The highs and lows of fishing (and how to catch a muskie)

Dutch01

Congrats on the catch! Taking lessons from Lew on how to smile holding a big fish are paying off!

HH

Lol! Everyone here at work is saying the same thing. We were beat down and tired, plus the adrenaline from the fight and my arms burning etc, the thought of smiling never occurred to me!

Edited by Dutch01

Beauty fish Dutch, Congrats !! I am no Muskie expert but it does look very close to 20 lbs.

I caught a 22 lbr ski while walleye fishing on Pigeon as well, almost 10 years later, I still remember the fight on a medium spinning rod, 10lb test ?

Walleye have been slow for us all this spring. We're getting some, but fewer and smaller than usual. I haven't yet figured out why......

It's because the predators are HUGE this year!

Awesome catch and great story... That'll be top of mind for a while

I actually didn't think of pulling the anchor!

If I didn't find that screw, my day would have been over before it started. They replaced my steering cable too, at least that worked well yesterday.

If we get into a lunker the first thing I do is pull the anchor, 1 less thing to deal with when you have a big girl on. Then have someone steering to position the boat so you dictate where the fish is not the other way around. Like on that show Wicked Tuna, they are always maneuvering the boat to get the fish away from anything that will break it off.

If we get into a lunker the first thing I do is pull the anchor, 1 less thing to deal with when you have a big girl on. Then have someone steering to position the boat so you dictate where the fish is not the other way around. Like on that show Wicked Tuna, they are always maneuvering the boat to get the fish away from anything that will break it off.

That's a great idea, thanks! I'll do that next time for sure. One less thing to worry about.