Some help from the "tech savy" Please! NF

Big Cliff

Believe it or not I just won a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (ya, I know I never win ANYTHING but someone screwed up and I guess I did).

I really like it but one of the things I would really like to do is use it with a map program: tell me where I am and show me a map of the area with roads etc.. I can do it fine if I have a WiFi but can't figure out how to do it when I don't have a WiFi connection. It does have built in GPS so I think it should be possible. I can do it on my phone without any problem (costs me data).

Can this be done on the Tablet?

I don't think it actually has built in GPS receiver. Probably uses cell towers to triangulate your position. As long as you have a data connection or WiFi, it will communicate with the towers and show roughly where you are. As long as you aren't concerned about using lots of data, it should work for your purposes. You just need to set your phone as a mobile hot-spot and connect the tablet with WiFi. I'd consider a dashboard or handheld GPS over using the tablet. But the tablet does have a nice big screen...

Tablets typically come in 2 flavours, with and without a sim card slot. If you want full independent functionality you'll need a way to access data.. for example your wifi at home provides this but when you're away from home you need another way. Most tether it to their smartphone because your smartphone provides data much the same as your wifi at home does. The issue with this setup is that the smartphone data costs more than wifi. If your tablet comes with a simm card slot you can get a data plan just for your tablet, again a costly solution.

You have 2, possibly 3 options:

1. The cheapest is to use it at home and connect to wifi hotspots such as those provided in cafes, etc. Downfall is that limits where you can use it.

2. Use your smartphone as a wifi hot spot to provide a connection to your tablet. You may want to get an better data plan for your phone.

3. If the tablet has a simm slot (most do not!) then get a dedicated data plan for the tablet. Most convenient and the most $$. This option is much like having 2 cell/smart phones and plans.

PM me if you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to help :)

Hi, the samsung galaxy tab A does have a built in GPS. Also has a slot for an SD card to expand memory for large apps. The app I use for offline maps is called Osmand and I use the free version on both my tablet and phone. Download from google play. This size of tablet is great for navronics also for fishing charts. Again once downloaded ( have to purchase) you can use offline. So no data plan no cost. The only issue with continuous use is battery life. Get an a 12 volt charger for use in the boat and you are good to go. Can also use charger in car for navigation. Osmand also has a voice nav option.

Good luck.

another option if you don't try out the "off line" app's is not to get a SIM for the tablet and pay for two different data plans but consider increasing your current data plan and use the cell as the wifi hot spot as mentioned. And CONGRATS! My dad uses his tablet WAY MORE than his laptop because how easy they are to use. Enjoy

Edited by GBW

I read your post before any responses. No way I had tech knowledge to answer so I was waiting for responses. I was close, not bad for me. I would think a GPS on sale for the vehicle is the cheaper way to go rather than using the tablet. I have read on another forum where guys want to use tablets vs.Marine GPS. I have read here maybe or other forums where guys try to use tablets loaded with stuff to use as GPS on boats. The pounding of waves and being able to see the screens in sunlight makes them useless, plus they aren't water proof. I know that wasn't what you wanted it for though.

I'll stick with Greata Penelope Snuffendoodle, GPS.

OI is correct if you plan on using it for navigation/fishing.

A tablet in the boat is as good as a tablet at the bottom of the lake

Not necessarily...... when I had my iPad, I had a Lifeproof case for it, which made it 100% waterproof.

Coupled that with a suction mount, and I had quite the screen for viewing. Problem was, on bright days, even when toggled to its brightest setting, it didn't matter, as you could barely make anything out.

You needed a towel or something of the sort, to shade you from the sun.

Hi, the samsung galaxy tab A does have a built in GPS. Also has a slot for an SD card to expand memory for large apps. The app I use for offline maps is called Osmand and I use the free version on both my tablet and phone. Download from google play. This size of tablet is great for navronics also for fishing charts. Again once downloaded ( have to purchase) you can use offline. So no data plan no cost. The only issue with continuous use is battery life. Get an a 12 volt charger for use in the boat and you are good to go. Can also use charger in car for navigation. Osmand also has a voice nav option.

Good luck.

Thank you, that is exactly the information I needed. I don't need it for fishing, I already have an HDS 5 on the boat. I also have a GPS in my car but sometimes I find it nice to just be able to look at a map. The screen on the phone and on the GPS is a little small for that, the tablet screen is much nicer to work with.

I really appreciate your help!

WOW! Well I tried it out today and I have to tell you it is EXACTLY what I needed! I like it even better than Google maps and I did like Google maps.

Once again, thank you so much keswickman for taking the time to help me with that, I hope I can return the favor one day!