Gotta love bass opener.....some Hawgs.

Freshtrax

Gotta,over bass opener....we had the lake to ourselves :)

Thought a about long point for bass but I haven't been on the big pond in 3 weeks and I had the itch.

Sat.

Had my Dad and younger brothers out ..slow start to the day didn't move a rod till 11 then it picked up with a bunch of small 5-8 lb salmon everybody got to land a fish so the pressure was of. The dipsy fires and I realize this wasn't your average fish so I handed it to Dad I don't normally like catching lakers in the summer as they don't release too well so I try to avoid catching them... This one came up and smashed a wire dipsy meat rig down about 50 ft over 200 ft of water and when he realized he was hooked he headed straight for the bottom. Tipped the scales at 23. Was 32 inches long with a 24 inch girth. Pictures don't do this fish justice. I only have the measurements because unfortunately the fish would not release. It will now be fed to the barn cats at the farm :(

FB_IMG_1466893713431_zpsi8eorhf9.jpg

Sunday

The forecast was super sketchy heading into Sunday calling for 30 kph winds around 9 . Adam and I decided to play chicken with the weatherman. Launched at 5 and the lake was flat till 10. And some fish came to cooperate also. It was the exact opposite of yesterday I couldn't get the second downriggers set for the first half hour with 3 fish right off the bat. Went 5/7. Mostly smaller fish again with a nice teen and this Hawg mixed in.

20160626_0629260_zpspywowbpz.jpg

Great weekend.

Edited by Freshtrax

We do the same, some of the charter guys go so far as to have a aerated live well with iced water to put them in for 10 min before release. We unhook in the net quick picture then drag with boca grip till they look like they are ready to go.... This one didn't make it, I always feel guilty when it happens.

Nice fish! The lake looks very calm in the second photo for there to be 30 kph winds later in the day!

I just keep it in back of my mind that all Great Lakes are trying to kill me at all times..... Keeps me out of trouble...I'm sure it got nasty in the afternoon.

I just keep it in back of my mind that all Great Lakes are trying to kill me at all times..... Keeps me out of trouble...I'm sure it got nasty in the afternoon.

Good attitude FT, these Great Lakes will kill you faster than a bullet. Guys will call me and ask how the lake looks? Call me every 15 minutes and I'll tell you. I love when someone asks me "is my boat big enough for Erie?" all the wrecks on the bottom were very big boats.

Nice day you had there FT, congrats.

I was expecting a very different report in mind before I clicked on this one.LOL

Nice tank of a laker and the chinny is sweet. Looking forward to the salmon moving closer to shore within spoon chucking range :)