Ford vs Chev vs Dodge

FLEX ROD

Well as luck would have it my Toyota Highlander got totaled on me last week, yes I was in it but fortunately I walked out of it with just being banged up from the air bags, thank God.

So it is time to replace it, with the fact that I will probably be building a new house soon the idea of a pick-up is not that crazy, but I have never owned one I really don't have a clue on what to look for.

Not looking at new, probably 3 - 4 years old, I will need it to seat 4 and 4 wheel drive / not full time .

I really am lost in this department, I will drive all 3 tomorrow but would love to get some feed back as to what you folks have had and or have and what you would be looking at.

If I decide not to go this route, my decision will be really easy, Toyota Highlander here I come.

Help please, and many thanks in advance,

Thanks, FLEX

I'm running a 2010 f150 with a 4.6L since new. It's been a pretty good truck. Previous to that I had a 1997 Chevy with the 305. Also a very good truck. The only weak spot I've heard of from other ford owners is the occasional blown tranny. Happened to a buddy of mine on an 06, and I've heard of it happening to a friend of my main fishing buddy, apparently that was an 09. Otherwise they seem to run pretty well. The dodge sure does look nice, but I know nothing about them. Ford or Chev are pretty solid though! If you have the driveway space, go for the 6.5 foot box (ford) or whatever Chevy offers as the mid length box. I can get a full size atv in mine with the gate closed. Make sure you get running boards!

Edited by porkpie

I am so happy you weren't injured badly. Now I have owned all 3 pick ups. I am a Chevy Silverado guy. I bought my first brand new for me vehicle from a dealer in 2011. A Chev Silverado. The same F 150 was $15,000.00 more, same for the Ram. I am a best value for my money kind of guy. In my opinion the Chevy was the best value. I now have 95,000 K on it and it runs and looks like new. My next door neighbour Jim bought his F 150 the same year and he paid over 17K more for it than I paid for my Chevy. He has more bells and whistles that he never uses than my Silver Bullet. It runs well but not 17K more well. I didn't even look at the Dodge Ram as a very close friend has a 2009 and is going on his 3rd tranny. I chose the crew cab full 4 door with a smaller box because I am kind to my passengers, tons of rear leg space. I love my Chevy. Plus from the money I saved I bought a 19 foot StarCraft with a 115 Mariner. I had it before I bought the truck. I can't even feel it behind my Chev. It's the small block 8, 4.8, but I have no complaints. I did the mileage thing last month and am getting 13 without the boat and 15 Lts/100 K towing, not bad I think as my wife's Altima gets 9 LTS/100K. It doesn't have the on board fuel calculator but for 15K savings I can use my dollar store calculator.

Good luck shopping.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

If you plan on renovations definitely get a 6.5' or full 8' box, you'll see generally everything is at least 8 feet in length and depending on what else you'd be getting into (structural) longer than 8.

As far as brand goes for me its a no brainer to get an f-150, I know a lot of old Chevy's that cost a looottt of money. The girlfriend works at a Chev dealership and just last week there was an 09 Silverado with 131,000km needed a new engine all customer pay they didn't goodwill any of it

I am a ford guy,neighbour bought the club cab and a 8' box.That is one big truck lol.4 wheel and nice tires/rims.I have room for one,but how many do?.Good luck on what you buy!!!!That was a F150

The 6' with the tail gate down would be 8' I would guess,that would do?.

Had 2 GM's never buy another along with 3 brand new ones at work that I'll unfortunately have to drive. ATV is more comfortable. Ford, like riding on a bloody milk crate. Last 2 are RAMs and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Toyotas may be reliable but they are no where near economical. I'm over 30 MPG with the current ECODiesel.

I wanted a chev but they were way out of my price range checked out ford and ram, the ford was 7000.00 more for the same features as the ram ..the ford dealer kept saying apple and oranges but he couldnt tell me why . he did say over and over that the f150 is the best selling truck

I went with ram and so far I love it and have not had any problems....touch wood...lol

I got a 2016 f150 xlt 5.0l and i love it, great mileage,smooth ride,and tons of power.

As for the aluminum i guess you shouldnt throw toolboxes in on their corner lol.

My buddy has had his 2014 ram 1500 for a couple years and he beats the crap out of it, has had some shifting problems and noise coming from the tranny but dealer says its nothing lol.

Other than that its been pretty good to him.

Chevs are great if you can afford them and dont mind the tires breaking off?

Dumb video with the cinder blocks being dropped. Aluminum with a drop in bed liner is the way to go.

Sounds like you need a vehicle ASAP, but if you could get by somehow until the late fall, the remaining 2016's get price slashed when the 2017's are out.

I wouldn't buy any of them.

I've had Ford and GM vehicles and my folks have had a few Dodges.

I owned 1 GM and that was all it took to put me off them for life.

Dodges are crap too. Lot of electrical and tranny issues.

Fords are the best of the bunch but I still wouldn't buy one.

I will be replacing my current vehicle in a couple of years and will be getting a pick up.

A Tundra!!!! B)

your gonna have to drive em all and see your best fit. there isnt clearly one better than the other, some people like ford seats some dont ect ect

they all haul and most trucks built these days all have 300 hp or more.

only real advice i can give you is dont touch a eco diesel dodge or a eco boost ford they tend to problematic

They're all good, and they're all pieces of junk :)

I have a 13 Sierra, 64 k hard kms (harder than what most trucks see in a lifetime) and all I've had happen is a blown lightbulb. I don't give 2 craps about anything other than reliability and 4x4 capability though, which my Sierra has in spades. There's no clear winner. If you're coming from a highlander, then your lifestyle probably doesn't require an overly tough, rugged machine so just about any of the models out there would fit the bill for you. Try em out and pick what ya like best.

Wow, FANTASTIC feed back folks, many thanks .

Some how I knew that this was going to happen, that I would have feed back on all 3 and be scratching my head at the end of it all :) .

I will be driving them today but my gut without sitting in one was right off the bat was to go to the F150, will see how it feels.

As I do need to get one quite quickly time is an issue so I hope that I will have a better idea later on today...... stay tuned for more questions.

Thank you,

FLEX

It's to bad AMC was gobbled up by Chrysler.

They use to take the best of the "big three" and build bullet proof drive-trains, suspension and brakes. It just to bad they couldn't keep the bodies from rusting apart on those Jeep pick ups.

I think you'll likely turn away from this suggestion; but what about a full sized van?

No you're not going to get 4X4; but I think they are a lot more versatile. Cargo or passenger with removable seats; you'll have the most secure (out of sight of of mind) and weather proof, people/cargo hauler.

A buddy of mine went that route with a Chev G10 that has the 4.8 Vortec. No problems pulling his boat and he's rigged up a rack, that all is rods are hung off the ceiling of the van; no more stepped on broken tips. If your want of 4X4 is trouble free boat launching; I helped him weld up a 2" receiver to the front of the van. If he's at an iffy ramp, he connects the boat trailer to the front of the van; now his drive wheels are high and dry and he's never admitted to getting stuck? LOL

As for which manufacturer; everyone has their own issues with their fleet of trucks. Research what those issues are and whether there is a maintenance schedule that can be followed to prevent that issue from happening.

Chev 4X4 for example; are/were famous for chewing up front differential carrier bearings. The fix; change the diff oil every 25K and the bearings will last forever; well almost. LOL

Dan.

As a long time pickup owner and home owner, I'm sold on staying with an SUV type vehicle with a good trailer hitch and getting a landscape trailer with box at least an inch bigger than a sheet of plywood and capacity to handle a yard of crushed stone or topsoil. Works way better for me.

edit:

I don't worry about the box on the trailer, had a front end loader dump lots in it like in the commercial. Occasional coat of tremclad and all is good. The load height is also a lot better for shoveling off a load of topsoil to a wheel barrow than constantly climbing up into a pickup and being able to drop your load and unload at your convenience is nice. Just saying but I guess a guy needs at least 1 pickup in his life, I did.

Edited by dave524

Unfortunately I am not looking at new, I would like to keep it under 25k pre tax and see what that gets me age and option wise.

But first I have to figure out which truck first and then start price shopping, I do not want the price to dictate rather reliability and comfort and then price.

FLEX

I'm not saying what to do but I have had 6 brand new Fords and one Toyota. Currently in another F150 and the next one will be a Toyota.

I love that 5.7 engine and the interiors are really nice

Worked on them all. As far as the "big three" are concerned, find the best deal that you are happy with and drive it. They all can be awesome and all can be miserable lemons. Yes even imports can have issues, but are generally more reliable.

Last long term pickup for me was a 96 Ford. Cost virtually nothing in repairs over 10 years I owned it. 280,000 km. Was a deal so I bought it. Currently run a 2006 Chev with a 6 litre engine. Again it was a deal so I bought it. I love the power and the Allison 6 speed trans. Not too bad on fuel as long as you stay off the hard throttle.