Value of ETEC 150 HO

Spanky80

if your current motor has given you no grief I am also of the opinion of sticking with it. Why fix what ain't broke! Yes you can spend 9000 and have a warranty...but if your new motor is a lemon your boat will sit in the shop. Sure its covered by warranty but what comfort is that when its sitting high and dry in the marina. Just because something is new doesn't mean it will be trouble free, might have been made on a Friday by guys looking forward to the week-end. Now if your current motor is very unreliable and IS a lemon...then yes, go for it and hope the new one treats you well

Have the shop do an analysis on the motor this fall and give you an honest opinion. On board computers can be read. Plugs and compression would tell you how healthy your motor is. I have motorcycles and cars from the 70;s that run like clockwork.

Art

Spending 9000 to buy a warranty costs you about 2000 a year. You will not see repairs that costly over the next 5 years with your current motor.

But - when I get my mind on something or start worrying - I often cannot turn another direction so I get it.

Message me if and when you're selling it.

Cheers

Will do!

Spending 9000 to buy a warranty costs you about 2000 a year. You will not see repairs that costly over the next 5 years with your current motor.

But - when I get my mind on something or start worrying - I often cannot turn another direction so I get it.

Agreed Landry, sounds like me LOL. You (and others that have responded) are right with the math, possibly the only benefit is that after five years the entire package may be worth a bit more with a 2017 engine as opposed to a 2010...but I realize not $9,000 more.

In 2013 I re-powered my machine.

It was time to replace the 23 year old 90 HP Merc 2 stroke with a new 115 HP Merc 4 stroke.

I wasn't replacing it because I had to, I was replacing it because I wanted a new fuel efficient 4 stroke.

In fact I sold my old engine to a fella in one of the communities North of here and he is running it on his boat.

Got a good buck for it too. Mind you it was sold with controls and cables, 2 props, specialty tools and repair manual plus even used outboards tend to hold their value well here.

Love my new 4 stroke and it is paired with Smartcraft gauges which are awesome.

11880484_1219006711458999_65686710927415

I have a 115 horse Mariner going on 23 years old. It is the least of my maintenance concerns, never had a problem since I have owned it going on 9 years. Good fuel, regular maintenance turn key and go. The guy that had it before me actually kept every receipt from oil to plugs since new. The Stator was the only major thing during the time he owned it. I don't get wanting a new engine every few years so one can sleep at night. Heck my wife's 07 Nissan Altima just hit 300,000 KMS, never an issue since new and is in showroom condition. I sleep well at night.

I'm with the majority, if it ain't broke don't get rid of it!

250 hours is nothing, unless you have a hole burning in your wallet for a new toy, I don't think the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke will be a huge difference.

though I know when looking at hole shot generally a 2 stroke has better performance.

But hey to each their own good luck!

not a merc fan in general

just my 2 cents

not impressed by merc whatsover here either!

pops bought a boat 3 years ago with 50 hours on it...the thing has been nothing but problems since. I dont think wed ever buy a north american outboard again, never mind even a ski-poo...our sleds have been a mess as well. Not impressed...hind site is 20 20

I agree with keeping the old motor. I have a 2003 E-Tec 90 that I run on my Lund. It has over 800 hrs on it and it still runs strong without any issues. It starts with the first crank in both cold and hot weather. It has never overheated and still pulls strong.

I don't abuse my motor by running it full throttle. One important thing to do is to make sure you do the maintenance on a regular schedule. I follow the 3 yr or 300 hour service interval.

Save yourself the $12,000+

I'm sure you can find a better use for your money..... :)

Edited by Sour_Squirrel

Really I would figure out what you are gonna get for it, what its gonna cost to get a new one, take that cash difference and buy more lures and rods. Haha. Imo a used 150 with low hours will net you between 4000 and 7000 just depends on the need at the time.