$ in the long run?

Dan.

Being that this is your first kick at the can, of property development; maybe it wouldn't hurt to approach a professional firm for a consultation?

With a quick google search, I found this firm.

http://www.planscape.ca/

No Idea who they are or what their fees would be?

It's just to show that there are people out there, that might be good to talk too and if need be spend a few bucks with.

May save you $$$$ in the long run?

Dan.

Thanks Dan, I took a quick look, interesting will have to spend some more time on this topic. Fortunately, I have some experience with this as I have been in the PM world for 25 years and when we bought our house it was a shell only and I played General then and then when we did the basement also.

My cousin is on holidays but he is an architect and his father is a engineer so I am hoping to utilize some of their knowledge :whistling:

Will you be on town water and sewage ? you're a stone's throw from Eugenia and not far from Flesherton so would be nice. Otherwise I highly recommend drilled wells vs dug and definitely over lake water.

Unfortunately, we will be well and septic but thanks for the tip on the well, I have heard that from a few people.