Bass Opening Week 2016 Report!

Hello everybody once again! Just arrived home late today from a fantastic camping and fishing trip with my dad and uncle. The bass were somewhat challenging at times early in the trip however although numbers were not the case early on I was finding decent fish and as the week progressed I found more fish exploring new water. Punching matted cover was the key this trip most of the time. Using a bully grass devil a black and blue punch skirt and a 1oz weight i just picked apart thicker matts under the hot sunny conditions. In the mornings we used a topwater walk the dog style bait and managed to catch smallies daily even creating a flurry one morning putting 4 in the livewell in 10 minutes. Enjoy the pictures my dad managed to get his first smallie this trip of a decent size so that was exciting for him. As well my uncle caught his first nice largemouth on a flipping jig and bait caster.

Day 1 was a grind boat traffic was wild to say the least for north eastern ontario, regardless I caught little fish all morning and then once the sun got high I got this nice largemouth from under a matt.

L4jHJnr.jpg
Later in the evening found another bigger bass under the cover. Love the fight and patience you need to pick apart the cover.
7PuAVa9.jpg
Following morning I picked up a nice smallmouth after some smaller ones.
DyZYKKZ.jpg
My uncle with his first of the trip froggin the early morning heavy cover.
iq1BtIT.jpg
Later I was looking for smallmouth off the rock walls and points and picked up this beauty largemouth.
EmBkIwo.jpg
Finding lot's of these in the open shallows great fights on the swim jig/swinging hammer combo.
jneUVcG.jpg
Some chunky ones punching in those hot afternoons. Lot's of fun!
hrgRm8o.jpg
And another little bigger
6B410Wf.jpg
No stoping them always on the initial drop through the cover
lkarWHf.jpg
Good fish on a swim jig
81noCq1.jpg
Re rigging baits for the next day.
c0HtAqj.jpg
Fat little chunky bass feeding up after the spawn
unxw16o.jpg
Checking some hard bottom areas off shore. Got this one off a 19' hump while we were in 30 casting up onto it. Got a few smaller ones and this nice largemouth
yJGd3nb.jpg
Swim jig time once again. I cut the swinging hammer a inch back to shorten it up but that wide swing just drives them nuts year round always a good search bait.
Ep3V4vc.jpg
Nice largemouth in the pads he had to have that flipping jig. Didn't get many fish on jig's this trip
RGxLzci.jpg
First big largie of the trip half pound shy of 5lbs. Went for my pitch bait the 3.5" Texas-Rig Jig.
UQQUtzH.jpg
Back to the heavy cover for me after pulling that big bucket off wood laydowns and shade cover nice fish to kick off another day. Frog was slow this week lot's of 1lbr's hitting them but once I slowed down it seemed to put fish in the boat. Temps were 71degrees to 80 degrees this week fish were finicky early and late but mid day seemed to be very active.
8UfhHzP.jpg
My uncle with his first jig fish was happy for him!
mSTpT0z.jpg
Dad with his first decent largemouth of the trip he got on a roll that afternoon.
YCGHJk5.jpg
No giants but solid fish to fill the day he finally let me get catch up a little with a couple of these took a picture of this one most were just shy of 2lbs but all part of exploring new water
Pye4COl.jpg
My turn
WzDZbLf.jpg
Another for him
UzkV5f8.jpg
Next day was one to remember not so much the size of the fish but how it happened. Getting on the lake a lake early as always I went to a spot and found a little school of fish. Made a cast put 1 in the livewell. Dad made his cast out with the popper i would use the walking bait and wham fish number 2 in the box. Cast 3 was another catch and same as cast 4. The action then died off but I got a nice picture with my dad all solid fish and what a blast it was!
hfzh5Y1.jpg
Number 1 was a little over 2lbs followed by these chunky 3's
siYVTSp.jpg
And number 4. They loved that bait and the 15lb mono i was using was perfect for hiding the line and keeping the flurry going
d6mc8xL.jpg
Better 2 of the bunch
doO3d1z.jpg
Dad and I he was a great net man. Wish they would of gave the popper a go but liked my dog x speed slide more.
NjPBHTI.jpg
Later on my second last day I was working the same bait out deep over a a weedline edge. About 20fow and as i saw it come up i did everything i could to keep it moving super slow. Flat calm super hot out was wild but it happened. She went 5lbs 0oz on the nose. Couldn't be happier what a beauty.
bCCpNm0.jpg
Side shot of the fish. Perfect close to a awesome trip
SDMjVx6.jpg
Dad caught his first smallie of a decent size. Working the swimjig on heavy braid his largemouth setup. Apparently she didn't care was happy for him the fight was wild!
vbAzvfb.png
Next morning I caught only 3 or 4 this was my biggest close to 4 not quite but a fun fish on the surface bait.
Bcj6EOZ.jpg
And to close out the trip I seemed to catch pike all afternoon. Dad got the last bass for this round. August is coming up and round 2 will begin. Enjoying my boat the 3 of us built this spring. Can't wait to take a day trip or two through July!
Thanks for reading everybody, time to read up and see some reports and stories!
Tightline's everybody,
MTBF
Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Every report you have is super in depth and is always chalked full of pigs. Good job, and it's good to see how happy your family is in that boat you guys built. Great report and I'm glad everybody got their share of monsters. Long live bass opener!

You hammered them man!! We went out for smallies on Erie this morning and boated 30 nice fish. It was steady for the 4 hours out. What a blast.

Never fished big water like Erie must of been a blast! Thanks for the comment was a great week!

Every report you have is super in depth and is always chalked full of pigs. Good job, and it's good to see how happy your family is in that boat you guys built. Great report and I'm glad everybody got their share of monsters. Long live bass opener!

Thanks buddy boat worked great! Worked out the kinks 2 or 3 little things i wanna play around with!

Looks like a great trip

Thanks sure was!

That's a lot of bass. How's the thumb?

Thumb's are raw haha! Thanks for the comment!