Question about boat floor replacement

jimmer

So I have a 14' Smokercraft with a flat floor and walk through. Live well on one side and storage on the other. Two bench seats, one in front and one at back. I noticed that the floor is creaking and is starting to get softer in spots. I like to plan in advance when undertaking a job like this. My issue is that the compartments and bench seats are riveted to the sides of the boat, but screwed to the flood. Does anyone have experience with changing a floor in this situation? Does the floor have to be replaced in pieces in order to be able to slide the wood under the pieces that are riveted to the sides? An direction would probably help me.

Thanks in advance.

Take out all the screws holding stuff to the floor, remove what you can without disturbing the rivets holding to the sides (hull), rip out the carpet to expose the floor. Once you can see it you can better plan your approach. You'll probably find more fasteners such as large aluminum pop rivets holding the plywood in, drill those out. You may have to actually cut the old floor into pieces to remove it (small circular saw set to thickness of plywood is a big help). Most of the items riveted to the sides can usually be lifted up just enough to allow removal and replacement ( a buddy or two to help would be highly recommended). You may have to piece the new floor in as well. It's a lot of work, I've done it three times, but I enjoy doing stuff like that and have done it solo all 3 times. Take your time and remind yourself to do the best job possible. It's not a quick job, and it's also the time to make any improvements you've dreamed about. If you have a heated shop I'd suggest it's a great winter project.

Good luck and post lotsa pictures when you get going!

Michael