Mass shooting in Florida--NF

npt1

Why is the 2nd amendment so important to us? - let me try to explain - our founders knew how repressive a government can be - having just thrown off the yoke of the British crown - they wanted to make sure that the citizens of this country had the means to resist a government when it become repressive - when you look at history you see how governments in Germany, Russia, China, Cambodia and other places killed and mistreated its citizens - your own government can become your worst enemy at times

There is also the right to defend yourself and your family - it is considered an inalienable right to do so - we are guaranteed this right under our constitution - in today's climate you need a gun to do that -

Some may say that there is little chance that some citizens with guns can do much against a government that has gone wild - I beg to differ - look at the Cuban revolution - a handful of men toppled a government - one guy started WW1 - a guy with a gun can change the course of history

I've mentioned this on other forums when the subject of guns ownership can up - let me repeat it here - years ago a holocaust survivor gave a talk at a college in Allentown Pa. - after his presentation he took questions from the audience - someone asked him why the Jewish people went to their deaths without putting up a fight - his reply - with what - they took all our guns

Finally let me end with this statement - an armed citizenry is a free citizenry - if you are willing to give up your freedom for security you will end up with neither

Give it a rest, Joe. Give it a friggin' rest!! We really don't need to hear that same old tiresome old argument/rationalization/justification at this time.

Why? Its perfectly rational.

And joepa, I agree.

Remember the US has already overthrown a tyrannical government/occupation.

Thats why the 2nd is there as well.

Anyone tries to abolish it and youll have over 60,000,000 armed people defending their god given rights

I don't think anyone here is suggesting banning guns or having gun free zones. Hunting rifles, shotguns, and and hand guns all have their place as tools in the hands of the average person. But why on earth the average joe in the US needs an AR15 with a high capacity magazine makes 0 sense at all. What type of "work" would you be doing with this tool?

That's the part I can't quite comprehend. But as mentioned people are usually pretty set in their ways and have their minds made up on this topic.

Can't wait to hear what type of well educated and sensical response presidential candidate Trump has to say about this tradegy.

Edited by BassMan11

by your reasoning

then why doesnt every person have a thermonuclear weapon

because the bigger the badder the weapon the more damage the "people" can do

thermonuclear warheads don't kill people , people kill people

by your reasoning

then why doesnt every person have a thermonuclear weapon

because the bigger the badder the weapon the more damage the "people" can do

thermonuclear warheads don't kill people , people kill people

Sorry terry but thats complete idiocy.

Here is apart of the problem...

https://youtu.be/PJLR1LhxiN0

So what about the thousands of car related injuries/deaths that happened yesterday alone????

Geebus

sorry you lost any creditability a while ago

my statement was just an extension of yours..just taking it to the extreme

for the respect of the 50 I will end this now

I am not "anti-gun" by any stretch, but you have to wonder why so many Americans fight any attempt at reforming the system:

"Mateen purchased two guns — a handgun and a “long gun” — approximately a week before the shooting, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Despite being questioned by the FBI in 2013 for suspected terrorist ties, then again in 2014, Mateen was still able to obtain the guns legally."

Pretty hard to defend imo.

Education, training, registration,and back round checks are already in place. People who own guns are not against those types of measures and even encourage those types of actions. We are against being told we can not own guns or pistols. I have 2 for protection they will be used for protection so why didn't I stop at owning 2? I have a moderate collection of arms that will never be used for protection I look at guns as a collectable tool and works of art. I have been lucky enough to see a few amazing collections that go from a .22 silenced assassins weapon to a .50 Caliber sniper rifle. The collection of legally owned automatic weapons and other oddities to me look like a fine art collection. The aspect of military weapons in the civilian world is due to people using them in the war and bringing them back with them. It is a weapon that saved or keep them alive so a bond few would understand was formed. Some know I was part of the special forces and the training I received was extensive with some amazing pieces of machinery that I was trained and allowed to use. I am most comfortable shooting military style weapons with their optics and recoil reduction designs. The military really knows how to design a weapon. I have both styles military and hunting weapons and the AR15 goes to the range and is just as entertaining as my finest fishing rod on the water. If you haven't had the pleasure of shooting pistols or military weapons then you will never see my point here. Few people miss or value what they never had.

Art

I really dont believe that

and thats not the way it has been so far and for the most part in canada there have been far fewer that die in an attack like this because they dont have the same fire power, if your reasoning was right all attacks in canada would be bombs ...not..

Part of the situation is that the US has 10 times the population and in areas it's crammed together tighter. You can only accommodate so many people per/sq and then they start to get into each others face.

Part of the situation is that the US has 10 times the population and in areas it's crammed together tighter. You can only accommodate so many people per/sq and then they start to get into each others face.

So how do explain the fact that many countries have a pop density greater than the US but only a fraction of their gun deaths?

Why don't all you clowns admit you just like playing with guns? It's got nothing to do with freedom or the ridiculous notion of overthrowing an oppressive government. If you allow enough people to own assault rifles every once in a while a bunch of innocent people will lose their lives and families will be devastated. And all the idiotic arguments about banning cars and screwdrivers and knives and hammers come up and home defense blah blah blah. Watch Jim Jeffries stand up routine on gun control it outlines how Idiotic the whole argument is quite nicely.

First my deepest condolences to the families and friends to all that lost their lives and the injured. Not only those that were physically harmed but to those that suffered traumatically early this morning.

I won't enter the gun fray. If I lived in the US damned right I would carry a weapon. The longer I stayed down there the more I wished I got my Fla drivers license. With a drivers permit and a few days I can have any legal gun or guns you want and I would. You had better have milk and bread for the morning because when it got dark not many I knew would venture out east of Tamiami Trail in our town. The older I got the more I thought that way.

I don't know why the press has to report this tragedy was at a "Gay" night club? As if it makes a difference gay or straight. I do believe being a Gay club may have influenced this mad man as to where his target was maybe that's why.

Education, training, registration,and back round checks are already in place. People who own guns are not against those types of measures and even encourage those types of actions. We are against being told we can not own guns or pistols. I have 2 for protection they will be used for protection so why didn't I stop at owning 2? I have a moderate collection of arms that will never be used for protection I look at guns as a collectable tool and works of art. I have been lucky enough to see a few amazing collections that go from a .22 silenced assassins weapon to a .50 Caliber sniper rifle. The collection of legally owned automatic weapons and other oddities to me look like a fine art collection. The aspect of military weapons in the civilian world is due to people using them in the war and bringing them back with them. It is a weapon that saved or keep them alive so a bond few would understand was formed. Some know I was part of the special forces and the training I received was extensive with some amazing pieces of machinery that I was trained and allowed to use. I am most comfortable shooting military style weapons with their optics and recoil reduction designs. The military really knows how to design a weapon. I have both styles military and hunting weapons and the AR15 goes to the range and is just as entertaining as my finest fishing rod on the water. If you haven't had the pleasure of shooting pistols or military weapons then you will never see my point here. Few people miss or value what they never had.

Art

Nice!!

I don't know why the press has to report this tragedy was at a "Gay" night club? As if it makes a difference gay or straight. I do believe being a Gay club may have influenced this mad man as to where his target was maybe that's why.

I would say the gay community was targeted 100%.

There was also an arrest in Cali early this morning. The fellow had a car load of firearms and explosives.

He said he was going to the pride parade.

He came from Indiana. They have not released any info on the suspect but lets see if he too is a radical Muslim.

If it turns out he is you can bet your bottom dollar the two incidents are related.

The press had to say it was at a "Gay" club, because it is more sensational and makes for better headlines. <_<

Gun control is a bit of a catch-22 by this point.

We need easy access to guns to protect us from criminals with guns. The criminals have guns because guns are easy to access.

I think that some better form of education and regulation is required. More than what is required in the US, less than what is required in Canada. Shooting enthusiasts should be able to enjoy their sport responsibly, they are not the ones running around killing peoples. Responsible gun owners who wish to keep and store a weapon properly at home should be able to. Gun owners who don't respect their weapons or know how to store them properly need to be educated, otherwise we end up with situations such as toddlers finding and playing with guns. And there is no way that someone who was interviewed and watched by the FBI for ties to terrorism should have been able to easily buy an a weapon.