Buying a used boat. What to look for.

Tjames09

How big of water will you be on? Champions can handle some really rough water. I have riden a few older champs. The Princecraft will be more comfortable on smaller waters (like kawartha size) with 4 people. but fewer than 4 people and the champion will be a more solid ride and much better fishing platform.

As for fuel mileage. If you run both boat at 40mph (likely 3/4 throttle cruising rpms on the champ) and wot on the princecraft you will see rather similar fuel consumption. bass boats are fairly efficient cruising hulls of course if you cruise at WOT then yah you will burn as hole in your pocket.

IF you run either WOT of course the smaller boat will get better fuel mileage.

IMO if this is a fishing boat I would go with the champ. If its a family boat I would go with princecraft.

Edited by jedimaster

The right boat would depend on the type of fishing and any other uses you intend.

I do a lot of open water trolling with down riggers, etc., the Princecraft would better suit my needs. If most of your fishing is casing the shallows for bass, then the Champion would be better suited to that type of fishing. The Princecraft would also be better for cruising around the lake with your family too.

Those 2 boats are entirely different. For running and gunning the Bass boat, for a general "Fish and Ski" family run about the Princecraft. You may already know that for any given boat just a foot longer equates to a much roomier boat. For me my boat serves it's purpose. I can take 3 others out with me for a nice boat ride. I move the seats around and I can have one on the bow casting and one on the casting platform at the stern, if still fishing for perch I can have the 3 of us comfortably. Take 2 seats out and we run 4 rods longline trolling with myself and another maximum. If it's versatility you want a 17 to 20 foot aluminum is your boat. You need to decide what "purpose" you want before buying. Ask around here and get yourself invited for a day and see what you like best or go to every showroom you can and get in the boats with the number of folks you see yourself out with for a day. A pal bought a 20 foot Ranger Bass boat and was surprised how little space there is once 2 persons and he are aboard.

I hear you guys but - I bought my 17 ft deep V Tracker new back in 1991 - I paid close to 10K for it - it has a 40 OMC on it - I had no problems with it at all - still have it and intend to keep it for a long time - on the motor I have never changed the impeller on the water pump - from what I read it is the newer welded hulls that are cracking and buyers are not getting satisfaction from the customer service - if I were to buy a new boat it would be a Lund - I've fished in a couple of these boats and really liked them - I actually priced one last year just for kicks - getting one with everything I wanted would set me back around 33K -

I had a 16' riveted Tracker, it started leaking like a sieve after it was just over a year old. Bass Pro fixed it, and within a few months it was leaking badly again. Never again. My 16' Legend Pro Sport, while not considered a 'higher end' boat has served me very well in all kinds of water, and has had zero issues after 6 years.

Pete

Never changed the impeller!!!!??????

That's right - no sense changing it as long as it works - it's the old story - don't fix it if it ain't broke - it's been working for 25 years - maybe some kind of record - maybe I can get my name in some kind of record book -

That's right - no sense changing it as long as it works - it's the old story - don't fix it if it ain't broke - it's been working for 25 years - maybe some kind of record - maybe I can get my name in some kind of record book -

Now you've jinxed yourself.....LOL ..I would be changing it just for peace of mind

• 2 weeks later...