Trolling motor for 16' Pontoon

adam lancia

Bought a used minn kota from a member here many years ago, must be at least 8 years now, maybe more, and it still runs like a top, just like the day I bought it. I saved a pile of money.

S.

If a member here was selling used or a member recommends something I would take that into consideration vs. buying from someone I don't know from Adam on Kijiji for example. I probably have a few years on you guys and as I always say experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again. I have gotten great deals privately and have been taken by a few as well. I wouldn't expect a 1 year warranty all you need is 30 days, money back guarantee. If someone doesn't believe it will last at least 30 days I pass on the deal. I spent $14000.00 on a used Lund that was being sold "As is" and I asked for a 30 day warranty for leaks. The Readers Digest version is that boat was cracked from stem to stern and I brought the boat back and got all my money returned. That also taught me to splash a boat before money changed hands.

Took a few years but I saved up for the Terrova 80 as mentioned.

Here is a pic of the mount and pic of the transducer mount.

The transducer in in a 1/2" PVC pipe I believe (perfect to bend if caught on rock etc.)

Still haven't designed a better front gate setup but soon...

If you have a bimini or face heavy winds you'll want 80lb minimum.

pontoonpic1.png

Great info again gents, thanks!

What is the difference between a cable drive and a power drive? Pros and cons of each...?

Got the PM Tom, thank you!

Raycaster, thanks for the pictures, that's a great idea with the pvc running transducer mount.

OI: it would take some definite kind of guarantee to get me to buy from Kijiji, the forums are a little different though. Especially a community such as this one.

Lol @ swervy Pete!

Edited by adam lancia

Cable drives turn the motor with cables that are attached to the footpedal. They are quicker to respond to turning, but the footpedal cant be moved very far from the trolling motor.

Power drives are turned with an electric motor, anf the foot pedals have a 20ft cord so you can steer the boat from anywhere. They also have a continuous on function, so you just flip a switch, and slowly move along, then adjust steering when needed.

I do a lot of slow trolling with mine, so i set the bowmount straight, and steer with my main engine from the drivers seat. No need to have my foot on the pedal.

S.

Edited by Sinker

What is the difference between a cable drive and a power drive? Pros and cons of each...?

Cable drive will give you better control over the steering when your foot is on the pedel. It should also give you better battery life because you are not using battery power to steer.

The power drive can be controlled from anywhere on the boat and has the option of auto pilot features such as holding a straight line, locking on a position, saving a trolling route. They also take up less space without the cable foot pedel.