Can't buy an eye

captpierre

Dutch or Kewley or anyone else interested, wanna do some night shift shore fishing Monday night?

I'm heading north tomorrow for the week :)

I'm off work Monday if you want to msg me Chris.

K dont listen to me

I got spooled and lost 2 sturgeon within a half hour, then a bird crapped on my shoulder

Sounds like your kind on luck... LOL!!!

Nuisance fish are just part of the package. I catch 4 rock bass to every pickerel in some drifts on our cottage lake. I'm not sure light line makes a difference. I use 12lb fluorocarbon leader on most of my jigging and live bait rods and 15 to 17lb Fluoro leader on my trolling rods depending on what I find on sale.

Believe me when I say that finesse does work. I've been fishing walleye for over 60 years and I have seen many examples of one fisherman catching walleye on almost every cast while someone else in the boat is catching next to nothing when the only difference is in the size of the line. I've seen when only the use of a snap instead of tying directly to the jig was the reason between zero strikes and many strikes. 12 lb line lets off vibrations when moving through the water. 4 lb line lets off 3 times less vibration. A 1/16 ounce VMC wacky jig drops à lot slower than a 1/4 ounce jig. You can't feel a 1/16 ounce jig with 12 lb test line. Casting the smallest size Live Action smelt imitation on 12 lb fluoro is impossible to do. I've been using 4 lb mono for walleye for over 40 years and I rarely lose a lure except jigs. Yesterday I was fishing in the Peribonka River that has a rock bottom. The river was formed by eskers and the bottom is all loose round stones. Real nightmare for jig fishermen. I lost only 1 jig in 4 hours of fishing. I also caught my limit of walleyes. The trick is to not let the jig sit on bottom but to lift it immediately off bottom but keeping the jig very close to bottom.

Technologies change, and so do the times. Many years ago I fished steelhead most often with 3lb lead and very soft rods, and while I still fish fairly soft rods I don't often fish less than 8lb lead, and I'll do ten if I can get away with it. By all means use what makes you comfortable but I put lots in the boat as is, so I'll be sticking with it!

K dont listen to me

I got spooled and lost 2 sturgeon within a half hour, then a bird crapped on my shoulder

That's supposed to be good not bad luck.

Tie directly from line to bait, jig or hook. The least amount of terminal tackle the best. Trolling use the best quality and smallest snap swivel to your bait.

Alright, this thread is still going! Tons of great advice all works.

Now at this time of year the fish are on humps, structure of spine going Roetzels Island to Hurricane Pt. 15 to 25 ft.

1/4 oz to 3/8 oz jig with white or shad berkley power twister tail, stinger and worm/leech. Wind pending.

At nighttime, casting silver original Rapala around docks/ shoreline structure, couple split shots foot and half away., reel in slow as possible detecting slightest hit.

Good luck again, put in the time.

Edited by ehg

Question... Is it illegal to flash a light into the water when fishing for walleye at night?

Here in Quebec, using lights is legal. Using lights is illegal only for salmon fishing but salmon fishing after sunset is illegal anyway. I worked as a conservation officer and almost everyone I encountered were under the impression that using lights when fishing at night was illegal. I've fished a bit for walleye after night fall and I found that lights actually hurt the fishing. I just use lights in the boat for tying knots, unhooking fish, etc etc.

This may be a stupid question but I'm totally new to night fishing walleye. Do guys just use the feel of the rod to determine a strike or do they use a headlamp pointed at the end of the rod? I'm bottom bouncing with a worm harness and I'm hung by the time I detect a strike.

This may be a stupid question but I'm totally new to night fishing walleye. Do guys just use the feel of the rod to determine a strike or do they use a headlamp pointed at the end of the rod? I'm bottom bouncing with a worm harness and I'm hung by the time I detect a strike.

I use a jig and grub and no light to watch the rod. line and rod help with feel too. the only light I have is the boat ones and one in my pocket to help seeing better to unhook a fish and then measure it (slot vs out of slot).

Try to keep your line tight as possible and having a sensitive rod helps with bite detection.

Another good trick is to use braid instead of mono. Mono stretches, braid doesn't.

Use a 6-10ft fluorocarbon lead and you're golden.

A gentleman caught and released a 13 pound Walter nearby yesterday. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to paste a link to another forum but here it is.

http://www.longpoint.on.ca/forum/index.php?threads/nanticoke-july-10th.43578/#post-100029

Delete if inappropriate Mods.

Well thanks OI, I've been called a lot of things over the years but not often was it "gentleman"! I was going to post a pic but got busy at work...this is just as good.

Edited by G.mech