Hot Dogs - hey put a camera in a factory! NF

Headhunter

man, people have obviously not seen how sausages are made in mass numbers. its the same thing just using a finer grind than sausage to give it a smoother texture. when we make sausage at work, the holes in the grinder plate are about the size of a pencil. then there is your standard ground beef size grind, and then there the finer grinds, that make meat come out looking like mush

Have a couple of lester hotdogs on the bbq as i write this

I look out my front window at the largest hot dog factory in the country.. I'd love to tour it but I wouldn't want to be an employee there... seems to be a tough place to work judging by the large turnover rate.

I look out my front window at the largest hot dog factory in the country.. I'd love to tour it but I wouldn't want to be an employee there... seems to be a tough place to work judging by the large turnover rate.

same could be said for any job in the meat industry, some people just can't handle the smells, or the hours, or just the amount of work involved. not to mention the heavy lifting and just people in general

Edited by FloatnFly

Just eat whatever you want and eat in moderation. There are no more vegans or vegetarians or hot dog avoiders living to 110 than any other group of people.

Nothing better than a hot dog at the ball park (or at Costco with an iced tea for $1,50 for that matter). I know what is in them and I don't really care. My ancestors in Europe raised their own animals and when they processed one, there was virtually nothing that did not get used other than what was inside the guts. I think that hot dogs is a much better treat than how they would eat those same parts. Especially with sourcrout mustard, relish and ketchup!.

Edited by Canuck

Just eat whatever you want and eat in moderation. There are no more vegans or vegetarians or hot dog avoiders living to 110 than any other group of people.

Nothing better than a hot dog at the ball park (or at Costco with an iced tea for $1,50 for that matter). I know what is in them and I don't really care. My ancestors in Europe raised their own animals and when they processed one, there was virtually nothing that did not get used other than what was inside the guts. I think that hot dogs is a much better treat than how they would eat those same parts. Especially with sourcrout mustard, relish and ketchup!.

Can only amagine the noses that would be turned up at a feed of blood pudding. No, not that maple leaf crap, the real stuff.LOL

Can only amagine the noses that would be turned up at a feed of blood pudding. No, not that maple leaf crap, the real stuff.LOL

lol we're getting more and more european backgrounds in the store, and that means more awfuls are being used, chicken feet being a big one, also chicken hearts and livers

lol we're getting more and more european backgrounds in the store, and that means more awfuls are being used, chicken feet being a big one, also chicken hearts and livers

I have tried the one that brandt meats make. It,s not bad to much fat chunks in it, but nothing on a good newfie blood pudding.

Worked in many departments in the Schneiders meat plant in Kitchener for years getting through university. Worked with the hotdog and bologna lines and saw what goes in em.

1. Balogna and hotdogs are same thing. Only diff is a line switch from the same huge 2 storey tall blender that allows the goo to travel to a different sized tube system. (Yet people eat balogna in sandwiches raw raw but feel the need to cook hotdogs. haha!

2. When a net splits on beef roast/hams/? this goes into 'rework' and ends up in hotdog/bologna recipe.

3. When the 6ft long tubes of various luncheon meats are 'poured' and cooked workers trim off the rounded ends (the round slices you buy in packages used to be part of said 6' tubes with rounded/closed ends before the goo is cooked to turn hard for slicing and raw consumption). The rounded ends are again, gathered in large bins and put into the hotdog/bologna recipe.

4. the recipe is made up of all the above in large quantities along with cereal grains and such as well as...see next point.

5. 'lips and asses' is incorrect. I worked the slaughter house area also and there are animals strictly used for sausage meat due to their poor quality for stuff like steaks, roasts and hams/ bacon. Where do you think all the old dairy cattle, female pigs used to bear young, bulls, roosters and such go? Into sausage items like hotdogs, bologna and the many other luncheon meats.

I'll eat Schneiders hotdogs or bologna raw anytime. Only thing pisses me off is now that Maple Leaf has apparently bought out Schneiders and closed the plant AND messed with the hotdog/bologna recipe, whatever happened to the recipe is bad since to me the Redhots and garlic/blueribbon bologna does not taste nearly as good as before.

Same thing with Shneiders bacon. It used to be the best by far. It went downhill right after ML bought them. It seems to have moved a bit back to where it was but its not the same. I like the boutique small company bacon now. Not the grocery store stuff

I don't eat fish because they swim in their own poo.... :sarcasm:

You joke, but j won't eat tilapia or basa (farmed catfish) for that reason. They REALLY swim in their own poo.

Edited by Canuck

I just watched the video...seriously, what's the big deal? Personally, for a very long time I haven't eaten beef or pork. I do eat some chicken and mostly fish. But that's a cholesterol / triglycerides / gall bladder decision.

I'm sure that video was not 100% explicit in the ingredient list but from what was shown, the fat content and salt would be the biggest culprits. If you're eating enough hotdogs to have them single-handedly drive up your triglycerides or LDL choresterol, you need to rethink your menu. I love BBQ hotdogs...toasted buns...diced onions, corn relish and ketchup. ahhhhhh memories!

Not to derail this thread but high cholesterol comes from liver issues, not food intake.

Anyhow, I enjoy hotdogs every once in awhile. Thems good eats at the campfire with a few wobbly pops

There's multiple reasons for high cholesterol but food is absolutely one of them. Diets in high saturated fats and trans fats are a direct link to having high levels of bad cholesterol.