Trip to Nippigon

floater

I'm starting to look at a trip up to Lake Nipigon for next year. I'd like to know if anyone can suggest when is the best time to go? We'd like to target Pike,pickerel and Specs. Going to be staying in a truck camper at that Municipal Park north of Beardmore and fishing out of a 14 deep and wide with a 30hp. We can go anytime between May to Sept. Thanks

The lake off Beardmore is a tough go if you get a week of wind. We've always gone to South Bay. Much more sheltered. You can always get out of the wind on most days. There is an excellent boat launch . Lots of people haul campers in and camp at the landing that is about 200yds from the ramp. Check Google Earth and you can see it. We'd always go 2nd week in June. Water temp is usually 10 degrees. Good brookie and excellent laker. Average laker is about 10lbs. Lots of fish into the low 20's. They're shallow. You flat line with mono, but we'd use 3 colours leadcore. We always used a Lund SSV 14 with a 20 Honda. It's safe if you don't do anything stupid. I've seen guys that run out to Shakespeare Island in boats this size, with no back-up motor or extra gas. I think Darwin had an award for this. It's an inland sea. Best to treat it with respect. Dress warm. We'd fish in snowmobile suits some years, and you could see your breath in the boat. If you get a stretch of bad wind, you can still trailer a 14 footer to many other lakes on the same road that have excellent pike and walleye fishing, or you fish the sheltered Nip River for big specs.

Edited by Fenelon

Great tips and info. I'm not sure I can wait till next year though! On further looking at maps of the area I see there is a Gorge Rd off of Hwy 11 north of Nipigon. Has anyone camped along this road and launched a 14 foot boat? I remember fishing Lake Jean up there along time ago but can't remember how to get to it but would like to try some of the other lakes along this road in case Nipigon is too windy.

Edited by floater

Before I get too old I would like to fish Nipigon some time - from what I can gather there is a Provincial Park on the eastern side of the lake - I guess that would be a place to park my truck and slide-in camper and launch a boat - maybe I'll never make it but sure would like to see the place - just wondering if there are other places to park and launch a boat - like a campground on the lake - its about a 20 hour drive from where I live according to google maps - oh - I'm 82 now so I can't wait too long -

They have campsites and a launch at Onaman River resort. Went there a few years back and rented a cottage, fishing was fantastic (end of July/start of August) the only downside is that you've got a 6 or 7km run to the lake and back each day down the river, however, if the wind is nasty, you can stay in the river and catch pike and eyes all day. The trout are further out into the lake that time of year, but big eyes and pike are all over the place in the shallow bays at the end of the river.

The provincial Park is not accessible from the road and besides the Onaman River resort there is no access at that area.. the ramp is public but you best check with the owner of the resort where to park as he will have you towed if he doesn't like where you park..

It's a small parking area at Onamans right at the ramp so yes, it's preferred you check with the owner as where to best park after launching. Some locals can be idiots as I've seen first hand at more than one launch into that lake.

Got your PM Joe and will get back to you, just on the run here.

It's a small parking area at Onamans right at the ramp so yes, it's preferred you check with the owner as where to best park after launching. Some locals can be idiots as I've seen first hand at more than one launch into that lake.

Got your PM Joe and will get back to you, just on the run here.

never park at the bottom of the hill.. even though it's public land you want a vehicle waiting for you when you get back.. check with the camp and he will tell you where to park.. lol.. give respect and you get it back..