Camping/fishing in Elliot Lake region this weekend

Locnar

Hey guys, my buddy has invited me to go camping and fishing in Elliot Lake this long weekend. I have done a little research about the lake we're on and a couple of the nearby lakes... and it seems they're mostly lake trout, brook trout or rainbow trout lakes. We are both looking to search for lake trout, and seeing that I've never had any luck trying for them in the winter... I'm definitely not sure we'll find one this weekend... Is there any tips or techniques you could recommend? Lure choices?

I'm sure I can figure out the Rainbows and Smallies in some of the other lakes.

Thanks guys, I got a few different spoons, some deep divers in silver and blue, a big bucktail jig in white and some bigger white paddle tail jigs... hopefully we catch something? Bringing my fly rod along as well in case I see a nice river or creek.

I'm back now, and ctdd2006, I didn't see your message til now. Unfortunately. I appreciate the offer though buddy! I was camped on Semiwhite lake. On my way up on Thursday evening, my car broke down outside of Espanola... where I had to wait for a tow to Elliot Lake. Turns out I blew my head gasket, so I left it at Canadian Tire until yesterday where I sold it for $100. That was a crappy start to the weekend, but I was glad when my buddy picked me up at Crappy Tire and got me to camp. We fished semiwhite with no luck on Friday... then fished Elliot Lake on Saturday after trying to find out if I could get my car fixed... which I couldn't. Caught loads of smallies and 1 little pikey. Beautiful lake and great weather. On Sunday our plan was to drive north to find a pickerel lake, but come the morning we decided against it and tried Semiwhite again. Went to about 40ft depth and jigged near the bottom, and I finally got myself a lake trout, my very first. It wasn't very big, but it was a first and nice to see. Shortly after I caught that fish, my buddy realizes he got signal on the lake and my family had been trying to get a hold of me. Turns out my grandpa passed away right around the same time as I was catching that fish. RIP Grandpa, he was a great man and had a bigger influence in my life than he ever realized. So, all in all, the camping was great, the beers were delicious, and the fishing was fairly decent. The car issue sucks, but not nearly as much as my Grandpa passing.

jbs4JBV.jpg

BIi1WPC.jpg

AHRYVge.jpg

XPiejOh.jpg

QAbnL5u.jpg

Thanks guys, just had the service for my gramps today. Was glad to see everyone who showed up to pay respect and the side of the family I don't normally see at family junctions. It was less of a funeral and mourning and more of a celebration of life and tales of yesteryear.