A crappy crappie report

bigugli

Well, the daughter and I got out for a few hours Thursday evening on 16 Mile creek. The fish were biting. We caught bullheads and bluegills aplenty. More importantly we found a school of big crappie in the 11-12" size.

Now for the crappy part. As we are packing up and loading the car, my fishing rod catches me. Somehow the jig that was set in the hook keeper got stuck deep in my finger and as luck would have it,I did not have my sidecutters in the van. So here I'm sitting in the parking lot with the jig and fishing rod stuck to my hand. Thankfully there was a boy scout troop, 97 Hamilton, on hand and they had a pair of cutters so I could cut off the head of the jig and free myself from the rod.

So I drive home with hook embedded in the right hand, get my fish home and on ice, then run down to the Emerg by 9:30. I am typing this report out now at 3:30 in the morning. The nurses and doctor were a little unsure and hesitant to just push the hook out. For all this hassle they better be the best crappie I've ever tasted.

The emergency unit in North Bay (and in many other areas I'm sure) have a dedicated area for fish hook removal. Same room as stitches. There's a wall with cabinets full of fish hook removal tools, it's actually quite fascinating. I asked the doctor about it last month while getting stitched up, he said they have people come in almost daily with fish hooks needing removal. Worst he's seen was 8 hooks in the back of a musky fisherman's head.

Well, the daughter and I got out for a few hours Thursday evening on 16 Mile creek. The fish were biting. We caught bullheads and bluegills aplenty. More importantly we found a school of big crappie in the 11-12" size.

Now for the crappy part. As we are packing up and loading the car, my fishing rod catches me. Somehow the jig that was set in the hook keeper got stuck deep in my finger and as luck would have it,I did not have my sidecutters in the van. So here I'm sitting in the parking lot with the jig and fishing rod stuck to my hand. Thankfully there was a boy scout troop, 97 Hamilton, on hand and they had a pair of cutters so I could cut off the head of the jig and free myself from the rod.

So I drive home with hook embedded in the right hand, get my fish home and on ice, then run down to the Emerg by 9:30. I am typing this report out now at 3:30 in the morning. The nurses and doctor were a little unsure and hesitant to just push the hook out. For all this hassle they better be the best crappie I've ever tasted.

Sounds like a 90% great trip to me Bruce. You got out with your daughter and you hammered fish. I'd be good with that even if I ended the day like you did. And I'm sure them crappies with taste awesome :clapping: