Another Music Thread!!!

DRIFTER_016

So while working at the cabin my ipod is getting a good workout.

I was thinking today while listening to my Rush collection about concerts back in the day and I realized my first real concert that I attended was to see Rush in 1981 @ Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto during their Moving Pictures tour. T'was a good gig. :)

I have seen well over 1,000 shows while I have been on this planet and only a few really stand out to me. This first concert with Rush is big of course but there are a few more that have been really great shows.

I got to see Springsteen at MLG as well and that dude puts on a hell of a show. He did a 2 hour set and took a 30 minute break and came out and did 2 more hours!!!! It was incredible that he and his crew go go that long and not drop dead!!! I remember looking around the packed arena and the whole crow were on their feet dancing the whole show!!! (y) (y)

Number 3 on my list was Reggae Sunsplash @ Lamport Stadium in Toronto. Some of the top reggae performers were there and the show was awesome until..................The Storm came!!! :(

Right in the middle of Eek A Mouse's set the sky unleashed but we didn't care just kept on jammin' until................ The sound equipment started shorting out due to the deluge so they shut it down a couple of acts early. Even though I was soaked to the bone it was a good show.

Number 4 on my list was when I was working @ Super Stars Night Club in Mississauga in the early 90's. I got the chance to see a ton of great bands, performers and comedians there but by far my favorite show was The B52's!!! Damn they are the epitome of party bands. You can not go to one of their shows and not have a fantastic time. The whole club was electric and 3,500 revelers did all 16 dances!!!! ;)

Any body else remember their first concert?

Any really memorable shows?

My first "show" was Rush, with Max Webster opening, during the "Farewell to Kings" tour.

I've seen countless shows since, with the highlights being;

- The Tubes - incredible show

- The Who - four times

-Blue Oyster Cult opening for Black Sabbath in Detroit

-Ozzy - With Randy Rhoads

-AC/DC - Back in Black tour

-Van Halen - in 1979 and 80

Thinking about it, probably easier to mention who I haven't seen, than seen!

HH

Coolest show was lalapalooza at molson park in the early 90's. Pearl jam, sound garden, alice in chains, chili peppers, rage against the machine....and a pile of others. It was a total bender. I will never forget. That was the show when eddy vedder climbed the stage and sang from the top....crazy!

Saw Steve Miller Band at wonderland and they had just put down new sod. Well, the sod was flying everywhere lol...good times.

Loudest by far I have ever seen was Lynard skynard and ted nugent at Copps. Sooo loud. I've never heard anything like it. The nuge tore it up. Tons of rednecks, and tons of P3TA's at the front doors going in and out were entertaining too LOL

Seen the Hip 9 times....all good.

CSNY was totally awesome, as were the Eagles....both those groups put on a show that is absolutely perfectly performed. Incredible artists.

S.

The Who's first farewell tour at CNE stadium (1982 September or October..?) , I was 10, smuggled in my Dad's booze & remember Joe Jackson getting pelted with all kinds of junk & booed off stage.

Alice Cooper The Nightmare Returns Tour 1986, first big concert I went to alone (14 at the time), 4th row floors, still have the tour shirt...hasn't fit since 1988....

The Exploited The Massacre tour, El Mocambo 1991, not the biggest punk show but a extremely loud & extremely fun show, the pit was intense.

And on that the first 2 Lollapalooza tours were a lot of fun, CNE stadium & Molson Park

Too many concerts to list, wife worked in Radio so we saw tons together, the ultimate was the Dead fare well. In Chicago. It all started with us chartering our own plane to head down (Friend is a big shot at Porter). It was magical. Just saw Stevie Wonder, pearl jam,Rush and we are seeing the Dead again in 2 weeks in Boston!

Coolest show was lolapalooza at molson park in the early 90's. Pearl jam, sound garden, alice in chains, chili peppers, rage against the machine....and a pile of others. It was a total bender. I will never forget. That was the show when eddy vedder climbed the stage and sang from the top....crazy!

Forgot about that one.

July 1992. :)

I was at that show as well. It was a dandy!!!!

Edited by DRIFTER_016

The Who's first farewell tour at CNE stadium (1982 September or October..?) , I was 10, smuggled in my Dad's booze & remember Joe Jackson getting pelted with all kinds of junk & booed off stage.

Alice Cooper The Nightmare Returns Tour 1986, first big concert I went to alone (14 at the time), 4th row floors, still have the tour shirt...hasn't fit since 1988....

The Exploited The Massacre tour, El Mocambo 1991, not the biggest punk show but a extremely loud & extremely fun show, the pit was intense.

And on that the first 2 Lollapalooza tours were a lot of fun, CNE stadium & Molson Park

I was at that show. Nash the Slash opened, then The J Geils Band (Centerfold was their hit at the time), then Heart and finally, The Who.

If I recall correctly, it was a July show, extremely hot and "heat lightning was flashing all over the sky.

HH

First show was Metallica circa. 1988? And justice for all tour with queensryche at The Aud in Buffalo. Remember it like it was yesterday.........i remember at the ripe age of 17-18 with no concert experience, being floored by the atmosphere of an arena metal show. Goosebumps all night.

Grateful Dead at Seneca College

Not Fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pink Floyd Ivor Wynne Stadium Hamilton (73?).

June 28, 1975. Even more NOT FAIR!!!!

I've been to a few hundred concerts....music is the only thing I enjoy more than fishing....or at least "as much".

My first concert was The Who, 1996 (was 16 years old).

My best concert was December 31, 1999.

Phish.

Ole Seminal Indian Reservation in the Florida Everglades. After 3 sets on the 30th, Phish came out on the 31st, played a set from 4 until 6pm. Then they left, came back on at Midnight.

The played from Midnight until SUNRISE without STOPPING ONCE! (yes, that is 7.5 HOURS STRAIGHT)

It was the "encore" to the 20th century.

Since than I've been to countless shows, but the feeling I had at midnight, Millennium New Years Eve, dancing in the Everglades to my favourite band...it was a magical experience that will never ever be topped.

Other notable mentions:

- Neil Young 3 night run at Massey Hall

- Primus at the Danforth

- Pearl Jam with Neil Young at ACC

- Springsteen on his last tour before the passing of Clarence Clemens

- Roger Waters on the most recent "Wall Tour" (seen Roger three times but that was the best)

- David Gilmour from most recent tour. (better live than Roger)

I'm also a HUGE jazz fan, seeing guys like Pat Metheny, Herbie Hancock, Victor Wooten, Oscar Peterson, John McLaughlin, etc were all life highlights.

Seeing the "Quintet" reunion at Massey Hall in 2003 was likely the most "significant" (historically) concert I've attended.

Best shows I've seen...

Red Hot Chili Peppers, ACDC, Pearl Jam, and Beastie Boys. Some of their prime years.

Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young were two I didn't even really care to go see but both were the biggest and best surprises ever, especially Bruce. Would have to put him right to the top almost.

Concerts that weren't worth the money, Elton John and the Eagles.

Early 80's acdc at the gardens,ears rang for 3 days lol.Emerson,lake and powell ,not Palmer. Many others.1992 as well at Lalapo Barrie,what a show.Not to mention the barrelworks,in Balm beach. David Wilcox,wish I could remember the rest we saw over the years.Good times,if I could only go back and remember the rest lol.

Was more of a vinyl listening guy growing up. Did see Max Webster when I was like 12 at Massey Hall. First time I was told what that funny smell was. LOL Seen him again at a high school concert when I was 17. Attended some of the old CFGM Country bashes at Molsons park. Attended one lallapalloza,s when I moved to Barrie. Crazy partying.

Steve?????

Live music is always amazing.... JAZZ ???

Both parents passed away this year, now for some reason all the Beatles music reminds me of them

I saw U2 at Massey Hall , incredible !

Seeing bands live is truly spiritual !!!!