Lake Couchiching Info

Tom S

Going to be spending some time at a cottage on the very north end of Couchiching in early July. Going to have a 14' tinner with us, wondering if anyone familiar with the lake could provide some info.

Looking for 2 things in particular:

1. I understand that the lake can kick up on windy days and can be shallow in spots. Any other navigation hazards to be aware of? I'm thinking I'm going to try to be on the water in the mornings and evenings to try to avoid the wind and traffic.

2. There will be a few youngins with us, any techniques that can be recommended that don't require a lot of casting but have potential for them to hook into something larger than a sunfish? Worm harnesses would be my go-to here, but if it's shallow and weedy it may be tough to avoid the sunfish with live bait. Trolling minnow baits gives me visions of trebles in my finger (been there, done that), jigs may be a hassle in the weeds.

Not looking for any secret spots, but if you don't wish to share publicly feel free to PM me.

The top of the lake is called the Bowling ally Green/red markers every 100 ft. Good indication on the outside are things you can hit. Straight out from Orillia launch on right is a shoal that you could hit the next markers on the left you definitely can hit. If you head up the lake towards big chief the first set on right is a shoal you can hit on the left are 2 cribs are hit able.

Couch is gin clear only lake I don't use braid or braid/flouro leader.

Edited by Garnet

Thanks for the heads up. I think we'll probably be trying to stay away from the main channel and the traffic, at least for the weekends.

We're all the way up near Washago, I believe the cottage is actually on the Severn river just past the first rail bridge. It looks like there's plenty of structure along that east shoreline as long as we keep our eyes open for hazards.