Buying a used boat. What to look for.

Tjames09

Well I think it's time I look at a boat for myself. I'm looking used and sub $10,000. I've scoured kijiji and trader a bit now but I honestly have no idea what I'm looking for. I know I don't want it to old and I'd prefer it to be ready to go with fish finder and trolling motor.

Any suggestions with brands and models. Even perhaps engine sizes and styles of boat.

Too bad your budget isn't a bit higher, I'm selling my Princecraft 164 SS and it is in EXCELLENT condition, doesn't have the trolling motor but does have Lawrence HDS 5 sonor/GPS and it is ready to go. What to look for? no leaks, no rotten wood, everything in good working order, and brand names tend to be better built products.

I suppose a bit more information might help (ie how you plan to use the boat - fishing alone? with 4 other guys? tubing?) but for me, I had a great boat for kawarthas when I lived up in Barrie. Was a 16 foot princecraft, side console, bowmount trolling motor, 50 hp four stroke johnson was less than 10 years old when I sold it for under 10 k to one kickingfrog on this board. I am always happy to see his reports and pictures of "princie". If you look, you will find something. All the best in your search.

depending on the age of the boat, transom wear / weakness. Tracker = Cracker so take those of your list... Are you looking to fish real skinny water for bass or looking to be able to get close enough to skinny water? what type of hull? As for HP if it's not the max rating make sure it's close.

depending on the age of the boat, transom wear / weakness. Tracker = Cracker so take those of your list... Are you looking to fish real skinny water for bass or looking to be able to get close enough to skinny water? what type of hull? As for HP if it's not the max rating make sure it's close.

Itll be on Sturgeon

Thats not what I was thinking at all.....That looks like something for duck hunting

I suppose a bit more information might help (ie how you plan to use the boat - fishing alone? with 4 other guys? tubing?) but for me, I had a great boat for kawarthas when I lived up in Barrie. Was a 16 foot princecraft, side console, bowmount trolling motor, 50 hp four stroke johnson was less than 10 years old when I sold it for under 10 k to one kickingfrog on this board. I am always happy to see his reports and pictures of "princie". If you look, you will find something. All the best in your search.

Fishing, 3 people max. No tubing.

I dont really know what brands are good, what brands arent good. What age is a cutoff to stop looking. What HP motor to look at.

Go to iboats.com and look at the general discussion forum and you will find a post pinned listing everything to look for on a used boat both aluminum and glass. I'll find the link.

If you only do 1 thing make sure you run it in the water, not on muffs or in a drum, run it under load. If the seller has any issue with taking it out say bye, bye. I see many boats for sale out here in our area and trailers are important. Some will swap out the trailers;

Try this link

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/general-boating-outdoors-activities/boat-topics-and-questions-not-engine-topics/650747-for-new-members-needing-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist

Edited by Old Ironmaker

If I where looking at boats, I'd look at starcraft, Lund, princecraft or Crestliner. All have a good track record of building quality boats. There are other brands but those 4 are a good starting point. I have a preference for Lund. I believe I have a pretty good all around boat, a 16 foot 50hp combo. It does a lot of things well with 2 guys in the boat, sometimes 3 can be tough depending what your doing and it's sometimes limited by big water, but I've had it on the main basin of Simcoe and the Great Lakes in good conditions. You could get something similar for under 10k. If your plan is to fish big water or regularly put 3 in the boat then go bigger. Other people have covered the flaws to look for.

Edited by porkpie

My riveted Tracker Deep V 17 is 23 years old and doesnt leak a drop, original rivets tight as a drum :dunno:

My riveted Tracker Deep V 17 is 23 years old and doesnt leak a drop, original rivets tight as a drum :dunno:

you got a very rare one then. I've been in a few and they all got wet. One even sank if you recall...

Edited by GBW

you got a very rare one then. I've been in a few and they all got wet. One even sank if you recall...

I'm not sure, but I believe the ones that leaked and sank were of newer vintage (post 2004) and all welded hulls? I haven't heard of any of the riveted tracker hulls having issues.

​Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tracker boats are an entry level boat and are sold under powered. Once upgraded to the power they should be the prices are in line with a better boat. As they say God is in the details. I have looked at Trackers sitting outside of Bass Pro in St. Kitts On. and the detail and quality of "some" of those boats are deplorable. On one every hold was full of water from rain, welds that looked like a poor apprentice made the passes, and this is a showroom boat. I don't want to offend a Tracker owner but they are the Lada's of pleasure crafts.

It really depends on the brand, aluminum versus tin. If a tin boat your best off to stick with Lund, Princecraft and Crestliner. If fiberglass (bass boats and fish n skiis) I would definitely kick all chopper boats off the list. So fiberglass its either hand laid with sheets of fiberglass or they have a form and spray in fiberglass and vacuum press it into the form(Chopper). These are boats like Nitro, Astro etc... Skeeter, Ranger etc..are hand laid fiberglass. They will last well into 40 and 50 years as long as they are kept care of. Chopper boats can start to run into issues very soon after new. Given your price range Your going to be into older boats. JMHO. As for age cutoff. With a tin boat I would try and be 30yrs or newer if its one of the above brands and really and age if its a hand laid fiberglass boat.

Be weary of any welded aluminum hull.

For motors, the older Yam motors are the most reliable.

Again this is just my opinion.

check the condition of the carpet, try to get a feeing of the floorboards. Stand in the boat and if you feel any soft spots, if the floor needs changing.

check the wiring, if it looks neat, thats good, if it looks all spliced, then be aware.

check the bilge pump and listen weather it turns on smoothly and quietly and also the pump for live well.

check the electronics if they operate and the holders are not cracked.

check the lighting and the trolling motor if there is one. make sure the troller works.

check the age of the batteries for starting and trolling

check the trailer tires if they are worn and see if the trailer is equipped with bearing buddies. does it have a spare?

check the prop look for bent and dents and unscrew the lower unit gear oil screw to check condition of the oil and for metal bits on the screw.

most the top issues are bargaining items and not real deal breakers and can be fixed or replaced for reasonable amounts depending if yu can do it yourself.

the one thing that is most important is to have the motor compression checked. if compression varies by more than 10%from one cylinder to another or there is no compression, the motor will need major expensive work.

It really depends on the brand, aluminum versus tin. If a tin boat your best off to stick with Lund, Princecraft and Crestliner. If fiberglass (bass boats and fish n skiis) I would definitely kick all chopper boats off the list. So fiberglass its either hand laid with sheets of fiberglass or they have a form and spray in fiberglass and vacuum press it into the form(Chopper). These are boats like Nitro, Astro etc... Skeeter, Ranger etc..are hand laid fiberglass. They will last well into 40 and 50 years as long as they are kept care of. Chopper boats can start to run into issues very soon after new. Given your price range Your going to be into older boats. JMHO. As for age cutoff. With a tin boat I would try and be 30yrs or newer if its one of the above brands and really and age if its a hand laid fiberglass boat.

Be weary of any welded aluminum hull.

For motors, the older Yam motors are the most reliable.

Again this is just my opinion.

Didn't know this about fibreglass boats.

Thanks.

I will chime in but most people have covered what you should look for. Johnson/Evinrude motors are well built and have surplus parts available, sometime to consider as all things break. You can get into an older aluminum boat and be fine given a: the boat was a quality product to begin with; ie Princecraft, sea nymph, creastliner, Lund as more as mentioned above. b: is how it was taken care of, so look it over well check for welds and anyone re riveting the gussets. Check the transom as well its a big thing. If you're handy the condition of the seats and such are not a big deal as they are easily replaced. A friend of mine has a small boat dealership / small engine shop just outside of Bancroft I am sure he can put you together something older, but nice, for $2000-$3000 range. I know he currently has a nice Lund bowrider with trailer for $5000. PM me if you are interested.

Good luck with your search.