Mass shooting in Florida--NF

npt1

And there is no way that someone who was interviewed and watched by the FBI for ties to terrorism should have been able to easily buy an a weapon.

Exactly, well said, but who is held responsible for it? Nobody, heads in the sand, not my fault, and it will continue to happen. Shameful. I'm all for responsible gun ownership and education, but at the end of the day, this continues to happen and nothing ever comes of what to do to stop it!

I read an article earlier pertaining to the "gay nightclub" comment, according to his father he was "disgusted" by a gay couple kissing in public some time back and was offended they did it in front of his wife and kid, land of the free isnt it?

I read an article earlier pertaining to the "gay nightclub" comment, according to his father he was "disgusted" by a gay couple kissing in public some time back and was offended they did it in front of his wife and kid, land of the free isnt it?

His marriage was a shortlived affair and no children, have you read the about his father yet ???????? apple don't fall far from the tree.

His marriage was a shortlived affair and no children, have you read the about his father yet ???????? apple don't fall far from the tree.

Weird, and no I didn't hear about the father what's the story?

Here's the article I read earlier.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-orlando-nightclub-shooting-live-omar-mateen-got-very-angry-seeing-two-1465749495-htmlstory.html

Edited by Lucas F

The club was an extremely soft target. No guns in the crowd and nobody rushed the shooter during reloading.

I'm thinking that at least half of you posting on this thread would have rushed the shooter during his first

reload.

A lot of ground can be covered during the 2 or 3 or 4 seconds eaten up while reloading. My time is slower

that than, but I have very little experience with an AR 15. Shooter could have and should have been taken

down while doing his first reload.

FBI was aware the shooter was a potential threat, but the FBI is held back by rules set by congress.

ok people, digest this tid bit. An off duty POLICE OFFICER working security at the club, and who would have extensive firearms training, WASN'T able to stop this guy. and there are some who suggest armed patrons would have ? smh...

Edited by woodenboater

I just heard on CNN that the first person he met entering the club was the security guard, an off duty Orlando Police Officer. 100% he was armed though that wasn't reported, just my guess. He may be the first gunned down. I would think that the club may have had a zero gun policy for entrance, most clubs do. So so much for someone else stopping the gun man with their own weapon inside the club.

I would bet at least 70% of the folks I met in Fla that live there had handguns, some in Fanny Packs or in their vehicles, many in their tackle boxes, many told me they have a gun in the house, young and old. I was shocked to see 2 elderly gentlemen show each other their guns in a Walmart parking lot. My father said call the Police, you aren't home Dad, this is Florida. I have heard shots many times at night from HWY 41 from the condo, many times. A few times fishing when Bubba thought it was a good idea to pepper the street sign when we were putting out Rods in the car during the day.

It is a good idea to carry a Fanny Pack around your waist in Florida. I did and many people wanted to know what I was "packing". It is a popular method to carry and conceal. They make them specifically for certain hand guns. Then again some nut may think you are armed and you may be the first one shot. I don't buy the "everyone should carry to protect the public". Has it ever happened? Maybe but I never heard it happening down south where Joe Public takes down a crazed gun man. Off duty Cop, yes but never but a Law Enforcement guy.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Terrible tragedy. Senseless violence.

I guess the question will come up. Could someone inflict the same amount of damage with a shotgun and a couple handguns? Does the US really need to be selling military weapons (AR 15's) to civilians?

Thoughts and prayers go out to the families affected.

Have you seen some of the handguns available to the public here? Police and military style with 15 to 30 round magazines you can change out in a few seconds? and no limit on how many magazines you can buy or own? At close range, as in a nightclub or school, they are just as deadly as an assault rifle.

You need a license and testing here to drive a vehicle, but not to own a gun, but what is a test for crazy?

Not sure if this was passed around, but this experiment always made an impression on me. Sure, you can call it a biased experiment, but it doesn't change the history of what happened.

Not everyone is/can be responsible with owning a gun and that's probably the difficult part to please everyone.

But ya, AR15 rifle? Really? Any average Joe can buy that and we saw the end result from the incident. It's clear there's a flaw in the system, but it just gets politicized and it never gets fixed. This is 2016 and as such, the Bill of Rights should be updated accordingly.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

In one of Michael Moore's documentaries, Columbine, I believe it was said that per capita Canadians own more guns legally than US citizens.

Why is it the only time I feel the need to protect myself with a gun is when I am in the US? The only continent I have never been on is Antarctica and have never felt I needed protection any where in the World but the USA. I have been going to and have lived in the States since I was a week old and have dual citizenship. I have known people down there that have been killed by guns. At the time they were killed they all had weapons on them or in their vehicles.

Weird, and no I didn't hear about the father what's the story?

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/father-of-massacre-suspect-omar-mateen-supports-taliban-on-his-tv-show

Some more that the liberal jihad deniers failed to mention in their push for more gun control

http://observer.com/2016/06/jihad-denial-kills-again/

Edited by dave524

In one of Michael Moore's documentaries, Columbine, I believe it was said that per capita Canadians own more guns legally than US citizens.

Why is it the only time I feel the need to protect myself with a gun is when I am in the US? The only continent I have never been on is Antarctica and have never felt I needed protection any where in the World but the USA. I have been going to and have lived in the States since I was a week old and have dual citizenship. I have known people down there that have been killed by guns. At the time they were killed they all had weapons on them or in their vehicles.

Come stay near my house.

Its so friggen quit and trouble free and every 5 or 10 years we have some gruesome friggen shooting.

Look up jamie perlette fort frances(happened right across the street from my house)

Or michael teetoo fort frances, went to school with both and he lived on my block

Or melanie sutton fort frances, high school friend that was murdered and cut into pieces.

I still feel pretty safe until im in the west end of thunderbay or the north end of winnipeg. Id carry in both places if I could

Still a horrible tragedy in orlando nonetheless and I heard reports of other possible targets. Lets hope thats not the case

Edited by manitoubass2

I'd bet 9 out of 10 households up North have guns in the house.

I think on some places I have lived and worked over the past 15 years where huge social issues are greatly present. Poverty, isolation, drug and alcohol abuse, domestic violence, isolation, poor education, poor leadership, poor infrastructure, suicide rates possibly beyond anywhere else on earth... and yet the gun killings which might rarely happen, are probably about 99% of the time accidents in the bush.

A very different gun culture than the one we know exists in the U.S.

By the logic being spouted by our friends here, from south of the border, they had better start updating the arsenal as I am sure that their government is constantly upgrading their arsenal. How on earth will you be able to fight your government, defend your rights, if the government has better guns then the public?

I'm starting to feel like I should not be feeling bad for the victims of this horrific event, but for all Americans who are being forced to live in a place where there is no right to live, just the right to defend.

HH

By the logic being spouted by our friends here, from south of the border, they had better start updating the arsenal as I am sure that their government is constantly upgrading their arsenal. How on earth will you be able to fight your government, defend your rights, if the government has better guns then the public?

I'm starting to feel like I should not be feeling bad for the victims of this horrific event, but for all Americans who are being forced to live in a place where there is no right to live, just the right to defend.

HH

I'm weighing in on this now only because of HH's comment. As Canadians, we cannot truly comprehend the depth of the gun culture in the US. Just as they cannot understand our aversion to it. This is because as HH illustrated, we view it from opposite angles. They see gun ownership as a right, as a basic need for life; food, shelter, security. We see it as something that erodes our security.

My work involves the small arms industry in Canada and the US. For perspective, I can confirm that one of the well known US firearms manufacturers produces 30,000 guns per MONTH. That's one manufacturer. In contrast, a top 3 Canadian manufacturer is about 6,000 per YEAR with the majority being exported.

I believe that Art believes every word he says and that if he owned a million guns himself the country would be safer than Canada. Unfortunately, that is not the case and the lack of control - of the few people that need it, is overshadowing the freedoms of the many that don't.

This is clearly a "when in Rome" scenario. If I lived in the US, in that culture...Art would be the first guy I'd call for a how to defend my family lesson. In reverse, if Art moved here, I could tell him to happily keep his collection of non prohibited firearms but the bedside home security stuff isn't necessary. Sleep easy.

With so many guns freely distributed the conversations about US gun control are about 100 years too late.

And with so many model countries that have low gun crime coupled with reasonable gun control, the choice to defend a wide open system that is clearly failing is a purposeful one. If the government tried any form of control now, they'd get their uprising sooner than later.

God bless the innocent that die needlessly and those that live in fear...in any country.

My work involves the small arms industry in Canada and the US. For perspective, I can confirm that one of the well known US firearms manufacturers produces 30,000 guns per MONTH. That's one manufacturer. In contrast, a top 3 Canadian manufacturer is about 6,000 per YEAR with the majority being exported.

As a kid, every rural hardware store had a rack of Cooey single shot shotguns , made in Cobourg and Lakefield .22's made in , you guessed it , Lakefield Ontario. Also the shelves had Canadian Industries Ltd. shotgun shells marketed under the names "Canuck and Imperial ", centrefire ammo under the brand name " Dominion " and 22 rimfire under the brands " SuperClean and WhizBang ". For a while Ithaca had a plant in Dunnville and I believe Crossman airguns had a facility there as well. All gone now.

So here's my 2 cents on the matter.

It's not about gun control... Illinois and California have the toughest gun control laws and look how well it's working.

The person responsible was a radicalized individual who followed a radical imam who preached killing all homosexuals because it's agains the Koran. And that's what he went out to do. If he didn't use a fire arm he would have used a bomb.

These people will use any means necessary to affect their purpose. If you take away their guns they will still get them or use another means to succeed. What we need to do is stop with the liberal hug everyone response and tract down the home grown radicals because their numbers are only going to expand

It's not about gun control... Illinois and California have the toughest gun control laws and look how well it's working.

The person responsible was a radicalized individual who followed a radical imam who preached killing all homosexuals because it's agains the Koran. And that's what he went out to do. If he didn't use a fire arm he would have used a bomb.

These people will use any means necessary to affect their purpose. If you take away their guns they will still get them or use another means to succeed. What we need to do is stop with the liberal hug everyone response and tract down the home grown radicals because their numbers are only going to expand

Exactly

You left out the part that he was also a domestic abuser, mentally unstable, and investigated by the FBI TWICE for his links to terrorist suspects. And with the current systems in place, he easily obtained the weapons needed to carry out the attack. Sure, you can say if there was a gun-reform in place, he could have made a bomb, but that's not the reality here. It's easy to talk the hypothetical and dismiss the reality of what happened...you can go on forever of what "might" happen, but at what point do we start doing something to start make a change to prevent what's already happened.

"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it." – Winston Churchill

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

Well for one he was never arrested or convicted for domestic assault

And as for he FBI investigation well.... Hillary Clinton is under FBI investigation and is running for the presidency... There's a problem

And firearms didn't need to be used in London, Madrid and a slew of other places.

Edited by FishnNAutographs