places worth seeing along Hwy 127, 62 ,28

huzzsaba

As some of you may have read of my plans to go to algonquin in July for a 3 day camping trip, I plan for the return route to exit out on the east side and explore the routes on that side on the way back to Oakville. So far, I have found the following places of interest, but would like to know if they are worth checking out or if I should skip it. Please keep in mind that I am travelling with my wife and 2 young girls so something family friendly.

1) Lake St Peter Provincial Park

2)Silent Lake Provincial Park

3) Egan chutes provincial park

4)Burleigh falls

5)Wolf Island provincial park.

6)Petroglyphs provincial park

Prefer to see something with a wow factor to it as oppose to something that might be similar to what I probably will already see in Algonquin.

Thanks!!

Edited by huzzsaba

The Eagles Nest in Bancroft is kind of neat.

It's not an actual nest but a lookout high over the town at the north end.

It's just across the street from the Tim Hortons if I remember correctly; although the road up to it is a bit further north off highway 62 on the left(east)

if you're traveling south.

Your wife may be interested in the Madawaska Art Shop in Maynooth (She might spend money though). I haven't been there for a few years; but it did have some interesting decorations. There also used to be good butter tarts across the street.

Lake St Peter is ..ok smaller lake usually with above average traffic, though it does have lakers and smallies in it and an ice cream shop. If you don't mind the extra drive Barry's bay is nice, mostly a shopping stop though.

JohnBacon is spot on, the Madawaska art shop in Maynooth is worth the stop, and those butter tarts across the road are the best.

Eagles nest in Bancroft is nice for the sight, if you are thinking about stopping for lunch there is a small business in a converted house called "For the Halibut". This is by far the best fish you will ever eat, price is steep at $15 a plate for halibut, however I can eat with the best of them and I usually cannot finish the meal.

I havnet been to many of the others on your list, Paudash lake is on 28 and is a big lake, decent fishing but if you have a boat its a fun day on the water.

Burleigh falls is fun as well, you can take the kids and play in the "rapids"

Good burger joint on the 115 too, you have to park on the opposite side of the road and use the bridge to get to it but its good, pricey again but good.

On HWY 28 south of Bancroft in Apsley is The Swiss Bear. Time your lunch or dinner to end up there, or at the very least stop in to get a tart or two. Their schnitzel is the bee's knees, and hospitality is second to none. Many times after a long day of solo ice fishing in that area, I'd come in towards the end of their night and they'd really fix me up with something to warm up with... throwing in a free dessert, as well. Awesome people.

Burleigh Falls gets old pretty fast. I guess it's worth seeing once, but it's really just a bunch of rapids. Egan Chutes is a nicer, more natural waterfall.

If you shoot up HWY62 towards Combermere, there's a beautiful public beach on Lake Papineau. But that's a bit out of your way.

If you shoot up HWY62 towards Combermere, there's a beautiful public beach on Lake Papineau. But that's a bit out of your way.

If you do head out that way, there is a look out south of Bark Lake. I think it is much better view (and less walking if that matters) than the Eagle's Nest in Bancroft. It is not very well marked though. It is on the south side of the highway.

Huzzsaba In the Mineral Museum they have some rocks that I bet you have never seen. Geods the size of basket balls. Neat stuff. From all over the world.

They also sell tickets to a rock deposit where you and your family can do you own looking for different minerals. Sometimes you can find stuff that you can make jewelry from.

A good way to spend a couple of hours. I hope to get back up there this fall when the leafs are changing.

p.s. I have been to the petroglyphs. twice, not as interesting as the museum.

Regards

Edited by davew3