RIP to the Greatest Ever NF

Humanity has lost one of it's greatest citizens. I have been following his career and life since I was 8 years old and listened to his championship match against The Bear Sonny Liston sitting on the living room floor with the family. On a lark a buddy and I drove to Cherry Hill N.J. to see his home back in 77' on our way to NYC. He wasn't home but we met his then wife and she gave us autographed photos of him.

I could go on for hours talking about my childhood hero Muhammad Ali. I have read every book and watched every movie about him. There were many times in his life he was basically a mean person the way he treated his ex wives. Very contrary to his Muslim teachings. I still loved the man because of his treatment of others less fortunate than him. I could write a book about the man. Thinking back I first heard about this Clay character from my Uncle that was born in Louisville Ky. before the 1960 Olympics in Rome where he won the Gold in the Light Heavyweight division. He was a skinny 18 year old teen then. When a young teen his Father took his brother Rachman (sic) Ali and himself to a wrestling match featuring the bleached blond Gorgeous George. He based his pre fight bravado on him as he saw the crowd go nuts.

My favorite quote from many of his famous quotes, " I'm so fast that when I get out of bed to turn the light out I'm back in bed before it gets dark".

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, rumble young man rumble" Buddini Brown.

I an very sad today. I tried my best but never met him in person, I came close in the 70's when he visited Hamilton boxing legend Joey Callura (former World Champion in the 30's) at his Hamilton Gym in the 70's, something I have wanted to do since I was 6 years old. Came close but never did meet him.

This is a very sad day for me. You either loved the man or despised him, nothing in between.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I loved the fact many hated him. He sure stood his ground though.

And his words about domestic and foreign wars really caught me.

Remember when he was supposed to fight wilt chamberlain? Lol

Many say he was the greatest of all time, Ill call it a tie with rock marciano(for heavyweights).

"If you ever dream of beating me you better wake up and apologize".

IMO,he was the best,would love a dvd collection of all his fights.Watching all the news channels today,loved his fighting and cockiness,which he could stand behind.Did watch many of his fights,after today with all the flashbacks,I need to find a collection of his fights. RIP sir !!!

I never saw any of his fights live but I don't think there will ever be another like him.

Love him or hate him, he will willing to go to jail and give up fame and fortune for what he believed in.

In a day in age now where athletes won't raise their voice for fear of losing sponsorships or losing their multi-million dollar contract, no one will ever, ever do the political things from a sports career that Ali did.

RIP to the greatest.

I loved the fact many hated him. He sure stood his ground though.

And his words about domestic and foreign wars really caught me.

Remember when he was supposed to fight wilt chamberlain? Lol

Many say he was the greatest of all time, Ill call it a tie with rock marciano(for heavyweights).

"If you ever dream of beating me you better wake up and apologize".

I would have said he was the greatest pugilist of all time until I saw this Mike Tyson kid but that was before Tyson let his life spiral out of control. If you take everything, his entire body of work into consideration he was by far a better fighter than Tyson and Rocky Marciano put together. He was the only Boxer that could fight and the only fighter that could box. He nearly lost his life during "The Rumble in the Jungle" against Foreman, the rope a dope was sheer genius and no one including Angelo Dundee knew that he was planning on doing that. That argument will go on forever as to who was the best fighter of all time, he may have been the best athlete of all time.

Does anyone remember the fight between Ali and Marciano? It was a 15 round slobber knocker that Rocky won on points if I remember right. Come on Rick, no Googling allowed. How about the Wrestling match in Tokyo? He could promote a Quilting Bee and make it a pay per view hit. I am happy to have been old enough to enjoy him in his prime. I still kick myself for not seeing the Chuvallo fight at Maple Leaf Gardens. Stupido.