spinning reel dilemma.....stradic CI4 or stradic FJ.....need opinions

bow slayer

okay getting a new reel for fathers day....now the choice ....I have found a stradic 2500 CI4 for 245 taxes in out the door or a stradic 2500 FJ 170 out the door. At first I was thinking CI4 but for the extra 80 bucks is it worth it? What would you do,both prices are excellent prices for brand new reels. They also have some brand new stradic 1000 HI on for 123,99 plus taxes. your thoughts please.....can't decide

when the Ci4 first came out I got one and a got an FJ. I sold the Ci4 before I even spooled it with line and paired it to a rod only because I didn't like the stock handle that was on it. Both are nice reels but I would have had to spend more to change the handle to one I like. Go play with both then decide. I spent the cash to play with both and I was lucky to make my cash back on the one I didn't like...

hard part is I went in thinking of getting the CI4 then I seen the FJ marked down 279. I played with both,the CI4 is definately lighter,but both feel great. I guess I am trying to justify spending the extra cash when I really don't have too.

You really don't need a ci4, the regular stradic is fine, even the 123.99 one would be great for a 1000 series reel. Very hard to justify a ci4 when they cost so much. Now that I said that, I have two 1000 ci4 stradics and I love em, and if I had the cash laying around I'd buy another if I needed a new reel. Very light reels and I find them pretty smooth. If the reel is for Wally's, definitely go for the 1000 size. That should muddy the water.

Edited by porkpie

My dad has a Stradic 2000FG that he bought from new, which influenced my decision to get a new Stradic FJ and I've never had any complaints. Great reel and the handle turns effortlessly. I've never caught any monster fish with the reel. Tried salmon with 20lb braid, but I quickly saw the backing when it ran off into Lake O, but still felt fine afterwards.

A little on the heavy side, but it'll depend on what rod and application you'll match it with.

Any light weight rod (around 4oz) felt like a better match up with a Ci4, at least to me. I tried matching a 803s GLX with the 2500 FJ and it felt too heavy. I paired it with a friend's Ci4 and immediately wanted one. Lol.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

If you are planning to pair the reel with a rod that's tip heavy then FJ for sure. I found it hard to find rods that balance with a CI4. Personal preference... I have 5 FJ's and 3 CI4's. Great reels. Worth the money. And if you can get one for a big discount, that's the one to buy. You won't be disappointed with an FJ on any rod. A CI4 should go on something extremely light to get the max benefit.

I have the CI4+ and TBH, if you're willing to spend $250, the newer Stradic FK is a much, much better reel in every regard except for weight (I also own the FK).

The CI4 is as light of a reel you're going to get, however I was hugely disappointed with the drag when it came to fighting larger fish (Like Steelhead and lakers - Can't imagine what salmon off the pier would do). The drag on my CI4+ pulses when bigger fish are running - Even sent it in to be checked out and cleaned with no real difference when I got it back. I spoke to a few tackle shop owners and salespeople and they have heard a good number of similar complaints. Apparently the rigidity/stiffness (or lack thereof) with the CI4 material is to blame (even with their newer X-Ship technology).

The Stradic FK is my new favourite reel.

So is the Ci4 really a ci4+ or the older Ci4 that had the round porting on the spool? The FJ is an older reel as well.

I've had 2 CI4 reels (the original) and would buy another in a heartbeat. I sold one and kept one but I'll probably be buying another shortly.

With a month before Icast, I would honestly wait and see what is going to be released, Japan to released a new Stradic Ci4 which would lead me to beleive there will be some deals coming up here for the ci4+ and a new version being released at icast.

I decided to save the 80 bucks, just got home with the FJ, 172 out the door. I did notice when I was there they have a FJ 1000 for 134.99. If anyone is looking for FJ 1000 at a great price I will direct you to the retailer. They also have a CI4 2500 for 240 out the door.

enjoy and I'm sure you will!!! Send the retailer info off to PUMP KNOWS (I think it was him) looking for an FJ as well as I'm sure he'd be thankful for the info.

*edit to fix name to PUMP KNOWS*

Edited by GBW

I have the CI4+ and TBH, if you're willing to spend $250, the newer Stradic FK is a much, much better reel in every

The CI4 is as light of a reel you're going to get, however I was hugely disappointed with the drag when it came to fighting larger fish (Like Steelhead and lakers - Can't imagine what salmon off the pier would do). The drag on my CI4+ pulses when bigger fish are running - Even sent it in to be checked out and cleaned with no real difference when I got it back. I spoke to a few tackle shop owners and salespeople and they have heard a good number of similar complaints. Apparently the rigidity/stiffness (or lack thereof) with the CI4 material is to blame (even with their newer X-Ship technology).

The Stradic FK is my new favourite reel.

Darn not what I wanted to hear about the new CI4 reels. I got three of them I guess that I will have to shop for a metal body reel

Depends on what you want to do with the reels. If you're drop shotting, vertical jigging or dragging tubes for bass or walleye, it's a great reel for that. According to just about every sales guy and occasional Shimano rep I spoke to, the CI4+ was designed to be a finesse reel and that's what it feels and performs like.

If I was fishing for fast running, hard-fighting fish like salmon, steelhead, carp or big lakers through the ice, I would definitely look at other reels. I used my FK all winter on lakers and all spring on Steelhead down in the lower Niagara. I'm itching to try it out on salmon off the pier later this summer.