THE ALL MIGHTY MEEGS

misfish

The start

DSCF4570_zpsv1gppz4h.jpg

It,s has been serving me well the past few weekends, getting me my whities. My confidence is through the roof with this bait now. I have heard and seen it will catch lakers as well. This, I had yet to conquor.

That was until, this morning. First lets get the whitie out of the way. Yup, nailed one the first 5 minutes. In the well it went for adinner for me bud and his mrs,s. :clapping:

DSCF3026_zpsqzfgwmib.jpg

Back down goes the meegs. Theres a fish on the graph zipping around. Big marks from this one. I keep moving the jig up 3 ft or so, smash it back on the bottom and repeat. Then as Im lifting, the mark makes a beeline for the jig. Fish on. At first I thought it was a good whitie. Then it decided to make a run and another run and yet another run. Ok, not a whitie. A 15 minute battle, with a 46" R-TYPE ice rod,loaded with 10 pound Nanofil and a 4 ft leader of P-Line floro clear, joined only by a uni to uni knot.

Get it to the boat,me bud nets it up. Inhaled the meegs

DSCF3023_zpsjyns88hv.jpg

Can only amagine the battle if it had a whole tail. Not sure what happen to it.

DSCF3025_zps3koybnyp.jpg

My first on the meegs and biggest on a ice rod. A quick pic and back it went to the depths to rest and yet play with another angler some day. :D

DSCF3024_zpsd64g5cr7.jpg

Both fish onboard just before 6am. The rest of the morning we washed spoons. LOL

If the rain holds off, I,ll be out on the toon in the AM. :Gonefishing::Gonefishing:

Edited by Brian B

Brian your name and a Meegs are synonymies. I have caught exactly 1 whitefish in my entire life many Moons ago on Bear Creek on Nippising. It tipped the scales at 9 freakin' pounds and the Ontario record was 10 something then. It was the largest fish to date in my novice fishing career around 1980. We didn't even know what it was until we asked a neighbour to ID it and weigh her. I have to admit it wasn't entirely legal as I was having a nap in the cottage when I caught it.

Beauty tank laker Bri!

I wonder what the story about loosing half its tail.

I've never heard of using an ice rod for open water jigging, what's the advantage?

Thanks bud

It,s my set up for the toon, so it,s what I used today. I will say though, it gives the same feeling as when ice fishing. Movement wise. Although, I was using the same jig on a 6.6 UL Ugly stick last weekend and still got fish.LOL

Those R-Type rods have some major back bone. I have 4 now, and love them.

Edited by Brian B

Id imagine using an ice rod for jigging in a toon would be alot of fun! And save alot of space, increase mobility

Space for rods is not a problem. I have rod holders behind the seat. I,ll be adding 2 more before the bass season opens. :D

I've got way more hours vertical jigging lakers on an ice rod rather than a long rod in a boat, so there's a comfort factor there too

this could be a new trend :)

Im already planning on trying it haha. Might even try for walleye/panfish

Watch it catch on and ice rods get up to the $80/$90 dollar range???

Edited by manitoubass2

Is it possible these fish are in an area competing for space with pike and or muskie?

Ive seen pike take a swipe at other fish, not to eat them, but just kinda a "hey, this area is mine" type a thing

That's the first thing I though of was a pike since this laker came out of 25fow. It looks pretty fresh to