Mass shooting in Florida--NF

npt1

All the gun control in the world, wouldn't have stopped this Mateen radical from doing what he did. Even in this relatively small city of London; with the right contacts and enough money; I could likely have a frigging howitzer cannon delivered to my house.

But then again its only a single shot.

Dan.

I don't think the types of weapons being used is the real problem, I think the REAL problem is why the heck do so many Americans feel the need to go out on a regular basis and kill as many other Americans as they can.

The slaughter of innocent people south of the border for absolutely NO reason just boggles my mind.

​I like how the media keeps saying the gunman used an AR-15 when he actually used a Sig Sauer MCX.
I also like the Democrats are saying they need to stop selling these automatic weapons!!!
These liberal politicians really need to educate themselves before opening their yaps.
They just sound stupid!!!!

13406972_1453068691386132_49912499002092

In light of 49 needless deaths, I think nit-picking terminology is a bit petty.

It should be clear to everyone that this guy shouldn't have been able to buy ANY guns. If you disagree please feel free to speak up now. I'd like to know how anyone could defend that position.

Instead of being honest about that and asking "how could we have prevented him from getting them", we are attacking people's grammar and use of terminology? How do you say to the families of the dead " We're sorry for your loss, but we steadfastly refuse even the most cursory review of existing procedures"?

Edited by Dutch01

​I like how the media keeps saying the gunman used an AR-15 when he actually used a Sig Sauer MCX.
I also like the Democrats are saying they need to stop selling these automatic weapons!!!
These liberal politicians really need to educate themselves before opening their yaps.
They just sound stupid!!!!

Don'tcha know all black rifles are AR 15's unless it has a curved mag and then it is an AK 47 :ninja:

In light of 49 needless deaths, I think nit-picking terminology is a bit petty.

It should be clear to everyone that this guy shouldn't have been able to buy ANY guns. If you disagree please feel free to speak up now. I'd like to know how anyone could defend that position.

Instead of being honest about that and asking "how could we have prevented him from getting therm", we are attacking people's grammar and use of terminology? How do you say to the families of the dead " We're sorry for your loss, but we steadfastly refuse even the most cursory review of existing procedures"?

You should write for the president of the US.

Instead of a heartfelt condolence to the orlando shooting victims he went straight politcal attacking other candidates etc.

And lol dave???

The second amendment was put into in the US Constitution to ensure that citizens would have arms if a corrupt Government was in power and with arms they, the public, would be able to depose a corrupt Government. That was a few hundred years ago. So in the spirit of the law if the Government has weapons so to should I. Does that mean I should be able to own a working Abrams Tank with all ordinance or a Stealth Fighter or two?

In my opinion there is no reason whatsoever for anyone to own an assault rifle. Why, because the Constitution says so? When it was written citizens had the same basic weapon technology available to them as did the Military. A question because I don't know the answer. Could citizens own an arsenal of Cannons when the 2nd Amendment was written?

Instead of a heartfelt condolence to the orlando shooting victims he went straight politcal attacking other candidates etc.

And lol dave???

I'll take that job if I can work from Canadian soil!

You missed a fundamental distinction between the President and his detractors; he is attacking them for yet again refusing to even have a discussion on the topic. They are attacking him for wanting change in light of a systemic failure resulting in 49 needles deaths.

Edited by Dutch01

And lol dave

You mean Trump, not Obama. If you refer to Obama it just isn't true Rick. It was Trump that went right into a diatribe saying basically "I was right, told you so". No reference whatsoever to any condolences to the victims.

I'll take that job if I can work from Canadian soil!

You missed a fundamental distinction between the President and his detractors; he is attacking them for yet again refusing to even have a discussion on the topic. They are attacking him for wanting change in light of a systemic failure resulting in 49 needles deaths.

I agree, but thats not the time to do it.

Do it seperately.

Also, shouldnt the president, whos had numerous attempts at changing guns laws at least have some knowledge on guns?

I mean many people probably didnt catch it, or maybe they did??? But he flat out said the shooter had purchased the glock and it had numerous clips.

Seriously???

At least if your having the discussion on gun legislation let it involve experts.

Hes surrounded by guns all day everyday, you would think hed pick up a thing or two lol

Despite Art's protestations to the contrary, sometimes a question really is "yes" or "no".

My question is "Do you believe Omar Mateen should have been able to buy guns legally?"

I'm addressing this question to the following members:

Art

Brian B

Rick

JoePa

OVERCOAt

dave524

BITEME.Esq

(Sorry if I've missed anyone)

If you answer yes, well I don't really know what to say to that.

If your answer is no, ask yourself would you support changes to the background check system specifically designed to prevent an individual like Omar Mateen from having been able to buy those guns? Why or why not?

You could decline to answer, but that is an answer in itself.

Nit picking about someone's error here is like nit picking about the model of car that hit the hotdog lady in Toronto yesterday.

Completely classless and shows no respect for the 49 dead. The fact that you can find any humour in this tragedy speaks more about you, and your beliefs that the President not being a firearms expert. Don't need to know anything about guns to know that what happened and what will again happen, should nothing change.

BTW - Trump couldn't one iota about the victims in Orlando, they weren't going to be voting for him anyway!

HH

I agree, but thats not the time to do it.

Do it seperately.

Also, shouldnt the president, whos had numerous attempts at changing guns laws at least have some knowledge on guns?

I mean many people probably didnt catch it, or maybe they did??? But he flat out said the shooter had purchased the glock and it had numerous clips.

Seriously???

At least if your having the discussion on gun legislation let it involve experts.

Hes surrounded by guns all day everyday, you would think hed pick up a thing or two lol

Smart people recognize the limitations of their knowledge and involve experts. It really doesn't matter if he said "clip" or "magazine". It matters that he wants guys like Omar Mateen not not be able to buy guns. He lamented the fact that he can put him on a no fly list, but can't deny him a gun. He's right.

Nit picking about someone's error here is like nit picking about the model of car that hit the hotdog lady in Toronto yesterday.

Completely classless and shows no respect for the 49 dead. The fact that you can find any humour in this tragedy speaks more about you, and your beliefs that the President not being a firearms expert. Don't need to know anything about guns to know that what happened and what will again happen, should nothing change.

BTW - Trump couldn't one iota about the victims in Orlando, they weren't going to be voting for him anyway!

HH

I wouldnt say that HH. Its a horrible tragedy and I find no humour in the loss of lives, AT ALL.

And dutch, Im not "die hard constitutional guy".

My answer is no. He should not have been able to purchase these weapons IMO

Also, I dont live in the US so the outcome of gun legislation effects me in no way, shape or form. So Im just adding to the discussion.

I dont have an answer either.

All I know is that if you ban guns like australia, the body count is gonna be heaps and bounds above 49.

Also, I cannot understand this. He was visited and questioned numerous times by the FBI. How is his name not red flagged into a system of sorts barring him from legally obtaining a gun(s)?

Somewhere in here this is a rights/priveledge issue.

Smart people recognize the limitations of their knowledge and involve experts. It really doesn't matter if he said "clip" or "magazine". It matters that he wants guys like Omar Mateen not not be able to buy guns. He lamented the fact that he can put him on a no fly list, but can't deny him a gun. He's right.

Well put. But IMO he shouldnt be politizing this during what should be, a heartfelt moment of mourning for the victims.

Talk about guns seperately

My question is "Do you believe Omar Mateen should have been able to buy guns legally?"

He shouldn't have been able to, the only fact that he was able to is that the system , particularly the FBI dropped the ball bigtime.

I appreciate the answers guys.

If we can find a way to sell reasonable background checks that would have prevented Mateen from getting his guns, while protecting the existing rights of law abiding citizens, then we'd have progress. I can only speak for myself, but I really think that's all anyone is trying to accomplish here.

I appreciate the answers guys.

If we can find a way to sell reasonable background checks that would have prevented Mateen from getting his guns, while protecting the existing rights of law abiding citizens, then we'd have progress. I can only speak for myself, but I really think that's all anyone is trying to accomplish here.

Agreed.

Hopefully sooner than later. Obama has about 6 months left, I think hes gonna be using this time wisely(I hope)

Im not particularily a fan but if legislation needs to pass for resolve Id trust his hand moreso than Trump or Hillary.