Last minute change of plans

duxbware

Hey gang,

it's been a while since I posted on here. Kids sports have taken over the last few years leaving me with little time to fish. We had a last minute change in vacation plans leaving us with a few weeks off. My wife surprised me and said she will go north fishing with the boys and I. They are 7&9. I am looking for last minute and I mean last minute suggestions on where to go. I need a place where fish (walleye) are plentiful, other activities for the boys besides fishing such as swimming or hiking......it would be great if it offers all inclusive. I want to leave Wednesday. I will drive up to 10 hours..any suggestions would be great. We get one vacation a year together so we are willing to spend a little bit. Thanks.

You didn't mention where you're starting at, so I will assume somewhere in southern Ontario.

Last minute isn't so bad in July, so I am sure you'll find something fun. Plenty of walleye, well, there is never a guarantee. Besides, that's fairly subjective anyway.

One of my favorite lakes is Lady Evelyn. It's close by, but still offers a nice remote feeling.

Check out Island10 and Garden Island Lodge. They only offer American Plan. The boats are excellent and there is plenty of lake to explore. There are no trails or beaches on these islands though. Good Walleye and Smallmouth fishing.

Red Pine Lodge on Ivanhoe Lake has some nice cottages along a great beach. They sit right next to Ivanhoe PP. The camp is busy though, with numerous trailers in its trailer park. Boats are nothing special. You must stay at the cottages along the water, not the others - they aren't worth it. You can visit the nearby PP (I think it's still open to public?) and the dam flowing out of the lake. AIr Ivanhoe operates out of the lake too, so you will see planes as well. You can also stay at Air Ivanhoe, but I can't comment on how that is. It looks nice though. Ivanhoe lake has some decent Walleye and Pike as well as great Jumbo Perch fishing.

Elmhirst Resort on Rice Lake. Really nice cottages, even the "cheaper ones" (which I prefer) are amazing. Indoor/Outdoor pool, restaurants and plenty of family activities. Rice lake is great for kids because it is FULL of panfish - perch, bluegill, sunfish, crappie. The walleye fishing can be decent and the bass fishing is pretty good too. Fishing the various weed beds you can catch just about anything. There are over a dozen of camps on Rice lake, but this one is one of the nicest. We went to Elmhirst for our annual trip for years.

Really, there are a ton of places throughout the Kawarthas that would be great. Viamede and Pine Vista are both nice.