Lower Buckhorn/Deer Bay

skdds

Hi Guys,

Heading up to fish Lower Buckhorn-specifically Deer Bay.

I will most probably target Bass but want to give Musky at try too if I feel lucky. I mostly fish shield lakes so Kawarthas will be a little different I would think. Any productive lures/colours approaches I should look into for Bass and Musky in these waters?

Thanks!

skdds

There is a well established weedline on the western edge of Deer bay, it runs a pretty good ways. I've caught bass, pickerel and musky along the edge there. There are some pretty productive weed beds on the north side of the lake to the west of three islands as well, fish from three islands west towards the small groupings of rocks/islands. Run north west coming out of deer bay almost to the opposite shore and fish the weeds. Depths run between 5-9 feet. Caught all 3 species there as well. Most of my bass are incidentals there, so can't help you with that. Good luck, its a decent fishery!

Since you are in the area of Deer Bay I would also suggest a trip back into Black Duck bay which is extremely weedy but has lots of pockets along the shorelines that have produced well for bass and musky for me. Be careful in there though lots of shallow unmarked rocks and reefs best to access it from the north west side again be careful if accessing along the shores lots of shallow rocky areas. If you can manage your way to the back of Black Duck Bay there are some open overflow dams with good areas around them where I have caught lots of muskie. My go to bait is a large Blue Fox vibrax spinner silver blade with black hair gets both bass and musky or the Mepps musky killer similar colour pattern.

Good luck!!

Kawartha Kev

Thanks for the suggestions, not worried about rocks as I'll be working out of a kayak...but this may also hinder my distances (its nice, however, to sometimes not to worry about that sickening sound of prop vs granite!) . Looks like three islands will be quite a paddle depending on weather. I'll check out those lures thanks,.I'll be on the western shore so I will look out for the weedlines and see what I can come up with. I'll be happy to share my results if productive!

Fishing out of the kayak in Deer Bay will be a challenge its really open and can get rough probably best to try along the shoreline and it will be quite a paddle to the three sisters islands and you will be along the main channel with a lot of boat traffic. Not sure where exactly in Deer Bay you are starting from but since you are in a kayak you can take a short cut through the islands towards Black Duck Bay and will avoid all the boat traffic once you get across the main channel lots of spots for bass in and around all the islands and very shallow but no problem for a kayak. Good luck.

Kawartha Kev

Yep, will probably stick close to shore. I'll be staying at Beachwood resort for a few days. Looks like its a good distance from the islands, so I am hoping I can find some good structure and weedlines not too far from the resort. I could rent a tinny I suppose as well and head up there for a change water.

I am staying at Beachwood as well this week. If you fish the West side of deer bay just south of Beachwood you will find a nice rock ledge to fish. The 3 sisters is a bit of a paddle from the resort. Walleye fishing used to be good in front of the resort at night in the weeds.

• 2 weeks later...

skdds,

I haven't logged on in a while so I just saw your post. If you want Bass Lower Buckhorn/Deer Bay is a terrific lake for both Smallmouth and Largemouth. I would recommend working the shoreline starting at Bayview resort and heading south towards the two small islands on the south side of the lake. Focus on early morning and evening and you will find them shallow. Throw topwaters, tubes and wacky worms. Focus on the inside weedline and any rocks your can find. For musky, the weedbed that starts in front of Beachwood and extends out toward the islands is a great spot. You can cast over the weeds with Bucktails, Jerkbaits or Shallow cranks. If you have a depth finder focus on the deep weedline in 10-12' for the bigger muskies. For walleye, I would suggest focusing on early morning or later in the evening and fish the weedlines snap jigging 1/8 to 1/4 oz bucktail jigs or jigs baited with a gulp minnow. A pretty aggressive snap will produce reaction bites. I also did well a couple of years ago casting swimbaits over & through the weedbeds in Black Duck Bay using a 1/2 oz bullet head jig with a 5" Berkley Flatback Shad. Reel it medium fast for a few feet, stop for half a second and continue reeling, repeat. I hope you have a great trip. My family has been staying at Beachwood and fishing Lower Buckhorn for 35 years. The fishing is still great there.

Tom

Maybe will bring some crawler harnesses if there are walleye to be had.. :)

The weed bed along the western edge of deer bay has plenty of walleye to be caught with harnesses and bottom bouncers...

That's pretty much right in front of your resort, we caught many eater walleyes in there when i fished it once a few years back.,

Also, ill second that Black Duck Bay would be worth the paddle if you can head there on a calm day, we caught lots of large mouth on spinner baits back there, as well as a nice musky on a Bucktail

Edited by Brettiop

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great info! Unfortunately I'm already back! It was a very short trip-three days and half the time dealing with a nasty cold front which probably did not help. Its a nice, nice lake to fish-I did manage to hook up with some nice SM along some rocky areas however, no Walleye or musky for me. I can really appreciate all the suggestions- I am very familiar with the water after this trip and all the places you are suggesting are very clear to me now. I hope to return and give it a go again, that's for sure and Beachwood is a nice place to stay. I was also lucky to briefly meet up with sofabed-he told me he had a very productive week. I spent most of my time at the north end of the bay working the rocky drop offs. I hope to check out the south end next time!