St croix and Loomis rod service

Gregoire

I have a st croix bronze back rod and the reel seat is loose. Also have an avid rod that cracked and lost the top guide insert. Anyone know if there are stores in the GTA or better yet Toronto where I can swap them out for the lifetime warranty? If not anyone have contact info. I'm specifically interested in a St Croix contact as I can always drop off the rod in Peterborough, but would like find an alternative to the expense of sending a rod to the USA.

Edited by Roaring Dan Seavey

All the info is on their website. I don't think anyone will just swap the rod out for you, but I could be wrong. Especially if it's not a manufacturing defect. The Gold Star plan offers a good rate for a new rod though. I was considering this since I have two busted rods that are no longer under warranty (5 year warranty only), but I didn't think it was worth it for a $100 rod.

There is also a Canadian shipping address:

To save freight costs, Canadian Customers may ship rods to the address below.
Please place all paperwork inside the shipping carton because customs officials will remove paperwork on the outside of the carton. All packages must be shipped to this location. FedEx Trade Networks will not accept packages in person at this location.

St. Croix Rods
c/o FedEx Trade Networks
7075 Ordan Drive
Mississauga, Ontario L5T 1K6 Canada

I had a St Croix Wild River break a few years back.I emailed them a few questions from the website,and they responded with a name and a phone number I could call to ask some questions. Their service was great. I sent the rod to the Ordan Drive address, they sent me back an upgraded rod (retailed for around 200 if I remember correctly) for 75 bucks. I wasn't even the original purchaser - Any time you can get a 200 rod for 75, well, sounds like a good deal to me. Your situation is a little different, obviously, but I found dealing with them painless and professional. Good luck

Two out of four St. Croix rods at home here have lost multiple guide inserts. What can be done if you choose is to carefully remove the guide and excess glue, find another guide and use tying thread and glue to secure a new one. I'll use a little crazy glue at first and finish later with epoxy. We have to cart our garbage to the dump where I sometimes find broken rods. If they have decent guides I'll take that piece home if need be. Will also keep broken rods too. Those guides are free and come in handy sometimes.

I really like the rods, and know the fix is pretty easy, and probably cheaper then shipping them out. I was just hoping I could find a place to swap them out so that I am not out of pocket any expenses. I will contact the manufacturers directly and update this thread if I make any progress.

I have a st croix mojo bass that the ceramic fell out of the tip, also. I emailed them about it, they asked the number that was on the rod, and they mailed me a new end guide. Pretty easy, I didn't have to even talk to anyone.

I'm okay with them.

Damaged tips are generally caused by the user reeling a metal swivel or leader into the ceramic/glass insert hard enough to crack it.

This is not a defect, it is user error. If you buy a new tip of the proper tube diameter and eye size, you need only heat the old one with a Bic, slide it off, and replace and align the new tip...Years ago we expected to change our tip guides every few years, because even soft mono would grove the metal guide of the time in a couple of seasons. Today you might need the help of a rod builder to get a new tip-top, since tackle stores aren't very knowledgeable these days.

The easiest way to damage any ceramic insert is to bang it against another ceramic insert...This often happens inside the rod locker while on a road trip. The rods slide back and forth under braking and accelerating forces and road bumps etc. The guides collide and break or fall out. If you must haul them in the boat, try using a rod sock.

The most common cause of loose or lost inserts is someone stepping on the rod. This causes the guide frame to flex, popping the ceramic insert out. Again, user error. Control your clumsy children and your friends.

I'm not opposed to guys getting new rods, but if you understand the cause, you might avoid a repeat in the future.

Thanks for all the info, I'm just going to replace the top guide as has been recommended. I contacted St Croix, and they are willing to sell me the parts, but as of now have not offered to send me a replacement.

As far as the Loomis rod goes, it looks like I have to send it in or bring it to the factory in order to get it fixed.

While I can see how user error would have caused to cracked ceramic guide, although I am not sure that is the case, I am certain that the loose cork on the Loomis rod is a manufacturing defect. By far the best customer service that I have received is with Daiwa rods. I have had a few replaced from A Aikman. It was a simple swap out and wait for the new rod to come in.