A Solo Roady North III. "The New Fly Fisher."

Moosebunk

Thanks fellas!

Maybe the best drive-to destination for big pike?

I'd say yes... for "big pike" how could it not be? Huge lake, perfect forage, relatively untapped. Total fishing hours with most of our time only one angler fishing and me having to leave them alone once some pods of fish were found was about 10 hours, really just a full days worth. And in that time about twenty or more fish forty inches and over. Target just pike for a week, two anglers and fish more spots, and I can't imagine the damage that could be done.

And at price point of anywhere between 50 to 95% off what one would pay for any fly-in that could give odds of catching 50+ inch fish, it's a no-brainer for many people to consider Nipigon if wanting to hunt trophy pike.

An excellent read as usual and so many stunning photos as well. I am not sure I'll ever make it out there, so I truly appreciate the effort you put into these reports that enables us to share in your adventures. Thanks!

I'd like to suggest something as well. Much like you, prior to my trips I go over the aerial view of the lakes, but I record all the various GPS coordinates of rocks and shoals etc in a spreadsheet. I then put the list of POI's into my Garmin using Garmin's free POI loader software. My last one had over 1,000 POI's, lol. It takes time to record all the coordinates, but it's easy to do and definitely worth it for a lake without a bathy map. As long as the aerial photo's are decent anyway. The accuracy has been spot on for me, so far, as well.

Don't overlook Bing's aerial maps either, they are often better than Google's. The Ontario Imagery aerial photos in the Ontario Topographic Maps site are often even better.

Here is an example from the Topo Site:

Nipigon_Carson_islands_1_zpszs0tkvv0.jpg

Well now Mr. Dempsey that is an absolute beautiful find, and gift. A quick gander already and I'm in love. Yes, some definite better detail in all places checked, I swear next year there will be much more new water to cruise for specks and pike, and plenty new shoals marked on my maps. Just awesome, loving it. Thanks.

And thank you to Joey! :)

I'm enchanted once again in spun yarns and streams of beautiful photography. That would be good enough for me but then pic after pic of eye popping fish just leaves the jaw gapping. Flies could find a home under that awning while I read for what seems like hours. Thanks for all that, just awesome. :)

Thanks guys.

Chris... the Kesagami weather beat ya down or did you hook up with some big pike? And, did ya try trolling by Shappiros? ;)

I was amazed at how many big pike tripped over themselves to get at Bill's fly. Just sick! Giant pike everywhere in one tiny space unlike anything I've seen. Gin clear water too for so much sight fishing.

Kes, isn't what it used it to be, judging from that week, and I've gone many times on that week. Their brag board didn't have a fish over 46 inches and there were just a few in the mid 40s. By that time I remember usually at least a 50 or two with several high 40s. I remember when Leslie caught her 46 that Charlie saw no real need to put it on the board because it was "ordinary" and space was limited.

As you know due to the health of parents I had to take the convenience of Kes. You can cancel last minute and use your deposit next year.

I hadn't been in two years and there were less guests this time around, and especially less guests who actually know how to fish for big pike. It should have been easy-peasy because the best spots were not too heavily fished.

The weather was changing but that's the norm and we didn't get smoked by a 30+ heatwave as we have previously. We worked hard for the fish we got but couldn't even get within an inch or two of 40. It also sounded like we did better then most even those who were guided. If I can only get out once a year I seriously have to think about going back again unless it is with my wife or daughter because on the service end of things, the place can't be beat.

I had may be a significant fish...gonna post about that separately. All I thought I knew about leaders has gone out the window.

Edited by scuro2

Kesa10D1-036.jpg

K123_zps4b594673.jpg

K041_zps45d9a3ef.jpg

Hard to say what's going on there Chris... Still owe that lake for so many trophy pike over the past decade I'd be hard pressed to find a negative thing to say about it. It is without a doubt a lake that breeds slobs and up until recently the feeling was that the lake fishing is only getting better.

From personal experience I know that our last time there Bren and I had to fish quite hard for 7 days to catch 5 fish over 40-inches. As you know, weather can CRUSH you there and that last week in July we saw everything from only a little sun to a little snow. Trip prior to that four guys struggled to catch trophies with I think only 4 over the 40 mark. Trip prior to that with the perfect weather we managed 17 or 19 over 40 inches. One thing to be said is that giants still do exist in there but that the lake can be so stingy at times. Recently fishing with another fella who loves Kesagami, he expressed that in a week he managed one over 40. While fishing about 10 hours with me on Nipigon I think between he and I we managed about 18 to 20 over 40"

The biggest difference maker is pressure, no question. And with Kesagami that's why (after you got me onto thinking about it and made me the connection) going to Partridge after the main lodge closes is IMO the best option to increase the odds for big pike by eliminating the immediate pressure. (now that Cochrane Air doesn't allow this, I'll likely never go back) Our first year there, between two boats, the guys may have thought I was bossy on this but, I urged and all followed, that we enter some bays only at prime time, only one boat in the bay, and knowing they'd be hot bays we would take turns each evening. Forties were caught everyday, and even night one I told Carl and Mike to go into such and such bay between 430-630 and fish certain cabbage and low and behold they came back with smiles as they both got PB's, one of them at 46.5". We duplicated this on the trip in the days ahead and trusted the plan. The next time back two guys didn't want to go this plan and we suffered for it. I don't think they got any fish over 40.... maybe one. When you stay at the lodge I predict any one boat in any one area before you, will put the fish down. Think about how voracious pike are, they kill anything... but only to a point after being hooked so many times.

Here's what happened in a micro scenario on Nipigon. Fresh fish were found in a small bay and left untouched. The boat went through that area regularly and stormy weather came and went as well. Couple days later we began fishing the spot for about 4 hours. All the big 40+" pike were on, aggressively hitting the lures before smaller fish. They tripped over themselves to eat. I'd bet they hadn't seen a lure, ever. The following day, more big pike smashed lures but we started to get more mid to high 30's in the mix. The next day we plucked three or four over 40" but many more 30's were caught. By night four I had a 40+ follow my fly and not take. Being that it was sight fishing, when my lure or fly hit the water, many smaller fish were now hitting but some of those 30's and 40's I watched them actually spook and dart right out of the area when the boat came close or the lure splashed over top of them. Moving out off the spot into deeper water I may have stumbled upon more of those bigger fish out sulking but I ran out of time to make too many casts..... This same sort of scenario has played out with gar, bass and muskie as well. Pressured fish made wise to anglers, we know it happens all the time. With gar and pike at least I have come around again after a period of several days to weeks and been able to find those fish back to normal again... Break individual fishing spots down at Kesagami and consider the daily pressure when the lodge is in full swing. Even if you're there a quiet week, who knows if the camp had a bunch of pros in the week before who quietly pounded fish, or maybe some knuckleheads ran the Indy500 daily in some bay?

Huge area, little water... for as big as Kesagami is, it isn't. Not when say, six boats roll in and out of Small Bay in a day, or the same in North, Edgar or wherever. Our last trip was on the heels of the lodge closing and only one forty came out of a bay... the other four (and bigger) were outside off the points and well out of the bay. Trip prior to that was similar... prior to that it was magical weather and it didn't matter. Earlier season too, the fish are plenty more comfortable to be scattered and shallow. Go later, when the cooling begins and the shallow veg starts to die off and watch those fish concentrate more to the deeper parts of the bays, to places of greener veg not yet withering, and many pike wanting to put on the fall feedbag while being out deeper and less affected by angling pressure.

Lastly... shiznit happens! Other great fisheries visited have turned off and on for different reasons over the years as well. A great trip doesn't mean a second greater trip will follow. It's fishing,,, and oftentimes we have little control over the outcomes.

Edited by Moosebunk

A 37 incher came after hitting a spot on north after another party had just fished it. My bud thought it pointless but I saw a change in conditions. "Whim" fishing worked best on this trip as it did the last one...going to the spot when conditions changed for the better. One spot turned on with multiple big aggressive fish within for about 1/2 an hour. I too have left key spots unfished for a day or two, but who knows who else fished. Great spots would come up blank in ideal conditions.

For all the trolling we did we only landed a 30 incher....many walleye and small pike.

The pressure argument makes sense but the pressure has always been there...this time virtually all the big pike were caught in the first weeks. That's the difference with Kes. I'd still fish it given the choice between Kes and anything in southern Ontario. It still is a majestic lake and an awesome experience but if the opportunity avails itself I'd rather try other spots next year. Heck for the work we put into it we would probably would have just as much success at Lake of the Woods, Seul, or Nipigon for the same price or less.

Finally over the years we've talked some about life changes, schooling in particular, you measuring what's in store for your future based on what's happening in my life. Here's something to consider, aging parents and retirement! One thing I will have to do before retiring is know there will be enough money to do one decent fishing trip in the year, the other is that both Leslie's dad and my mom have health issues that are keeping us closer to home. I had to arrange with my brother blocks of weeks in the summer when one of us would be near mom. Kesagami was chosen last minute as the health of both parents improved and that was the time I was "free". If you have been dreaming of family trip to a special location like BC for several weeks it might be the time to do it. The other thing is that the "girls" and your gal don't have the open agenda they did when younger. There are new pressing interests like jobs, boyfriends, and with Leslie her dad.

scuro2, you are giving sage advice.

And as Bunk now knows (about me), we older anglers are less ABLE to do the stuff we did when we were in our prime. No matter how good the water, I can only handle so many hours a day. That amount is less if it is hot and sunny. No such thing as 16 hour days, and a week of them would be signing a death warrant for this old codger.

so yes, make hay while the sun shines. And you only live once.

Doug

Both you old farts... still ROCK!

I hear you Chris... and Doug. May have something up both your alleys for a future group trip. Everything but the fish will go easy on yas. lol. And yes Chris, you could use a new experience off that lake time permitting.

scuro2, you are giving sage advice.

And as Bunk now knows (about me), we older anglers are less ABLE to do the stuff we did when we were in our prime. No matter how good the water, I can only handle so many hours a day. That amount is less if it is hot and sunny. No such thing as 16 hour days, and a week of them would be signing a death warrant for this old codger.

so yes, make hay while the sun shines. And you only live once.

Doug

A plus for aging...in pike years I'm a trophy!...and the funny thing is my comfort level seems to match that of big pike and I notice that especially when conditions go from blah to tolerable. You could take me along and go, hey he's starting to fish again, the bite must be on!

I've read this post 3X over the past week & read/see something new each time.

You have a great gift Moose.

Appreciate that PS! Thanks. It's a practice well enjoyed.

A plus for aging...in pike years I'm a trophy!...and the funny thing is my comfort level seems to match that of big pike and I notice that especially when conditions go from blah to tolerable. You could take me along and go, hey he's starting to fish again, the bite must be on!

In pike years? :huh: You'd still be a dinosaur. :whistling:

I'd love to do another Nipigon trip.. the guy I went with only likes to troll for brookies which is torture to me. I Love casting to fish I can see in shallow water.

What Joey said below is how we often roll too. Especially with 3 guys. But like you pics, would rather cast to 'em when able.

Let him drive and troll out the back while you cast the shorelines. I do it all the time, works great.

I will make the occasional cast but when you are targeting trout and hook into a big pike the trollers get grumpy.. if I ever get back there I would love to have a second boat..