Texting and talking while driving - Solution? NF

Headhunter

I've been putting my thinker box to work lately, trying to come up a solution to the problem of people texting/talking on their cell phones while driving.

I have read that texting and driving is equated to driving while impaired, from an ability to perform behind the wheel perspective. Well, with that thought in mind, why not equate the penalties in a similar way?

To that end, I humbly suggest that those caught texting/calling/surfing while behind the wheel, be subject to not only the now roughly $400 fine, but also confiscation of their phone for a period of time.

We take the car away from a drunk driver, why can't we take the phone away from a distracted driver?

First offense, phone confiscated for 10 days

Second offense 30 days

Third offense 90 days

Probably won't ever completely solve the problem, but I bet many would think twice before they reach for the phone while driving.

Your collective thoughts?

HH

For get taking the phone good idea and all just impound the car. Really you know you shouldn't be doing it

It pisses me off I ride most of the summer and it's amazing how many people do it and make random lane changes or lane drifts my neck is getting sore

Peter

I think you may be right Peter, the car is licensed, the driver is licensed, but the phone is not. Impounding the car, is probably the easiest legal route to go. Impounding the phone as evidence until trial could be another tact.

With the traffic on the highways here in the GTA, you have to keep your wits about you. I don't need a distracted driver to take me or my family out, cause they got a text.

HH

Here is a techy solution which Im sure could easily be done today.

Install software that disables the phone at speed.

Let it operate in airplane mode at high speeds, and keep the emergency 911 function in tact.

Dragons den here I come

Edited by manitoubass2

I might need my phone for an emergency at high speeds. Like to call 911 when I see someone texting or talking while driving. Rick you will need the phone to talk to the Paramedics when you are driving to the Hospital doing 140KPH when you two have another Baby!!!!

The only times when I came close to an accident while driving was when it was legal to talk on the phone. I made it my own rule over 10 years ago not to use the stupid thing when driving and my business partner and associates would get incensed when I would let it go to voice mail. I won't use the hands free (Blue teeth?)now as I need all the concentration I cam muster to drive these days. No Rick it's not old age it's all the ignorant and unskilled drivers they allow to drive today.

Can people just use common sense today? I still have friends that refuse to wear their seat belts in the truck or PFD in the boat. I even have a spare inflatable for them. Well they used to refuse, now they can drive themselves or buy their own boat and do what they wish.

How about if ignoramuses may be shot on sight?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Let it operate in airplane mode at high speeds, and keep the emergency 911 function in tact.

Dragons den here I come

Good idea

All good except for when a passenger is using their phone in a car!

HH

In theory it could work as long as the car has a hands free option and then the cell must be synced to the car every time you get in.

Dragons den here I come

Makes sense for sure. I don't have a problem with talking as mine's synced through F-150. All voice commands. But texting and driving is nuts. I don't get it, I'm not a cop but i see at least 20-30 drivers a day texting. Even one kid right beside a cop. Cop looks over and keeps driving. Until they start strictly enforcing this will remain an issue.

Upon conviction 6 demerit points like with drinking and driving or passing the school bus with lights flashing. In all three cases poor choices can lead fatal accidents. I wonder what insurance would be for an 20 year old guy with six demerit points?

I see cops messing with their phones while driving all the time. I cant text and drive. Im all over the road, so i dont even bother. Blue tooth and voice to text if i have to.

S.

Not saying its right but police are allowed to use hand held devices in the vehicle. Yes its stupid and hypocritical.

Bluetooth is so widely available its shocking anyone chooses to "physically" txt a message nowadays.

Good on everyone that uses hands free devices and bluetooth.

I do think my idea is plausable and a good solution to eliminate the people txting and driving.

According to latest studies, and what I always believed, even hands free is distracting...its not the holding the phone, its the concentrating on the conversation instead of driving

According to latest studies, and what I always believed, even hands free is distracting...its not the holding the phone, its the concentrating on the conversation instead of driving

Its literally no different than talking to a passenger

I say "txt dad, lets go fishing"

My eyes have never once left the road nor my hands the wheel.

Same for phone calls

Its trying to grab objects, do alternative tasks etc while driving that bring added danger to the equation.

Also, some people just suck at driving. My friend for instance. Heading to work at dusk, gets distracted by grabbing his coffee. Looks up to see a deer. Instinct apperently tells him to veer into oncoming traffic and hit an 8ft ditch.

Not only is his truck totalled, he gets charged. Insurance goes up. Breaks a few ribs and misses time at work.

Thankfully nobody is dead nor involved in the incident.

All that, and all he had to do was actually hit the deer. Minimal damage all things considered.

Yup.

Talking bussniess hands free, LEGAL, and asked a price or what not. Yup, I have it right here. Reaches over to grab the folder, takes EYES OFF the ROAD for a SPLIT second and WHAM. Rear ends someone.

I run a business from a cell phone and all of my trucks have hands free talking on it. The texting and internet are off limits while the truck is in gear. If you want to give me information like address or product names they send me a text that I answer at the next job before I go in. I see on average 80 % of the people driving distracted from putting on make up to searching the internet. It blows my mind that people think they can operate a vehicle with these distractions. I was rearended by a texter and the damage to my 2015 Transit was over $5000.00. The week it took for the repairs was a down week and I could not recover the lost wages unless I go to small claims court. Their text cost me over $3500.00 that is not fair in my opinion.

Art

The only way I think it'll ever work is if they start zero tolerance enforcement with a super steep scale for offences. 1st offence, 3 points, $500.00 and car impounded for a week. Second offences, double all that and scoop the license for 6 months minimum. 3rd offence - license gone, car gone, and 60 days of 3 hots and a cot. Sorry if I seem harsh, just know of too many (1 would be too many if ya think about it!) who've had tragic changes to their lives because someone had to LOL someone else instead of driving intelligently! It ain't that hard to pull over if they gotta deal with it right now, whatever the issue is will still be there when they get to it. They'll be more likely to get to it AND get home every time if they do pull over or ignore it till later!

However, the easiest solution is to shut the dang phone OFF, BEFORE starting the engine. I've seen me do it and it works!

Michael

I'm not sure that there would be a workable way to impound the phone....the service providers, Bell, Rogers etc. would fight it to the Supreme Court. I understand that fines simply provide a certain level of pain, however, $400 is nowhere near enough pain. First offence should be 4 demerit points and $1000.00, automatic and no pleading in court. The level of pain would then be increased through their insurance company depending on whether the offender has had other driving issues. Second offence should be severe enough in terms of demerits that the offender loses driving privileges and will probably need to go to the secondary insurance market to obtain coverage and that is VERY painful. If I seem a little callous and passionate about this issue, I have seen first hand some of the carnage caused by those that choose to text and drive........